More fun w/P3V4X and 3D Annihalator

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by tculp, Jul 22, 2001.

1. tculp

tculp Member

I read a lot of messages concerning combinations similar to this, and I have updated the video driver to the NVidia v12.41, and the VIA 4-in-1 driver to v4.32, and I also installed the AGP 4x registry patch. All is well, almost.......

I tried running 3DMark 2000, and bad-evil things happened. The first demo only ran for about 15 seconds and then locked. I tried re-booting, and even re-installing 3DMark. Same results every time.....

So then I decided to try and find some sort of diagnostic tool and I ran across the AGP Check program that someone had a link to.
    When I run AGP Check, it says its running @ 4x, but it also says that AGP sideband is not enabled. I can't find anything even close to being called AGP sideband in the configuration options for the NVidia driver.

First off, could this be causing the problem? and if not, is there a signifigant enough performance gain from enaibling this feature?
    Where do I go from here????

2. Ripper

Ripper Member

Sideband is disabled by default in the vidcard's BIOS. It can be enabled using several utilities (NVMax, RivaTuner, etc.). The beneifit of enabling SBA is, well, virtually none. It typically adds to instability when the AGP bus is overclocked.

Make sure you have Fastwrites disabled in the motherboard BIOS, as having it enabled can lead to instability and symptoms similar to what you describe.

Good Luck !!

3. OP
    OP
    tculp

tculp Member

*!@#%^ Video card

Forget the sideband, I just want my 3D to WORK!

I checked the fastwrite it is off. I went so far as to load BIOS defaults and boot w/factory settings to see if it would run the 3DMark test.

Same results. Stops just after the test loads and begins to run.

The only thing I have not done is flashed the BIOS to the v1006 beta. I do have the v1005 release installed though.

Help!!! I am about ready to use my video card as a clay pidgeon.

:confused:

4. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Not everyone can run agp4x try setting it at 2x in bios and see if that helps you.

There is little advantage to agp4x over 2x at present
    Tony

5. OP
    OP
    tculp

tculp Member

4x - 2x

Changed back to 2x AGP, test ran, scored 3711.

It cheeses me off that 4x doesn't work. I bought the vid-card 'cause I knew that the mobo supported 4x.

Waste of $ I guess.

Got the 3D crap working tho, guess thats better than no 3D at all.

Any tweaks that I can take advantage of to get anything more out of this combo?

500MHz PIII
    256Mb RAM
    you know the vid card & mobo.....

Thanx!

6. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

It is strange but thats the way things work out. I have a Leadtek GF2 mx and agp 4x with fast writes runs stable.

It is of minimal advantage I only got +50 on my 3dmark 2000 scores and I can get that by upping the video card memory easily.

Unless you really need agp4x I would say accept it.

Two things you can try but there is no gaurantee of success is up the VIO jumper to pins 2/3 this sets the vio voltage to 3.6v. Gives a little more voltage to the agp and ram slots. Also try conservative ram settings ie 3,3,3,5 or so and run the video card fan off the motherboard. All assist stability but in reality I feel u may be out of luck.

Good luck Tony

PS at least u havent got a cold boot issue.

7. Ripper

Ripper Member

Sorry -- failed to see that you were attempting AGP 4X. The P3V4X is notorious for instability at AGP 4X. AGP voltage has been stated as the reason and the fact that the P3V4X's 3.3v regulator cannot provide sufficent current to the AGP port ( wish I could search the old forum top verify Frogmaster's reasoning -- hint, hint ;) ). Someone may be able to post up a link to Frogmaster mod which resolves booting and possibly 4X stability issues.

Also -- Slop's BETA4W program has switches permitting the adjustment of the AGP drive strength, even though Asus thought it best to leave that out of the BIOS. Some, including myself, have had success with this program, although there are many factors, such as O/S, version, drivers and the planet's aligning, etc., which can contribute to success. I have not been able to achieve 4X under Win2K. Although I did under Win ME.

If it's any consolation, it only amounted to 50-100 3DMarks under 3Dark2000. :)

8. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

well frogmasters mod only resolves the cold boot issue and is caused by a voltage switching regulator thinking the starting current of the GF2 to be a spike thus cutting voltage to the slot.

writeup and how to in analysis area of
    http://www.btinternet.com/~p3v4x/

click on vr-mod link. (its the 1st link)
    Tony

9. OP
    OP
    tculp

tculp Member

mobo mod

I already had the info about the Frogmaster mod. I just haven't had the time to pull everything apart & do it (still trying to convince myself to come that close to the motherboard w/a soldering iron......)

I am a little disallusioned by the scores I have seen at the Mad Onion site for systems similar to mine. Some of them were in the 7,000 to 8,000 range.

I have no idea what these guys have done to achieve these kinds of numbers....

10. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Those scores for 3dmark2000 or 2001. 7000 is what we used to get with a gf2 overclocked and 3dmark2000.
    tony
    I think the 2001 gives lower scores. Oh and I would not do froggy's mod unless you are having cold boot issues.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2001
  11. OP
    OP
    tculp

tculp Member

cold boot

Yeah, I have the cold boot issue. It's been afu for so long, I didn't really correlate the new vid card and the failed boot attempts. I have to hit the re-set every time. If I don't have to, something is wrong.....

I have 3DMark2000 on my system. I can't say for sure that the results I was comparing to were using 2000 or 2001. All I know is that my scores have been consistantly lower than the majority of similar systems on the Mad Onion site.

I have not done alot of tweaking to the config or the clock speed of the vid-card, nor have I tried overclocking the processor. I guess that's what it takes to produce the rediculous numbers....

I really don't have a prob w/doing the fix to the mobo, I was an aircraft electrician w/the USAF for a while.....I was going for a chuckle when I made the statement about getting too close to mobo w/a soldering iron. I just have to make time to do it....

Any further suggestions, anyone?