More aircraft shots

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Sir.Eos, May 20, 2013.

1. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Haven't been sharing much but shooting more and more aircraft so here is some from this afternoon, nothing too exciting. All taken at the Tapley's Hill Rd aircraft viewing area at YPAD/Adelaide International Aiport

#1 - Pilatus PC-12 VH-FVF of the RFDS rotates on 05
    [​IMG]

#2 -Virgin Australia E190 VH-ZPA lands on 05
    [​IMG]

#3 - Cessna 182 SkyLane VH-BOM of Forsyth Aviation begins it's take off roll on 05
    [​IMG]

#4 - Virgin Australia 737-800 VH-YFJ lands on 05
    [​IMG]

#5 - Virgin Australia 737-800 VH-YFJ lands on 05
    [​IMG]

#6 - Pilatus PC-12 VH-FVB of the RFDS commences it's take off roll on 05
    [​IMG]

#7 - Pilatus PC-12 VH-FVB of the RFDS rotates on 05
    [​IMG]

#8 - Alliance Airlines Fokker F50 VH-FKW lands on 05
    [​IMG]

#9 - Cessna Citation V 560 - VH-VRL lands on 05
    [​IMG]

#10 - QANTAS 737-800 VH-VZY lands on 05
    [​IMG]

#11 - Jetstar A320 VH-VFL lands on 05
    [​IMG]

#12 - Cobham VH-NJH turning from the end of Foxtrot to take off from 05
    [​IMG]

#13 - Cobham VH-NJH commencing take off on 05
    [​IMG]

#14 - QANTAS 737-800 VH-VZT lands on 05
    [​IMG]

Feedback, comments, questions and crit all welcome.

2. a1ring23

a1ring23 Member

Nice shots.

What sort of settings/modes/focal lengths are you using for these shots?

3. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Thanks!

All shot with a 5D Mark III + Sigma 150-500mm f/5.6-6.3

I have left the EXIF intact so you can investigate on particular shots if you like but general settings were: Manual mode, ISO 200/400, Shutter 320 - 1600 depending on jet or prop as I like to get the prop blur!, aperture 8-11 varying for shutter changes between ACFT

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Diggin the 2nd + Last there Phil :)

5. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Yeah, i think 3rd last is best.

Oddly, i was passing through Adelaide airport Wednesday last week. A huge, all grey jet took off, single massive turbines under each wing. Not sure if it was military or simply cargo carrier. Had port hole windows the full length of the plane, but looked "high", it maybe standing height not seating window height. Wish i'd taken a photo of it, just to ID what/whose it was.

6. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Was probably a C-17 Globemaster III.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-17_Globemaster

7. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Cheers Jack! You should go to the airport YSSY is great for different movements.

Thanks, yeah those Avro's look pretty cool!

That was the RAAF KC30-A (military multi use version of the Airbus A330), rego A39-004 which is a multi use aircraft. designed as a tanker but can also be used for transport and a few other roles. I know it came in, not sure what it was here for, I know they've been doing touch and go's for pilot training but did stop and taxi to a bay this time.

8. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

yeahhhh, unsure guys. C-17 looks like the plane i saw, C-17 has twin turbines each side whereas i was fairly sure the aircraft i seen only had 1 each side.

KC-30A looks longer, thiner than what i saw. Your description matches what i would have guessed it was though.

Anyway, didnt mean to hijack the thread. Just funny you posted some aircraft pics from Adelaide, and i passed through for probably the only time this year last week and saw a plane that stood out.

Final note: From your last thread i really liked the panoramic style, grey or B&W plane banking away in the sky. This time around, i like #12 - Cobham VH-NJH turning from the end of Foxtrot to take off from 05, which is the same sort of formula.

9. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Yeah well I'd definitely guess it was the KC-30A, we had one in on wednesday, don't regularly get military movements at Adelaide, last C-17 to Adelaide International in memory was in 2010, also I checked the Plane Spotters forum and facebook page and that looks like the only noteworthy movement for Adelaide on the day.

