Monitors and TV's. Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by foxmulder881, Dec 27, 2010.

1. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I see that Officeworks is advertising the latest panel (not sure what brand) as a Monitor/TV. Years ago, they were two different items. But it seems to be with basically all new TV's coming out with pc connectivity they can in effect be used as a monitor display.

Have we passed the point of difference between the two?

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

no.

a tv has a tv tuner.

they also usually have better viewing angles.

3. v8tfcorty

v8tfcorty Member

4. HeXa

HeXa Member

iirc, my old NEC 42" plasma counted as a monitor for tax purposes as it had no inbuilt tuner

I never tested the ATO on this :p

5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

TV's are usually low-res for the size involved.

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

thats a tv, it has a tv tuner. due to the variey of inputs though, it can also 'monitor' output from other devices.
    so a 22" 1080p TV is low res?

7. stocky

stocky Member

Keyword: usually.

A 52" at 1080 would be low res for the size.

8. v8tfcorty

v8tfcorty Member

Weird hey, it can "monitor" things but its not a monitor as it has a tv tuner, If put a TV card in my PC is it no longer a PC ?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

a PC designation depends on the software it runs. if you runs erver apps, its a server, even if its made with off the shelf cheap poarts.

a HTPC could be a 30 grand appl emac pro because it runs media aps.

designation is down to usage. a monitor monitors :)

10. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

the diff between a monitor and a tv used to be "dot pitch"

basically the size and distance between pixels of the same colour, ie: all the blues..

thats why monitors were so much more expensive, because you sit so much closer you need smaller pixels, when u sit far away from a large screen, the pixels can be larger and further apart, as your brain fills in the gaps, but if you get up close to an old tv, u can see each pixel clearly..

as monitor tech changes and manufacture costs come down the diff between the 2 (tv/monitor) is narrowing...

11. v8tfcorty

v8tfcorty Member

So you agree then that it is a monitor/TV, good to see we got that cleared up.

[​IMG]

12. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

the word "monitor" is technically incorrect, it's describing what you do with a "display" regardless of if it is a 17"crt, 60"plasma or a projector.
    so don't get too hung up on the terms.
    like car and transport, a car transports you, would you call it a transport or a car?
    a display allows you to monitor a pc.
    the pc doesnt need the monitor to work, its just for our lame low tech brains to see what its doing.
    pcs would be much more efficent if we all had rj-45s on the end of our fingers and could just plug in :lol:

a display with a built in tuner AND pc-compatible inputs is obviously both a monitor and a tv.
    the line between the 2 blurred when big screen lcds and plasmas became affordable.

the term used in the ad "tv monitor" usually describes exactly that, "a display with a built in tv tuner and at least a vga, or more likely multiple dvi or hdmi inputs.

23" with a tuner aint bad, and LG are decent quality, but i wouldn't buy it, can get much better elsewhere, a quick google shows it to be a discontinued model, thats why its on sale
    officeworks are good for cheap printers at 9pm on a tuesday night, not much else

13. flagger

flagger Member

Suggests it's a TN panel, and you can get 23" TN panel computer monitors (ie. without the inbuilt tuner) for quite a bit less. Unless you really need a remote control and a in built tuner, best off either getting a IPS/PVA panel or spending less or getting a cheapo TN panel.

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

dont forget intergrated speakers so when you shove hdmi thought it theres no messing with extra wires.

15. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

All very interesting comments. So we established that they are still two different products, as they always were. It's simply Officeworks adding a bit of marketing touch to it.

16. v8tfcorty

v8tfcorty Member

Nothing to do with Officeworks, LG themselves market it as a multimedia monitor/tv.

17. flagger

flagger Member

That's true. Though inbuilt monitor speakers tend to really suck, but it would be good for a kid who has a 360/ps3 and wants a all in 1 monitor for his/her bedroom

18. SONofSAM

SONofSAM Member

l have 2 Tv's,a Sony HD 32'',Pana 50'' & Dell 24'' monitor and even though the Sony says Bravia engine 3 or something,l wouldn't say it looked any better than the Dell.l have them all hooked up to MyStar HD.

19. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

define suck. the speakers in my samsung sound as good as a set of $50 logitechs. sure there isnt as much bass but the rest of the tonal range is quite flat and natural. my room is quite large, and even at lans there is more than enough volume to overpower all the cs kiddies screaming away.

if you have your tv agasint a wall it sounds even better due to downfiring speakers reflecting :)

20. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Overscan and Underscan could be a problem

Greetings

A dedicated TV is optimised for displaying TV pictures from all different types of sources, DVB, analog, CVBS, VCR and whatever. One of the problems with this is overscan (underscan exists also) whereby the picture is stretched slightly so that there are no black bars (gaps between where the signal ends and the edge of your display) and consequently dots may not line up exactly with pixels and while this isn't a problem for pictures it looks crap when displaying text.

I looked into this aspect about a year or two ago as I wanted a 32"-40" TV on the wall to be a computer monitor, to turn overscan and underscan off from a PC derived signal going to the TV you needed to enable whats known as Direct Pixel Mapping mode and at the time (as far as I was aware) only Z series Bravias had it available, new Samsung TV's coming out at the time apparently also had it.

I presume most of the new TV's coming out now probably do support it whether or not there is a specific setting available in the TV menu, but if they don't support it at all you could have problems for the reasons stated above with no way of fixing it. I suggest you check with the manufacturer before you purchase it.

Cheers