1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Motherboard natively compatible with Raven Ridge (2nd Gen) Ryzens?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Kharn83, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Kharn83

Kharn83 Member

Hi All,

Have a query as I'm about to purchase a Ryzen 2200G APU with Vega integrated graphics. As it is a second Gen Ryzen APU, existing AM4 motherboards can only boot with it after the BIOS has been upgraded using a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU. If you don't have one handy the motherboard won't boot/Post, and you won't be able to flash the BIOS to a newer version.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any newer motherboards that natively support Ryzen 2nd Gen APUs without needing a BIOS upgrade?

Would help save a lot of hassle when I'm trying to build my new PC!

Cheers and Thanks!
    Robert

2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Option 1.) get one with a sticker on the box saying compatible with Ryzen 2200G/2400G - YMMV depending on the store you're dealing with
    Option 2.) wait for 400 series chipset in a month or three (not sure exact date but its not far away)

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I offered to help update BIOS for you in your previous thread on this subject. Up to you, the offer stands.

4. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

You have a few options with this:

1. You can ask your retailer to update the board for you, most are more than happy to do this for you if you explain what you're doing and ask nicely.

2. You can apply for a "Boot Kit" from here which will include a compatible AM4 chip you can use the flash your BIOS with.

3. Take Ratzz up on their generous offer :)

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

5. TaroT

TaroT Member

I tried asking for the boot kit got a email address rejected message...well customer service...umm yeah :p
    another way is buying one of the super duper cheap 9 series apus for 80 bucks and shoving it in a drawer.
    but yeah when you put in an order ask them to flash it for you or get the board with the sticker on the box or do what I did and throw a 1600x and a 7850 in and do it (byt the way not a fan of the asus 350 boards way to clunky and they suck with ram :)

6. iodine

iodine Member

Boards this late in the year now come with correct bios. Mine did anyways..

7. miicah

miicah Member

Just FYI, PCCaseGear will not update the BIOS on a board unless you buy the CPU from them as well.

8. iodine

iodine Member

Good to know. I purchased my board and cpu together. Put a note on the order to make sure they checked it. Supplier I used (won't name) had a cart item that would pay them to do it - but they said that wasn't needed to be added to my order. So I can only assume it wasn't needed as they had an expectation the board would have latest bios. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and its a pretty decent processor for all round use.

9. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Can confirm that my B350 motherboard I purchased a few weeks ago came with BIOS update that made it compatible with Gen 2 CPUs out of the box.

10. iodine

iodine Member

I purchased a Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming and its a very nice mainboard. Very happy with it to be honest.

11. bobster

bobster Member

I got a new MB Friday, hope it has the updated BIOS

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

All this talk of new stuff is making me hungry for an upgrade....
    But just too much crap going wrong in my life atm to be able to afford one..
    Upside... when i can afford it all mobos will have new BIOS :)

13. RnR

RnR Member

Did it? Currently waiting for confirmation from umart that the GA-AX370M-DS3H board has the updated bios... but its saturday, so their sales email is taking some time to respond :/

Edit: "Please put a note into your order that you want the latest bios installed. This can only be done by our technicians who don't work Saturdays."

<sigh>

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  14. bobster

bobster Member

My one from PCByte did

15. RnR

RnR Member

So my board from umart has bios version F20 which does not support 2nd gen Ryzen. F22 does. Thankfully the call went out and a friend of a friend had a spare 1600 cpu which works like a champ... after the bent pins were straightened :D

16. zebu

zebu Member

we got a 2400g at work with a mobo in the same order to try out just in the last couple of weeks. the board was out of stock but still had an old bios when it arrived.
    I contacted AMD after all the articles about how they would loan you a CPU to do the flash with.

Their automated response was to request all the info that showed that nobody else would help you first.

17. Groff

Groff Member

Any board recommendations from the New B450m range for the 2200g?

18. bobster

bobster Member

I like Gigabyte Aorus M but I think MATX is a pretty useless form factor, I would pay a little more for itx

19. Groff

Groff Member

Thanks Bobster. I just created a new thread after reading the guidelines :s

mAtx is pretty perfect for this scenario - not too big while having room for expansion later on yet not super small with no room for expansion and more expensive.

20. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I think mATX is the best format. How often does one realistically use more than one expansion card? Sometimes. Good to have space for a sound card... capture card.. some extra USB ports, etc. How often realistically is a PC full? Two cards in SLI, sound card, capture card, usb ports, PCI-e SSD.. etc. Basically never.

The B450M Mortar has 2 x PCIe 16x and 2 x PCIe 1x. Room enough for two cards in SLI, a sound card and a capture card. That's more than the average user will ever need. Especially when onboard sound is so much better than it used to be.

Cases are smaller and you aren't left with zero options for expansion like with mITX.

Groff likes this.