1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[WORKLOG] mono. [FIRST OCAU 900D BUILD LOG]

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by aeries, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Nchalada

Nchalada Member

Great! My wife'll kill me! :o Spose it would eat into the bank, huh :(

2. aeon.

aeon. Member

It'll dig deep into ur financials if you do it right ;) cant hear anyone complaining that the xspc kits or the corsair aios are too expensive :Pirate:

Loving it so far, subbed :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Agreed, and thanks :)

Finished the majority of the exams...one more to go :)

Got a surprise for you guys...
    It seems like I'll be modding my case :J

4. esaitchkay

esaitchkay Member

build is looking great mate. keen for what's to come with the case modding - even keener to see it in person soon. :lol: subb'ed

5. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

thanks mate :D

quick question: Will Bunnings have acrylic?
    Checked their website but they don't seem to sell acrylic or perspex sheets

6. Craigl04

Craigl04 Member

^^^that.

if you dont spend more than 800 ish on watercooling parts alone, it will end up being a ghetto build, it's sad but it's the truth lol. After you drop nearly 1k on parts for cooling, then you see another persons build and get some more ideas, and so on and so forth. I think i spent 300 on bitspower fittings alone, not to mention rads, pump, waterblocks, tubes, fans. it adds up fast.

Just do it, its worth it :p

7. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Nope, you will need to source it from an Acrylic supplier.

I use http://www.acrylicsonline.com.au/

8. shiney2512

shiney2512 Member

TKR have the primochill rigid acrylic, should be in stock within the next week - in a great range of colour aswell.

http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/primochill-rigid-acrylic-tubing-clear-4-pack/

The only thing you have to use their fittings (I read somewhere the bitspower fittings won't fit)

PrimoChill Rigid Ghost Compression 3/8 x 1/2 Fitting

http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/primochill-rigid-ghost-compression-38-x-12-fitting-knurled-grip-anodized-black-4-pk/

.. I just read your previous post, your after a sheet of acrylic..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  9. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

well said :thumbup:

although I don't quite agree with the cost issue...I consider anything under 2k to be ghetto :p i've dropped $1k on bp fittings over the year(s)...

i did find sheet acrylic at bunnings 900mm x 600mm x 3mm for $49 :confused: ripofffffffffffff :tongue:

yep :)

i'll go into further detail hopefully today :)
    school holidays ftw :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

crippled with a 39 degree fever but that's alright :sick::tired:

it's been wayyyyyyy too long since i've last updated this thread :tongue:
    schoolwork and illness does take its toll :thumbdn:

anyway, this update's gonna be a long one, even though I'm dormant here doesn't mean I'm dormant irl :thumbup: did quite a bit of shit so here I come :D

without further ado, let us begin ^_^

UPDATE #8: MODDING WOES/FINAL PREPARATIONS. WEDNESDAY 3/7/2013.

Some time ago, mad_mic3 decided to come over to critique mono. :)

He came over and we had a discussion about some possible modding on the case...I was pretty keen on the idea, and modding cases do sound like fun :D

So I went to Bunnings, bought a sheet of 900mm x 600mm x 3mm white acrylic and started measuring stuff.

Why did I want to start modding the 900D?

Well, first things first, theres some bits about the 900D that I don't like. For example, after removing the HDD cages there's a massive gap that's exposed...

[​IMG]

As you can see there, the cables and cable ties are showing and that just hurts my eyes because I'm really anal about precision and details on my rig :lol:

That's why I decided to make 3 panels:

One to mount the SSD's (these two bad boys need a home)

[​IMG]

One to mound the HDD and cover up the gaping hole that's ugly as well
    One as a midplate to separate the top from the bottom compartments

So one night I went off with my dad, bought a jigsaw and started cutting...

It was harder than it looked, and by 10pm we were not only pissing off the neigbours with the high pitched noises but we were also pissed by the fragility and the brittleness of the acrylic, which had a tendency to snap under huge pressure...All these scrap cutlets

[​IMG]

Anyway, here's our "den"

[​IMG]

In the end, we did cut out the three panels, they just needed a file or a sand down and they were good to go..Sorry I didn't take pix of them

However drilling holes into them was a nightmare as I needed 4 20mm holes and some normal holes to secure the acrylic onto the case...The tendency for the acrylic to snap and crack was a real bummer, and in the end me and me old man just gave up...We used up all the acrylic as well, so yea :/

So my modding plans, if not out the window, are temporarily taking a massive detour.

This is one of the last batches of shipments that I'll get before starting to build my rig:

[​IMG]

I particularly like this piece:

[​IMG]

Haven't opened the pack yet but it looks promising :D

[​IMG]

Also ordered some stuff off TKR, the Aquaero Waterblock and some more Mayhems :) 6 bottles now, for 6 litres of jizz-filled happiness :D

[​IMG]

Corsair was also nice enough to replace the parts that were broken off during transit for my 900D.

[​IMG]

Shipped direct from HK, Corsair don't mess about :)

[​IMG]

What does the smaller box contain?

A new I/O front panel :D

[​IMG]

And here we have the front panel cover, with the 4 tabs finally on securely for proper mounting on my front panel:

[​IMG]

Now when I move the case, I don't hear some creaky hinge noises :lol:
    And I don't have to resort to using blu-tack either ;) There she is :)

[​IMG]

Throughout my "dormancy" I did have a few hours to play around with the water pathway for my first loop :) I have some sketches but this is what it looks like IRL:

[​IMG]

As you can see, my AX1200i is slumbering and so are my 780's :p

[​IMG]

I find that this water path is pretty eye-catching and no-nonsense, it's all slanted top right to bottom left and I think it just looks very neat :) As well as that the tubing to the top rad is tucked away somewhat inconspicuously... how many of you guys noticed it? ;)

Now I got a quick question:

How should I rout my PCI-E cables to the GPU's?

