SOLVED Monitor going blank randomly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Yehat, Nov 7, 2018.

?

Monitor Next steps

1. It's dead Jim - time to move on, don't spend more money on it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buy another power adapter and try that (then refer to option 1 above)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (please specify details in post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nacho Nacho Man...I want to be the Nacho Man!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yehat

Yehat Member

Hi looking for some opinions/advice,

Monitor: Samsung s27a950d

Background:
    • Monitor is about 5+ years old and had been working perfectly till about a month ago when one day it didn't power on at all.
    • No externally visible signs of root cause (i.e. no smoke/burning smell, no sparks, no popping sound etc just wouldn't power on).
    • Took a punt and bought a replacement power adapter off e-bay (a Samsung one with same part/model as the original).
    • Now the monitor powers up and the display picture quality is fine except for one glaring issue below.

What's the Issue:
    When the screen is on for periods of time (sometimes a few minutes, sometimes say 15mins), it will randomly go blank, wait a few seconds, then the picture will come back. When this happens it will repeat 3-4 times before going back to normal. It's pretty annoying when it happens during a game (especially multiple times) that's for sure. If in windows, it will make the sound that a device has been disconnected, and then reconnected.

I've been able to replicate a similar issue outside of Windows (like if I'm at the bios screen):
    • If I go into the on screen controls and increase the brightness above 72/100 (factory default is 66/100).
    • When this happens the monitor looks like it's rebooting as it goes blank and then the increased brightness setting isn't persisted.
    • But in this case it doesn't go blank 3-4 times it's just once.
    • Changing other settings (like contrast) on the OSD works without issues.

Troubleshooting Attempted - (based on google): Running with just the single monitor connected only (i.e. removed secondary monitor)
    • Turning it on/off again multiple times
    • Leaving monitor unplugged for hours and trying again (to see if it's possibly a heat issue, but same result).
    • "Factory Reset" on the monitor multiple times
    • Plugging into different power sockets (within a powerboard and directly into different wall sockets)
    • Different interface cables (switched between 2xHDMI, 2xDisplayport cables)
    • Changing the windows refresh rate (120hz, 100hz, 60hz) and changing the monitor's "refresh interval" setting (Fastest->Normal)
    • Tried different systems/video cards (GTX1070, RX570) with latest drivers
    • As a comparison using a different monitor works fine with no issues with the above cables/power sockets/systems.

My Suspicion?
    (a) It could either be the replacement power adapter isn't quite right.
    (b) Or (more likely I think) whatever caused the original power adapter to not work is actually a failure inside the monitor itself and the original power adapter (and this one) not working is just the symptom and not the root cause?

For your consideration/input ?
    Given the above details I'm not sure if it's worth trying to buy an additional power adapter to rule out if the e-bay one could be an issue (as mentioned previously it is a Samsung one which matches the original specs/part number).

On one hand it's been a really good monitor but I wouldn't want to keep throwing good money after bad particularly on something that's 5+ years old already.

I'm interested in people's thoughts as to either what else I might be able to check/do, and/or if you think given the details it's likely/unlikely another power adapter would be worthwhile buying?

Thanks for your consideration.

tldr: monitor stopped working suddenly, replaced the power adapter and now it works but intermittently goes blank for few seconds at random times.

2. miicah

miicah Member

I had a similar issue with a BenQ monitor, except it wouldn't power back on. You had to power cycle and then it would work for another 15mins and it would happen again.

I pulled it apart to check for blown caps etc but couldn't find anything. Gave up on it eventually.

Yehat likes this.
  3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Try turning down the Frequency of the Monitor. Dont run it at the 120Hz. I had an issue with my Benq 144Hz monitor that has disappeared since I set it to 120Hz.

Yehat likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Yehat

Yehat Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately i tried (in amongst the wall of text) dropping the frequency from 120hz to 100hz and 60hz with same results.

5. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Ah well thought that might have helped. Good luck in your search. From memory that was a pretty nice monitor for its time.

Yehat likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Yehat

Yehat Member

yeah definitely no complaints it's been a solid gaming monitor.

Posting incase someone else has the exact same problem down the track and in frustration stumbles on this thread:

I gradually increased the brightness one at a time, very slowly it got to 74 and then the monitor behaves like a slow strobe light. Picture -> few seconds -> Blank screen -> repeat. Waiting or powering off doesn't fix it at this point, next time it gets a signal it just goes in to a loop. So it got me thinking if upping the brightness greatly reduces the stability, does decreasing it help it ? Been running at the "standard" preset brightness setting (lower than default) and been up for about 2hrs which is by *far* the longest it's been stable (touch wood). Certainly not a solution (as there's still something going wrong internally), but atleast it's a temporary workaround for now.

Edit 14/11 its been a week now and above workaround seems to be holding up ok. Updated thread prefix to Solved.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 11:33 AM
  7. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

This sounds so similar to the issue I had with a brand new Benq monitor I bought for my relative except when the monitor will went blank very randomly and you will have to restart the machine in order to it working again, I eventually tried a different motherboard BIOS and the issue was gone.