More cisco goodness released today

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by fR33z3, Oct 21, 2009.

1. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

This is my summary of it - parts paraphrased, directly quoted, or otherwise.

The Hardware:-

-Cisco 3900 Series Integrated Services Router: The flagship
    -Cisco 2900 Series Integrated Services Router: The midrange
    -Cisco 1900 Series Integrated Services Router: The compact-modular
    -ASR 1002-F Router: fixed-configuration version of the ASR 1000 Series.

The Software
    -Cisco IOS Release 15: The ISR G2 portfolio ships with Cisco IOS Release 15.0(1)M, a new software version delivering enhanced security, voice, manageability and IP services for a more consistent user experience and improved operational efficiency. A single universal image with license-based activation

New technologies and focuses:-
    -Business video support
    -Service virtualization with an "on-demand" service delivery
    -Services_Ready Engine
    -Energywise
    -Borderless Networks architecture
    -Building medianet technologies: The ISR G2 series is medianet-ready
    -Related customer training: To help customers capitalize on the ISR's new medianet video-enablement capabilities

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2009/prod_102009.html

Thoughts? I'm still yet to see the really branch office market killer. I was hoping the next ISR would be a blur between the current ISRs and the WAAS appliances. I'm not sure this delivers.

2. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

just checked the 2800 EOS notices, nothing on the site yet, I'm sure it and the EOL announcement will be coming soon.

shame the 1941 looks so ugly and big, the 1841 was clearly a winner in my eyes.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Some nice stuff, I love the full services data rates that Cisco now quote...

Love the getting-with-the-time gigabit ports now. EHWICs mean the 1800/2800/3800 series won't work with newer modules, eg, 802.11n wireless.. fortunately the revised 3G HSPA HWIC card is still an HWIC card.

Guess my 2851 is old trash now! Time to sell it and upgrade perhaps!

Also interesting that the new PVDM3s are pitched for video. I'm expecting a new range of video products from the Cisco UC business unit very soon.

4. OP
    OP
    fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

hmm...didn't they just review the CCIE R+S to base it on ISR's? Hope they don't review that again in the next 12 months. I'll be pissed if I have to splash out for ISR G2's unless they price them exactly the same as the current ISR's.

5. c3po

c3po Member

I guess it was inevitable. Cisco finding another way to screw you for more money.