Monthly Data Quota

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Statitica, May 18, 2017.

1. Statitica

Statitica Member

There is a possibility, in the near-ish future, of getting a shared internet connection to my place of work/residence. The connection would be split between up to six different houses/offices, each paying a portion of the bill each month.

As it stands, we have two options: pay for speed, or pay for data. The speed option gets very expensive very quickly (approx $4000AUD/month for 8MB/s), so we are likely to go with the data limit option.

Is there a package available for Ubuntu to handle user quotas? i.e. If I pay for 10GB per month, but my neighbour pays for 15GB, can that amount be allocated on a per month basis, at the server level, to prevent us from inadvertently using each other's data?

2. Primüs

Primüs Member

a proper built distro like pfSense could do this or more closed source solutions like Mikrotik routers.

Where do you live for data/internet to be costing that much? I'd be shopping around as $4k / month for anywhere in Australia should be easily beatable.

3. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

What about a gargoyle router?

4. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

Papua New Guinea.

I really miss my 200GB for 60 bucks a month...

I'll have a look at pfSense; cheers.

5. Primüs

Primüs Member

Oh true, I spoke to you in another thread, your further north aren't you? Internet shouldn't be that much if you are in POM, Lae or Madang, but then they are fairly major hubs.

6. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

Yeah, that's me.

I'm "only" 11 miles out of Lae, and Telikom have recommended I go with a fixed microwave link, but the prices become quite high, quite quickly, when looking at unlimited data but limited speed.

Even in town, telikom's prices seem ridiculous compared to what I am used to.

On the flip side, I share real estate with a group who were paying $10,000US/month for a VSAT conection, and they were getting dial-up speeds.

7. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Authenticated squid proxy with sarg for reporting?

8. rem00

rem00 Member

I'd recommend the pfSense option. A new SBC just came out called the espresso bin that might work for your application as it has 3x onboard NICs and should be compatible with pfSense.

Additionally a DMZ/Guest network with a harsh speed cap for all wireless devices might help to curb the data use?