Motherboard has no RAM boot error, then Windows will not boot, then file corruption.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by THE D, Feb 12, 2018.

1. THE D

THE D Member

So last night my PC (2500K, P67 motherboard, HyperX Fury 1866 RAM) locked up and when I restarted it have me a no memory beep code, I left it for a while and when I came back it would boot up to Windows but then BSODed after a minute (this happened twice), (I removed the overclock on the RAM at this point) then on the next boot it claimed the registry was corrupt. Thinking that I would have to restore it from boot media (that I do not have laying around) I plugged in my old SSD with my old install of Windows, but it BSODed with the same code the main drive had.

At this point I pulled out both sticks of RAM, reinserted one stick and the system booted to Windows (main drive, but it had some file corruption), thinking maybe the other stick of RAM was bad, I swapped them to check but it booted fine again, then I swapped the first stick back into that slot and put the other into the other slot of the pair and it gave me a no RAM error again.
    Swapped the pair into the other pair of slots and it booted fine.

At this point you would think it is just a dead slot, but this RAM came from an other computer that has had the very same problem with it, I had run a memtest on it before I put it in this system and I have also stress tested it with Prime95 without problems.

So I am confused why it would act like this (and how to prove it to get warranty).

2. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

try different ram in that slot and memtest. also try resetting the bios to default and checking the slot with the original ram. also check ram voltages in bios. did you up the voltage for the ram overclock originally?

3. OP
    OP
    THE D

THE D Member

I no longer have any other RAM (and the fact it did the same thing in the other system makes a dead slot highly unlikely), I did reset the BIOS (did not boot), I know the RAM voltages, they are back at stock (but they were also at stock in the other system).

4. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

I think your best bet is to test a single stick of RAM in each slot using Memtest (minimum 1 pass) at stock settings (no CPU/RAM overclock). Then repeat using the second stick.

If both sticks fail in the same slot then there is a bum slot.

If one stick fails in one or more slots but not necessarily in the same slot as the other stick then that is probably a bad stick of RAM.

If both sticks fail all over the place then you've likely got two bad sticks of RAM. At this point you'll likely have to get a known working stick of RAM and repeat the above test to rule out the possibility of dead slots. Alternatively, repeat the test in a known working motherboard with the HyperX Fury RAM just to double check that the RAM is bad.

5. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

My 2 cents is to clean the DIMM slots and gold fingers on the ram sticks before doing above.

To clean the DIMM slots get a can of this, https://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic-circuit-board-cleaner-spray-can/p/NA1008 Spray a generous amount into the slots. It drys after about 1 minute.

Then spray it on to toilet paper and wipe the gold fingers on the ram sticks. It is amazing how dirty things get, even when sitting there doing nothing.

6. OP
    OP
    THE D

THE D Member

I did not see much in the way of crap on the the sticks, but I guess I could give them a clean with iso.

7. OP
    OP
    THE D

THE D Member

Slots are very much alive, I have 2 other sticks of RAM in them and the system is working fine (or at least it has been since Thursday).