Motherboard for i7 8700k

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Digidave, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Digidave

Digidave Member

Need assistance in selecting a motherboard for the following CPU from Umart:
    i7 8700k

I only want to run 1 graphics card (not interesting in SLI)
    32GB Ram

Dual Channel Ram? Will 2X16GB Dual Ram only be detected as 16GB

What Ram should I get?

Appreciate any help and happy to answer questions.

Not going to need much more than 1 SDD and Secondary Drive. Nothing too fancy for this build. Only going to run a 1080 Ultra Wide 144G sync with budget high end Galax GTX 1080. I know it could run 2K - but figured for a budget 1080 card is best to max out on ultra smooth game play all the way up with fasted frames and refresh as possible??? Not wishing to spend $1200-1500 on a higher end comparable 2K monitor and then again on Graphics equal to the resulting selected monitor and card setup. I doubt the budget 1080 would run as effectively on a higher end 2K monitor. I know it could do it ... but If I went 2K I would buy a more expensive video card. Welcome your thoughts.

But for now ... I am not sure what Motherboard???????

2. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

For 8700K I am not sure what your budget is, but as most good Z370 boards are discontinued picking from Umart's Z390 something like Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite/Pro with beefy VRM will suit you nicely if you are serious in CPU overclocking but not serious in memory overclocking and you do not mind Gigabyte's unintuitive BIOS.

3. OP
    OP
    Digidave

Digidave Member

Thank You. That helps.
    ~Cheers.

4. philquad

philquad Member

5. OP
    OP
    Digidave

Digidave Member

Thanks ... I can't beleive they are charging up to $60 extra on a Motherboard already priced over $220 for a necessity such a WIFI. I'd rather buy the $300 gigabyte board."

WOW - Just looked at a $300 Gigabyte board without WIFI ??????? Hmmmm ... I am going to have to rethink things as it seems the Industry is exploiting things a little too much to my liking. I have been out of the game for a while, but thought wifi used to be standard on many boards over 200 ... at least you got it with a 250+ MB. The PC building game seems to be lacking for me now.

32GB ram minimum for me ... but yea ... that ram is indeed a good budget option.

6. OP
    OP
    Digidave

Digidave Member

For the price this Asus Board looks Good enough for my purposes. I am still getting over the high prices on inbuilt wifi and just cant justify supporting it.

Do you think a cheap WiFi card will do in this Asus board and also could the PCI-e Wifi Card be effectively installed low enough (without effecting priority of slot placement) not to interfere with Graphics cooling?

7. philquad

philquad Member

dont quote me but unless your overclocking etc you could get away with a lot cheaper board, like h370 maybe, think its compatible
    & wi-fly, i cant see how onboard wireless can be much different then say a card or usb job
    i buy them $10 usb things on ebay as long as your only within short range of the router
    think onboard wi-fi is aimed at mini-itx boards for whatever reason

Digidave
    https://www.umart.com.au/TP-LINK-TL...-2T2R--2-4GHz--802-11n-g-b--2-det_22368G.html

stick 1 of these down the bottom.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  8. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

MSI Z370-A pro, $158 from MSY.