moth/dragon fly close-ups....

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by woolly, Dec 18, 2008.

1. woolly

woolly Member

My attempts at using a kit lens for close-ups, both of these are the results of some sharpening and cropping of pictures taken with the 18-55mm on a 1000D:

Comments and suggestions Welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wrobel

wrobel Member

I'm no bug or macro afficinionado but I think you're doing pretty well with just the standard kit lenses.
    Cheers

3. D3P

D3P Member

yup
    for a standard lens, deep in my head, i was thinking : i didn't know that we can take macro with that lens?
    nice pix mate
    :thumbup:

4. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

my thoughts exactly, excellent work with the kit lense. also, didn't realise the 1000d had a 4:3 aspect ratio, or did you crop?

5. OP
    OP
    woolly

woolly Member

thanks for the comments everyone. :thumbup:

yeh they're cropped to 4:3 aspect ratio, origonals where 4:6.

my technique at the moment is to just get as close to the bug as the lens will focus and take the picture, mostly in f/5.6 and then crop it fairly heavily, the pictures still seem to keep a usable resolution.

i went out today and took some at the adelaide botanic gardens, again with my 18-55mm, the dragon fly was quite large and didnt move much so it wasnt too bad, didnt need any cropping at all :) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also i think i may be getting an actual macro lens (probably the tamron one) after christmas :D

6. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Well done, macro can be very harsh on equipment but you've done a great job on such humble glass.

The composition is fairly bland, but that'll come with time. Perhaps instead of a macro lens a good short zoom with close focus? This way you'll also have a nice walkaround to replace the 18-55 with :D

Keep it up and keep posting.

-Lachie

7. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

First off - nice effort with kit glass. The 18-55 is suprisingly not crap at that sort of close-up work, but sold mine with my 300D.

Secondly, the first of your dragonfly photos is not a dragonfly. I think it may be a damselfly with its wings out.

Thirdly, when it comes to macro lenses, may point out the following...

A dedicated macro lens is a big investment and you will be frustrated with the results at first, until you get the lighting and stuff sorted out.

A set of extension tubes is much cheaper, and while they do not work on your 18-55, you could buy a second-hand long EF* lens as well and still end up coming out of it cheaper. This will allow you to get another lens and have macro abilities, and when you have the macro stuff sorted out you can splurge out on a dedicated macro lens. The extension tubes will still be very useful on the macro lens.

That is what I did, and I *still* think I wasted money on the macro lens by buying it before I was able to take full advantage of the monetry outlay.

May I present exhibit A:

[​IMG]

Standard 100mm F2.0 lens with a 25mm extension tube. Natural light, hand held.

*edit: stoopid brane, stoopid TLAs.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  8. OP
    OP
    woolly

woolly Member

i have a EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III would this work with a set of extention tubes or does it have to be a prime lens and where do you get extention tubes and what would you recommend?

i had a look at the TAMRON SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro Lens 90 f2.8 and thought it wasnt too bad.

9. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Extension tubes will work on any EF lenses, the longer the better. They should prove very useful on your 75-300.

Edit: Stoopid speeling.

10. OP
    OP
    woolly

woolly Member

11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yup, they'll work.

As for autofocus, that's not a problem. You focus manually when doing macro anyway - and fine tune it by varying the distance to the subject.

12. Trevor_S

Trevor_S Member

A favourite subject :) Though I am no photographer, more a happy snapper

This one in flight (Nikon D300 w/ Nikkor 70-300VR) (Running Rv, NW of Townsville)
    [​IMG]

stationary
    [​IMG]

along with some of his friends close by
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Porcupine Gorge NP (Outback NW Qld)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Not sure if you got the long kit lens as well as the 18-55, but I took these with the kit 55-250 IS .. using a tripod from a fair away away. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click for bigger. Also see my sig for more macro using the Tamron 90mm and Canon MP-E 65mm if you're keen. :)

14. OP
    OP
    woolly

woolly Member

nice shots trevor s, i like the two that are under "From Porcupine Gorge NP (Outback NW Qld)" very nice shots :thumbup:

Great shots agg it looks like some kind of shiny damselfly very interesting :thumbup:, and yup i did get the twin lens kit 18-55 and 75-300 although i havnt used the 75-200 for close-ups as i cant seem to get it to focus up close :(
    Also i noticed the weevil on your flicr agg, looks a lot like one i photographed a while ago - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=737922 :)

15. OP
    OP
    woolly

woolly Member

Saw a wierd bug (looks kinda like a baby damselfly) and a huntsman spider:

The bug:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spider:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]