motherboard-to-power switch connector

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by kaz3e, Nov 22, 2006.

1. kaz3e

kaz3e Member

Hi,

I'm trying to reusing an old case that has lost the wires connecting the power switch to the motherboard. Is there some place to buy replacment ones or some way to make them?

Cheers,

kaz3e.

2. inspectr

inspectr Member

PM me an address and I can send over a spare pair if you cant get one from the members in Perth - one for the power and one for the reset button (correct?). Big case or a small one?

I salvage them from every case that gets thrown out.

3. OP
    OP
    kaz3e

kaz3e Member

It's an AT case use to house a old 486.

I'm interested in the wiring as I'm thinking of getting one of those military type toggle switches. Can I just connect any two wires?

thanks inspectr, if i can't get any i'll PM you.

4. nux

nux Member

If its an AT motherboard and PSU, then you don't connect a wire to the motherboard. It comes from the PSU.

If its an ATX motherboard, you need a momentary switch to turn it on. Not a toggle switch.

5. OP
    OP
    kaz3e

kaz3e Member

Yeh I'm going to be using an ATX motherboard & PSU and the toggle switch I'm looking at says it's momentary. Just not sure about connecting it to the motherboard.

Also if there is more than two connecting points on the switch which ones do I use? :confused:

6. The Brat Prince

The Brat Prince Member

run a key along the header until it turns on, that'll find that power switch pins for ya

7. nux

nux Member

The switch will have 2 or 4 contacts, if it has 4 they're just doubled up. Use a multimeter to test which contacts are switched.

8. inspectr

inspectr Member

9. nux

nux Member

He wants a momentary switch for an ATX motherboard..

10. blakeyboysmith

blakeyboysmith Member

ok there normally two pins on the motherboard that when shorted power everything up..
    you want to connect two wires to these pins and then to a momentary switch.. be it a momentary toggle (i.e it springs back) or a push button so it completes the circuit only when depressed. you can pick up such switches from places like jaycar.

its pretty simple to wire up. i guess finding an old connector to use on the mobo header to connect the wires to the pins would be the harder part to find.. you could just solder straight to the pins if you wanted to be totally dodgy.

11. inspectr

inspectr Member

And that is EXACTLY what is pictured there - a momentary switch mated to a bracket that fits into an AT case switch mount.

The switch that I have here CAME from a transition era case which could be used for either an AT or ATX setup. The beauty of what I am offering is that the switch is designed for the required application and the extension of the switch fits perfectly into the mount of the AT style case, it has a 2 pin connector and is even labelled "POWER SW"

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  12. OP
    OP
    kaz3e

kaz3e Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll take you up on that offer Inspectr, PM sending.