Mojito Recipe

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by siamsam, Nov 30, 2013.

1. siamsam

siamsam Member

Does anyone have a good recipe for Mojitos does not have to be original recipe? There are plenty on the net I know but I want some input based on your experiences.

1. What rum did you use? White,Dark, Brand.
    2. What sugar did you use? ( brown sugar, white sugar, caster sugar,sugar syrup, cane sugar syrup)
    3. Did you use soda water or club soda ( kind of like solo ... lemon)?
    4. Should I make by the glass or by the jug ( only a small group of people for xmas lunch about 6 people )

I appreciate the input. :thumbup:

2. gra55hoppah

gra55hoppah Member

1: Havana Club 3 Anos (Yellow label, feint yellow tinge to the liquid) would be the rum to go for, Good product at a good price.

2: I often use white sugar, seen allsorts used though, dunno it makes a huge difference to it

3: Soda Water & Club Soda are the same thing i believe, don't want squash for this!

4: They pretty easy to make, given there aren't too many of you, id just make them fresh - Ive always followed Havana Club's method, just get the lime's squeezed beforehand and you can make heaps at a time :)

3. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

This is the recipe I use:

Got my own mint growing in the garden too. Nothing beats a mojito on a summer's day with freshly picked mint leaves. So refreshing and tasty.

4. OP
    OP
    siamsam

siamsam Member

Thank you both for your replies I think I will go with Havana Club 3 Anos as the alcohol as I don't have a good relationship with bacardi :). Like you ThE_BiG_O I also have my own mint garden which is why I decided on Mojito for xmas lunch drinks that and it is hot hot hot here in Townsville. Thanks again guys cheers

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Personally I much prefer them with dark rum. To each their own I guess

Dark rum and brown sugar

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

The trick to a good mojito is to make up a batch of simple syrup (1 to 1 sugar and water in a saucepan) the night before.

Muddle the mint leaves well with the lime. The rest is foolproof.

7. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

Personally I use raw sugar as I like the sweetness sitting at the bottom.
    I also go sugar, mint, then crush it some to break up the mint then squeeze in the limes and drop them in and muddle. Rum, ice and soda to taste.

8. OP
    OP
    siamsam

siamsam Member

Thanks for the suggestions I like the idea of sugar syrup so I will give that a go if they are popular I may try the mojito with the dark rum and brown sugar as suggested.
    Questions
    Could I use bottle lime juice instead of limes as they are expensive, can I mix them? Or will I just have to pay more and get limes?
    Has anyone tried Havana Club Añejo Especial Rum instead of the Havana Club Añejo 3 Años Rum, which is better? One is 3 years and the other 5 years normally the longer aged spirits are superior.
    cheers

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  9. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

Yes but it doesn't taste as nice, I find real limes give a sharper tang and also you get bits of pulp in the mix that I like.

Depends how strong you mix the drink, the more mint/lime/sugar you add the more obscured the rum gets, there's sure to be a difference but whether you'll care or not?

10. Sorrow

Sorrow Member

Whilst working in a cocktail bar I made a fair few Mojito's, everyones taste is different and we had customers going to certain bartenders because they preferred their mojitos. Naturally if you are making/tasting your going to make it to your own liking.

Obviously ingredients were the same, but the proportion to soda/sugar were different.

We used 1.5 shots Bacardi 8yo which is damn good.

Process was muddle 1tsp raw sugar, half a lime (cut in 4), 4 mint leaves, teaspoon or so of sugar syrup. Add rum fill with crushed ice and stir, then top up with soda and sprig of mint for decoration.

All in an 8oz glass.

One of those babies during summer in london was the fucking nuts.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  11. OP
    OP
    siamsam

siamsam Member

Thanks again everyone for your tips and suggestions I will let everyone know how things go with photos ... cheers

12. ironized

ironized Member

I'm a bit late to this one sorry.

Mojitos are one of my favorites as they offer great opportunities for variance.

My "Classic" Mojito.

Freshly grown mint in the bottom of the glass, 1/3rd of lime cut in wedges on top, teaspoon and a half of course brown sugar. 2 shots of Havana club.

Muddle all of the ingredients in a boston shaker, add ice, roll in ice, pour into serving glass, top with soda water or lemonade to taste.

Other Mojitos worth trying:
    Lychee Mojito.
    As above, though with 30ml rum, 30ml Lychee Liquer. and 3 canned lychees in the muddle.
    Original Mojito (native to Cuba)
    Use havana club, spearmint and sugarcane juice/syrup

Other Mojitos I'm still perfecting for service.
    Chilli and Ginger Mojito
    Banana Mojito

edit: Re Sugar/Simple Syrup.
    For mojitos, caprioskas and caprihinias I do my best to avoid using sugar syrups. Firstly, I find the coarse grain of the sugar beneficial when muddling the limes. Secondly, the big issue with sugar syrup is consistency. Sugar Syrups can vary in both texture and strength which can make perfecting the drink a difficult task.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  13. OP
    OP
    siamsam

siamsam Member

Thank you ironized for your post I will try the original mojito first and progress to trying new version if they are received well. The granular sugar makes sense in the muddling procedure and seems less likely for me to stuff up. Cheers everyone :)