1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

motherboard bent pins

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by alexnub, May 3, 2020.

1. alexnub

alexnub Member

I just bought a motherboard off here a
    nd opened the cpu socket and it looks like i have a bent pin or piece of soilder stuck in there. I'll try to post pics so you can have a closer look.

I havn't tried adding the cpu yet and turning everything on yet. should i try that first and see what happens or attempt to straigten the pin myself? any advice?
    P_20200503_171716_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20200503_171645_vHDR_Auto.jpg

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Try and get your money back.I can see 3 pins that are bent.Solder is a sign the pin has broken off.
    Don't waste your time with this board.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  3. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

I agree.. send it back and get a refund

DSTM (Dougie) and pwlm1975 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

im tempted to get a refund but i do want to plug it all in and see if it works first. I just want to know if attempting this could fry my cpu

5. spit051261

spit051261 Member

I'd plug it in and see first .
    I have bent pins by over tightening although some people here think it's impossible.
    It's not.
    When I bent my pins , my board would not boot , CPU was fine.

6. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

its your call... its possible to fry your cpu. depends if lady luck is on your side :)

7. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

We're there no photos accompanying the sale? Intel mobos and AMD CPUs are two things I would insist on getting photos of first.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  8. spit051261

spit051261 Member

I would say possible not probable :)

9. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

I got a description for the mobo and the seller stated that they used it once and it was in perfect condition. I didn't even think to ask for a photo of the socket pins when I bought it, but I learned a valuable lesson the hard way :lol:. Hopefully the seller tested it before selling it, so I'm just crossing my fingers that It will start up ok once I power it on. I will post my results here once I try to power it on.

https://imgur.com/a/jtdHNRt

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've actually bent them back before and everything appeared to work ok afterwards.

11. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I have seen many fixing attempts that leave the socket in a worse state than where it started, it's easy to make a complete mess of it. I would test and see, I've had a few boards that have an iffy looking pin or two that work without any issues.

If you're uneasy about trying it then contact the seller and get your money back. Most old lga boards that have seen a few cpu changes are not going to be perfect.

12. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

Depends on the luck of pins, if the bent pin carries voltage and grounds to the pin next door bye cpu, if its 2 data lines then just won't post

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For sure, extremely easy to bend other pins while you're doing it. You gotta use a very very fine tip "thing", with a magnifying glass....and go very very slowly.

14. connico

connico Member

I've unbent pins using a small hobby knife and a magnifying glass and a hell of a lot of patience. Did one board with 8 pins and it all booted up fine and is still running to this day :p

MR CHILLED likes this.
  15. philquad

philquad Member

im the king of bent pins, easy fix, dont buy intel boards lol
    & their called fingers apparently on intel now, pins are on amd cpus
    i now \ will have 2 intel boards here i need to put cpus back in (why do i keep buying them) & im dreading doing it
    im going to make a loop with some sticky tape & use it to drop cpu in board
    good luck.

16. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

The computer shop near to me won't even sell these boards unless they put the cpu in for you.Then they will warrant.Like the guy that originally bought this board new.He stuffed the board, and now sold to unsuspecting member.These pins are spring loaded and so easy to damage.Some I have bought and repaired, some I have had to bin.JCAR have very fine tipped tweezers, which I found helped.As said previous, get close ups of the pins before parting with your money.It not only has the boot up, but everything has to work on the board.
    I would want my money back.He fucked the board dropping the cpu in.Worked perfect my arse.If it worked perfect he wouldn't be selling the board.

17. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I don't want to defend the seller because its a pretty obvious pickup from the pictures but I'd stop short of saying it was a malicious sale without contacting them first. Stuff is sold here all the time, it being broken usually isn't the motivating factor.

18. OP
    OP
    alexnub

alexnub Member

I had success. I tried to unbent the pin using a LED pin to put pressure on it and sort of straightened it, although not perfectly. I booted the PC and I got it working, with no problems so far. Hoping I dodged a bullet and no problems develop down the line but I'll take your advice and contact the seller for more info in the future. Board only cost me $90 so the risk if things went wrong was never great. It was the first time I bought a motherboard online so I didn't know what questions to ask or what to look for in a board, so I just sorta winged it. I feel like I learned a bit the hard way, but lesson learned.

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was going to say, when I read the first few posts, that I believe I could fix the board quite easily. I've rescued far more damaged boards than that one. Its really not a difficult fix, as you have discovered.

In many cases, the damaged pins are not an issue even if you can't straighten them, they could simply be redundant power or ground pins, and you may have only lost a tiny bit of potential power handling, or even completely unused pins.

That said, I wouldn't have bothered. The damage is obvious and unless you damaged the board yourself and aren't telling us, the seller lied to you or hasn't properly packaged it for transit. That's unlikely though, damage in transit tends to happen with large clusters of damaged pins, not just a few widely spread apart pins.

Was it packaged with a CPU cover? If not, that's a cardinal sin right there. If it was, then the seller would have seen the very obvious damage when packing it and should have informed you. Either way, even BlindFreddie would not have missed the damage (and BlindFreddie was not the seller concerned).

I would have demanded that the seller took the board back and refunded you for both the sale price and any postage/handling costs you have incurred, including return postage.

Just on principal, I would have returned it for a refund. You shouldn't have needed to fix it, as it was specifically advertised as being in perfect condition. Selling boards with damaged pins is perfectly acceptable, PROVIDED THAT THE SALES THREAD CLEARLY STATED ITS REAL CONDITION. This wasn't the case, I've read the sales thread and you have been deceived.

I won't name names, but the seller is easily identified by looking at previous postings in your profile, and that seller has now hit my blacklist as an untrustworthy seller.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sounds a bit harsh or a way to make money. Unless you are able to bring a cpu in with you? I assume that after they fit it you're on your own if you come back in and they find bent pins.