I don't consider it thread hijacking, if we're not allowed to have a discussion about the subject matter (planes at adelaide) then what is the point of posting anything?

Thanks, yeah I quite like that but clear side view shots are more popular with the spotting community. I personally enjoy a bit more of the artsy stuff like that, I try and get a bit of both when I go out. If you're interested what I said there is turning from Taxiway F onto the runway to takeoff, just a bit of aircraft jargon to keep you entertained.

10. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

11. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Yep, thats it. Single engine either side. High windows. Wing tips up at the end. Grey, and what i didnt say was the almost faded markings.

Great work. Amazing that people from around the country can ID a plane at Adelaide airport on a specific day. And they say bird photographers are crazy.

12. pop4

pop4 Member

Approaching the end of the financial year, RAAF military flying activities always seem to ramp up; guess they've got to use up the money otherwise more won't flow in.

Photos aren't bad, though personally for aircraft shots, I prefer "cleaner" backgrounds, as opposed to the hills that you have, but I guess you don't really have too much of a choice in that regard.

13. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Yeah, plane spotters are pretty crazy, we not only know the type of plane but the registration of that particular aircraft!

Yeah, make it look like they're doing something! This particular type is just making IOC so they are still doing familiarisation etc.

Thanks, it is a bit tough as I like shots with the ground in them like these which means background unless you're in Sydney and can shoot over the water.

14. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Nice shots.
    I especially liked #12, it made me move to the left to try and look directly from behind the aircraft even before I realised what I was doing.

15. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

16. Unframed

Unframed Member

Great shots! I'd love to try some of this type of stuff out at the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society that my father in law works at.

17. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Yeah, he was talking about a military movement that happened earlier in the week, was a KC30.

You're correct though the Cobham jet pictured is the BAe146 although the one in question i believe was actually manufactured by Avro as The RJ100.

Thanks! You should go give it a shoot HARS have some the best/most interesting aircraft in Australia. Even a bad shot there will be better than 99% of aviation photos.

18. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Hehe, us train spotters are equally crazy! We can tell what locomotive type (and often which particular locomotive) is on a train just by hearing its horn!

Nice photos! The relatively new viewing area at Perth Airport is great for those type of photos. I've only been there a few times.

19. dufflover

dufflover Member

The next step

Good shots and nice lighting on the planes. I do some occasional spotting (mostly RAAF stuff) while at work and sometimes the lighting is horrible, lots of backlighting, and highlights on the reflective ACFT surfaces.

How's your panning? I think that'd be the next step to your shots. It should also blur off of the chain-link fence pattern that's in the bottom of a lot of your shots. Not a huge distraction but I think in a side-by-side it'll be nice to remove that cross-hatching as part of the shot.

Pretty sure that Sigma has the Mode 1 OS/IS switch on it to assist, right?

This is the closest I have to showing the difference though somewhat apples-and-oranges being different everything (date/lighting/etc):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/duffohyeah/8687832054/in/set-72157632140884333/
    hmmm, this post/thread has inspired me to put the KC-30 back on the watch list and try panning that one (up till now also only done the "static" fast shutter speed shot)

20. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Spotters are all crazy! Our constant desire for regos etc is puzzling to most. Yeah, I'm pretty jealous of Perth, I think in terms of variety of movements you guys have one of the best airports in Australia!

Thanks, yeah lighting can be quite variable at airports, this was actually close to the middle of the day so quite lucky with the light I had really! If you can I'd love to see some of your stuff, RAAF movements are always interesting and hard to get really from an outsiders perspective. I've stalked your flickr a bit, some great stuff there, are you with the RAAF?

Panning is okay, I did a bit but the location I was for these shots wasn't too great for panning, but I'll definitely push the shutter a bit further next time, there was a bit on the shots like of VRL (the bizjet) but that was only 1/320 so nothing huge.