Two possible ways:

1. Horizontally - what most people do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vertically - looks neater and shorter cable length:

[​IMG]

Just vertically means my bottom grommet is filled with 4x pci-e cables, i/o cables, 2x usb cables, usb3 cable...overload :o

The bottom of my case atm l0l it's being used as a storage area :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Since I'm running two loops, I need all the space that I can get to mount both my reservoirs.

My first Aqualis will be mounted like this:

[​IMG]

And the water pathway will be mostly hidden from view :)

[​IMG]

The T and L blocks are so handy :thumbup:

I also had some fun undressing the Aquaero:

[​IMG]

It;s nekked ;)

[​IMG]

All three layers of the Aquaero :)
    Now here's the aforementioned waterblock from TKR:

[​IMG]

And here's the Aquaero with the waterblock mounted on it:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how to mount it...Should I mount it normally like any drive with the touchscreen facing out? Because I don't want to ruin the clean look of the 900D exterior panel..

I was thinking about doing this:

[​IMG]

But then the cables and water pathway are kinda harder to access.. so stuck on that :(

One Saturday I got bored so I started sleeving my USB cables:

[​IMG]

They did turn out nicely but my heatshrink is too big :o after shrinking it to about 15mm it started smouldering, so the sleeving isn't the cleanest.. But since I'm taking off the front panel I/O to replace it with the new one that Corsair sent me, I don't really mind :) Practise I guess :rolleyes:

Where to place my SSD's? :confused:

Here?

[​IMG]

Or here?

[​IMG]

Quick shot of the cable management that I've been doing over the holidays:

[​IMG]

And the front panel, what lurks beneath the aluminium fascia:

[​IMG]

Getting rid of the fan filter grants access to a magnificent place to maintain your watercooling...It's also a nice place to put a drain valve. Or two. :)

[​IMG]

Anyway, to end this I'd like to thank you guys thus far for not giving up on this thread...I reached 10k views not very long ago, it's nice to see that even though I'm not posting people do still read this thread...It gives me great encouragement to see that my work, although amateurish, is kinda admired by some :Pirate: Or hated, idk.. :Paranoid:

Not sure when the next update will be, not gonna promise any dates but I will assure you that it'll be a MASSIVE update :eek::)

Big thanks to mad_mic3 for giving me ideas and stuff, but the mods will be on hold as they're currently too difficult for me as I do not have the resources nor the time to devote to completely modding my case... Do however note that next year I will definitely finish this project off. :D PROPERLY :)

And finally, a massive thanks to my mum for giving me the best early birthday present ever :D

[​IMG]

P.S. This corner used to be empty :(

[​IMG]

Anyway, have a good one fellas and don't go away!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  11. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Wow what a post, well done on all the work. It looks great. Love the white tubing against the black, it contrasts very nicely.

I like how you ran the tubing down the back. I was (still am) considering this option, to come back to the res.

The case is huge, but not a lot of room once you start placing rads, res's etc. and I only have 1 set, not 2 :shock:

With the acrylic. i purchased very fine teeth blades for the jigsaw and drill bits used specifically for plastic, they have a completely different tip on the bit!!, No chipping or breaking. I CBF making anything like that at the moment, will wait till ColdZero makes one :)

I am still waiting on a few more fittings from PCCG. Also expecting the new flow meter from Koolance (19) and a set 2 sets of BP crystal links which were going to be from res, to pump and pump to lower rad, just not finding anything lining up where needed.

I hope you feel better soon. Nothing worse than being sick, except being sick on holidays.

Cheers

Rob

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  12. SyKRyD

SyKRyD Member

Here's your chance to get the first COMPLETED OCAU 900D build :)

dude...

13. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Finally, someone who shares my taste in keyboard colour schemes :D

14. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

Thanks mate :D yea the fever's starting to wear off sp all good
    Can't be bothered waiting for ColdZero so yea :p although since its on hold I might just grab one off him :p
    The shit's tight fitting, it looks all big but when you kit it up you could only wish for more space :/

oi :tongue::lol:

Are you kidding me?

PINK AND WHITE IS THE BOMB :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

15. Theodorou

Theodorou Member

hahaha, jokes of course. awesome update, listen to the guy up top get some plastic drill bits and jig saw blades its worth it :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

HAH! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :p

ill see to the plastic drill bits :)

thanks a bunch :D

Still waiting for god damned AC and FrozenCPU stuff

17. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

hey guys :)

this isn't really related to my build log but it would be appreciated if any of you, especially if you're local to me, could lend me or sell me some mid-end stuff that i need for a lan at my place coming up :)

i'm a computer short and my mate said that he'd be willing to bring ram, hdd, gpu but i need the rest of the stuff...

Here's the link and in my siggy:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=15448485#post15448485

Sell/loan me your stuff :D

/threadcrap

18. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Looking forward to seeing this finished, inVa - Keep up the good work :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    aeries

aeries Member

thanks mate :)

i reckon ill have a play with it today, since its my birthday. :D

and my fillports have arrived :D

20. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR inVaRed!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!