Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by ddk, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I've looked up some causes on this but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

I've been playing Skyrim for ages but just recently I moved my TV to be in a significantly higher position. Ever since then I started getting really sick after just a few minutes of playing and it seems to happen with any game with similar motion in it even after I've changed the TV back to the original height.

I get that some people suffer from this regularly but for me this is a very recent thing and I can't seem to find any reasons online for why this would suddenly occur.

Just figured I can't be the only one out there who's experienced this so hoping there's someone who knows a solution because I have a ton of first-person/third-person games and this could make them all go to waste.

2. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

Try getting a texture pack and see if that helps. I cant play HL2 beause I get super motion sick in the city parts of the game. Pretty much steam engine games are the only games that make me feel terrible

3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Never used to get till the last couple of years. Skyrim and metro 2033 are the worst offenders for me.

4. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I just changed my sitting position back to what I used to use and it seems to have worked. It's bloody uncomfortable though 'cause it's a bean-bag on a hardwood floor and it desperately needs another bag of beans. It seems that sitting up close and being on the exact same level as the TV, and also having the lights on, helps me.

Maybe it's just psychological but hey, whatever works.

5. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I cant play Skyrim, Fable 3, or only FPS for more than 30mins otherwise I get terrible motion sickness... its frustrating! in my case it seems to be something to do with games where you move the mouse and the camera moves, games where you move the mouse and only the cursor moves im fine.

It sucks :(

6. tzortst

tzortst Member

It's to do with the FOV (Field of View) Changing this will help reduce the effects and stop the motion sickness.

Unfortunately impossible to change on most console games, and super easy on pc games :|

7. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Ingame Depth of field + motion blur, make dem off. My gf gets motion sickness on buses, planes & boats & she threw up after trying Far Cry 3, but she can play Battlefield 3 just fine for hours with motion blur off.

Although that is with the monitor directly in front of her, so having the tv in front of you or grabbing a smaller HDMI monitor to just have on a table might make a bigger difference.

Also if your TV has any 'cinema motion' or trumotion/motionflow settings that make everything look smoother, turn that stuff off/on. Someone may have changed it or settings may have returned to default when you unplugged it or something from the sounds of it.

I don't get motion or gaming sickness but that motionflow feature on new tvs looks so unnatural to watch for me I almost feel sick/dizzy like my head is going sideways. I just can't stand it. Although for someone suffering actual motionsickness the smooth motion might possibly have the opposite effect and HELP with the motionsickness as it helps remove blur. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Wouldn't even know where to look for it. It has a 'game' setting so I guess that kinda thing would be turned off. I did forget to change it back since I accidentally used different HDMI ports until just recently so that might've been the cause.

9. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Any of the Half Life, Valve, Portal games bother me....

Seems to be a widespread issue with those games too.

No other FPS bothers me, but that engine does.

10. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Tried turning on/off Vsync? With the Source Engine, Vsync does make it lag a little, but it stops the massive tearing that might be getting to you. Also, they have a default FOV of 90 degrees, so if you're playing at a considerable distance, this might be too much. Alternatively, if you're up close, make sure the FOV is 90 and not 75.

OP, Skyrim is apparently 70-75 degree FOV. Try upping it to 90 if you're playing on PC.

11. Zeix

Zeix Member

I get motion sickness 10 minutes in to the game (it doesn't help that my favourite game is Portal haha), but I'm fine though if I keep a certain distance away from the monitor.

This ruled out PC gaming for me for quite some time, but now I'm just powering through it lol

12. savior

savior Member

Omg! I'm not alone!

I have always had motion sickness with games, but no one else I know of does and here I was thinking I was the only one.

I mainly get it with fps games, especially with the bobbing and weaving effects, doesn't bother me too much on fps games as most aren't that good anyways so I'm not missing out.

I managed to play far cry 3 the whole way through which was awesome but the helicopter bit near the end set me off bad.

Also cel shaded games do it to me aswell, borderlands & zelda windwaker were 2 games I really wanted to play but couldn't. Shame....

13. Zeix

Zeix Member

Surprisingly, I've had no problems with Borderlands :o Getting my eyes checked (needed new computer glasses) helped quite a bit but I still get dizzy with certain games like Far Cry, Skyrim, heck even Demon's Souls (sometimes) :/

14. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

You're all soft :p

Seriously though, the top of your monitor should be at eye level and turn the motion blur off.

15. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Since changing the height of the TV to be on a low TV table (about 50cm off the ground) and sitting on my very uncomfortable bean-bag again directly in front of the TV and with my head about 2m from the screen, I'm finding it doesn't affect me most of the time.

Sitting further away, from a different height or different angle, or especially if standing up (standing up is the worst, I actually start to sway with the motion and for some reason can't stop it), I'll still get sick.

I also find that focusing on a point in the game really helps. Like if I'm moving towards a door, then focusing on the door handle as I move, seems to make everything much better. But if I take in the whole picture and don't focus on anything in particular, I'll get sick almost immediately.

16. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

The large majority of FPS games have always made me sick. I've persisted periodically over the years but without a lot of success.

Wolfenstein 3d was the first game I remember making me sick.

Funnily enough, I dont remember ever being affected by the early Doom games. Duke 3D i could power through back in the day, but playing in recent years affected me a bit. I can play UT GOTY after lots of practice and getting used to it.

Virtually all other modern first person shooters make me feel sick within 10-15 minutes. There appears to be no cure, other than tablets or playing through it and getting sick a few times regularly, until your brain adjusts. I find even with UT if I dont play it for months, my brain needs a bit of retraining again to stop the sickness!

17. sjobeck

sjobeck Member

Probably due to the orientation of your vestibular (balance) system with the semicircular canals that give your brain information about where your head is in a more vulnerable position.

18. whfbee

whfbee Member

Id really suggest playing with the FOV if your on a platform that can (PC). I remember Dead Island made me feel so sick in a matter of minutes.

19. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Same with me mate. For me it's as mentioned above, the way the whole screen moves when you aim instead of just the reticule. I remember hearing the hype about Portal, flipped it in, 30 seconds later I wanted to be sick lol.

20. Tekin

Tekin Member

I'm pretty good with motion sickness normally, but I cannot play FPS games in Eyefinity without suffering headaches.

Racing games seem to be fine, but the flickering movement in my perphiral vision gets to me after a while.

Source games (HL2 and Portal) are definitely the worst offenders!

I have to just use one monitor for them.