Monitor Aquaponics system, what to use?

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Mattu, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Mattu

Mattu Member

Hi there,

Was wondering if any of you had any ideas of what cheap system i can use for monitoring stuff like pH/temperatures/water levels/dissolved oxygen. Would like to do this remotely.

Ultimately in the future would like some control over some valves/pumps.

Any recommendations ?

Arduino came to mind, but is there any others that are far more user friendly?

Cheers!

2. digamma

digamma Member

Subbed, I'm very curious about this.

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Interested in this as well. There are monitors like this for aquariums but they are expensive.

4. Digit

Digit Member

Hey mate, i have a mate who is studying electrical engineering and makes these systems for his own place and i'm pretty sure he uses a Raspberry Pi for control, and uses Java i think for the interface and controlling. He's heaps busy atm though so he probably couldn't help out, but if there's any questions you have for him let me know and i'll pass them on.

Aside from that, i work for a company that sells sensors like pH sensors, temperature and water level monitors and so on, but from your post i gather you want to make them and the system yourself? Not sure whether i am allowed to post a link to my work's website or not so, mods, if i'm not, just delete it yeah?

www.semrad.com.au

They do these systems for massive organisations like the Navy etc, so, without knowing the scale of your project i dunno whether their gear would be too high end or expensive and so on.

5. bryn

bryn Member

Arduino would be the natural fit- such a big range of stuff available so minimal effort required.

I think you'd get better responses in a different sub-forum. hobby engineering?

6. OP
    OP
    Mattu

Mattu Member

cheers guys, it looks like arduino is best suited too!

Built a 700L system from an IBC with auto siphon at my parents house last week and its currently working well with about 30 silver perch.

My house settlement is due in 10 days, so hopefully i can get this working on the IBC system by the end of summer, which i can then replicate to the system i plan to build at my new place. This system should be about 2000-3000L!

keep you guys updated.

7. scrad

scrad Member

I have a 1200 odd L system as well, after some woes with growbed media (protip: quartz/marble etc will make your pH go sky high, which will mean your fish will die when the ammonia spikes), it is finally going good.

I plan to monitor the thing with an arduino spitting info out over the serial connection that can update a webpage/whatever.

The other thing I want to monitor is flow rate, so if the pump stops for whatever reason I can turn on an airpump/trigger alarms.

So with that, Subbed as well. If I manage to get anything going, I will post updates.

8. Kremit

Kremit Member

Been looking into this a lot lately. I have been asked to build a wireless mesh of sensors for work and we are going to use the udoo (i have the quad core model), http://www.udoo.org/, as the master node/server/main dashboard display, not bad seeing that it has all the advantages of the pi (and its quad core), running linux, and all the i/os and interrupts of the arduino. I like the fact i can have it running a proper apache server, sql server, webmin etc, and uses very little power. been looking into using something like highcharts, a java script package that allows you to do a dashboard style web interface with live gauges etc.

For a test setup i have set up a temperature sensor on my fish tank and have it running a live graph and analog gauge on the net. Still a lot of work to do on it, but it is a start.

I do have an ultrasonic distance meter attached to it too, but haven't set up the web side of it.

There are plenty of tutorials/howtos on the net that show you how to use the ethernet shield as a web server for the arduino, certainly not as powerful as the udoo, or even the pi, but a fair bit cheaper.

Any questions i'll help where i can.