More MS FUD

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by -=N0N@ME420=-, May 15, 2009.

1. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

so if i was linux users from the get go. how is this windows thing saving me from the unfamiliar environment? </shit stir>

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm curious who designed/built/paid for that.

The domain name is registered by this guy, who incidentally runs his own website off FreeBSD.

The domain was registered in Washington (the state, as in where Redmond and Microsoft HQ are), and from what I can tell it's hosted in the same state too (by these guys, on their Redmond WA network segment). Not that any of that gives any hints who put it together, of course.

[edit] The flash video is hosted in Seoul, South Korea. That makes sense, given the content and scenery. [/edit]

If it's serious in any way shape or form, it's a pretty desperate and obvious attempt, given that it's blatantly attacking the EeePC that comes pre-bundled with Linux (and is the device that arguably started this whole Netbook+Linux fad).

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

It's things like this that make me want to move away from Windows.

I think this is a good thing. Microsoft is clearly feeling pretty threatened, if they've taken to advertising this (especially with only two pretty dodgy reasons). I guess all those Linux-based netbooks are starting to hurt.

I find it particularly amusing that they seem to be specifically advocating Windows XP for netbooks (since that's what is shown in the pictures), even though they'd actually much prefer that people bough Vista.

5. elvis

We all know why they don't push Vista on netbooks. Heck, even Windows7 had to resort to limiting 3 running apps at once for their netbook version in order to keep performance up.

(On a side discussion, I still don't know why Microsoft don't hire the XPLite/nLite guys full time - they seem to do more with Windows as a hacked, black-box system than MSFT developers can do at code level!).

6. stmok

stmok Member

Well duh! Of course its better with Windows!

(1) Compatibility with malware.

I hear Conflicker is THE killer application to have for 2009!
    => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflicker

Its too bad I run Linux. I wanted to be part of the Chinese-based Gh0stRAT spy net as well. :( RAT doesn't work with my Linux PCs. I feel I'm missing on something really important! :upset:

(2) Users benefit.

Clearly, Windows users get the better end of the stick!

I wish I could...

* Pay for software to protect another!
    (I want anti-malware apps!)

* Have Administrator by default!
    (I want to live on the edge too!)

* Click without a thought!
    (I am so hampered when I gotta think and pay attention!)

* Social engineering!
    (I try so hard to send money to Nigeria, get cheap University degrees, log-in to my bank to verify my details, and most of all, I want to satisfy her immensely!...But common sense seems to get in the way! Its a serious condition!)

...Man! I am missing out on all these extra features I don't get with Linux!

(3) Superior default settings.

Apple and Linux sucks! Why wouldn't you have Administrator or Root account by default?! Notice those XP based systems? Autorun on BY DEFAULT. You gotta play your part in helping malware propagate!

I mean, how the hell are you supposed to support the billion dollar computer security industry in such tough economic times, if you don't do your part?! Think of Symantec, Kaspersky, TrendMicro, Eset, etc! They need your help! Leave Autorun on!

No wonder why Linux has such a tiny market share on the consumer desktop?! We're doing it all wrong!

7. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I don't get this one... This has nothing to do with Windows, OSX, or Linux... Phishing methods are valid against all OS's...

8. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

What an interesting ad. A few things:

1. Not once do they actually point out what these so-called familiarity or compatibility issues are. They only show things which can be done on any platform let alone Linux or Windows.
    2. Where can I get an EeePC that has such a super-high contrast ratio as depicted? Oh of course, you can't - it's video overlay for the ad.
    3. I love how they depict Windows logging in instantly. Obviously it was already logged in and was just user-switched.
    4. I also love how the kid brings his EeePC to Dad and upon hitting the power switch Windows is instantly there! Obviously Windows has replaced BIOS' now.
    5. They have little text tidbits during the ad saying "solid state design" and so forth which directly promote the EeePC itself, not Windows. Who is the ad for again?
    6. And I LOVE the part where they show the kid's EeePC using a web-based app and then when it goes "full-screen" for us, the viewer, to see, all of a sudden the resolution of the desktop has markedly increased two-fold!
    7. Notice how the import of photos isn't shown directly on an EeePC screen - it's a zoomed in depiction of Windows that looks awfully fast-forwarded. Windows XP with a truckload of tweaking is never that quick on a 701.

Given that the 701 is at end-of-life, I'm somewhat surprised that they would bring such an advertisement that appears to target that specific model out so late. Are they concerned that out of every EeePC netbook ever sold that the largest audience own only 701's?

9. username_taken

username_taken Member

Don't worry buddy, you can run RAT under WINE.

10. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

The website looks way too backyard/spare time web dev to be Microsoft. It doesn't even have any Silverlight.

I think this is just someone's idea of a joke?

11. elvis

I'd hope Microsoft (or any company's) marketing department are intelligent enough to realise that if they make a website advertising Windows to Linux users, filling it with Silverlight will ensure you've missed your target audience.

There's great irony in such a website needing to use W3C-standards-compliant HTML that renders properly in Firefox (not produced by Microsoft software), and using common video streaming formats like FLV (not produced by Microsoft software).

Marketing = constructive lies. Always has, always will.

Imagine how well anything would sell if marketers told the 100% truth about the products they had to push. With that in mind, imagine how many lost Windows sales there'd be if Microsoft told the truth about Windows (not to mention if they charged to-the-public-prices on OEM software to ISVs, but that's a whole other rant).

I'm split three ways:

1) Microsoft palming off advertising through a shill

2) Someone trying very hard to suck up to Microsoft (maybe it's a pitch at a job/contract for the company by an individual/marketing firm?)

3) A massive troll/pisstake.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  12. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

That new simpsons intro on tv was done in silverlight.

13. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yes, but my TV doesn't run Silverlight natively. :)

14. OP
    OP
    -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

Combination of 1 and 2 most likely.

http://www.asus.co.uk/eeepc/1008HA/features.html

Looks like it's asus uk who got a call from ms.

I got the original link from this article:

http://popey.com/Asus_The_Fair_Weather_Friend

15. stmok

stmok Member

I don't have WINE installed. I don't believe in temporary band-aids.

16. stmok

stmok Member

What? I need to draw you a map?

Windows World => Promotes laziness, incompetence, and ignorance of security.

I've advised at least 26 people in my local area to cancel their credit cards, changed their passwords, etc because they blindly accept requests for their details.

17. elvis

I think you're missing the key difference between designing something in a particular package, and delivering it in a particular medium/format.

As mentioned, nobody is watching the Simpsons on their TVs using Silverlight. We're all decoding a nice, open-specification MPEG2 Transport Stream.

Similarly if someone uses Adobe After Effects, Foundry Nuke or Apple Shake to build a video, that doesn't mean I need any of those tools installed to watch it, as the final output is encoded in an open standard.

18. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

It doesnt matter what platform you are on, people will still fall victim to those phishing scams.

Your ignorant if you believe this is a fault of Windows.

I didn't miss the point, i just thought it was a cool little fact most people don't know about :)

19. TaroT

TaroT Member

people promote that not an operating system.

as for admin...xp maybe but not fiesta...vista :) admin dead by default.
    hinestly all this advertising and bohooing on both sides is just a waste of time and money.
    use what you want and need and don't listen to the use car salesmen on either side they will only try and sell you a ford or holden

20. elvis

Not many people knowing about it: yes.

Cool: Not sure about that one. It's yet another proprietary vector drawing format. I don't see the point, when W3C-sanctioned SVG and animated SVG should be the direction people go in.

Interoperability starts with open standard file formats. Open tools that make proprietary file formats aren't the solution.