Moto or Oppo? Offer some input for a replacement...

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by merlin13, Aug 29, 2020.

1. merlin13

merlin13 Member

In addition to throwing both my back and neck out last week, my Moto G4 Plus decided to go the Hat Trick and shit the biscuit - Fast Charge option decided to mysteriously die, not only blowing a track off the board but also killing the USB data access and borked the microphone.

Almost a doorstop now, now being my room clock and temporary Hotspot and likely it'll end up stuck to the windscreen as my car GPS 'n Dashcam.

Myeh - got it At The Right Price about a year ago from in here so not that heartbroken over it. Apart from all the stock backups options in it (Drive and DropBoxAgent) not saving any of my apps or their settings, but Myeh, that's another sob story.

So then - whilst currently running on a standby phone and scrolling through specs for a potential replacement, looking for any opinions/Pros 'n Cons/Do's 'n Don'ts between a Moto G8 Plus and an Oppo A52.

Main KPI's are Android, Dual SIM and dollars. And outright buy, no plans - the two plans I use are quite sufficient, have been for yonks and wouldn't be matched even if the Salesmen were drunk and on drugs.

The Oppo is slighty ahead but I'm sorta fond of the Moto option for some obscure reason - She Who Must Be Obeyed isn't...

Anyway, not that I'm indecisive or anything nor that scared of my Minister of War and Finance but anyone care to offer input for either of those phone options?

To keep the Missus happy am open to an earlier used Dual SIM Moto, but they ain't been coming up in the Phones For Sale section. Not keen to play evilBay or Farcebook on something used either.

2. doug81

doug81 Member

TBH, I'd go the moto as it's got a cleaner O/S. If that's not an issue, the OPPO has bigger battery (same as g8 plus), bigger screen, and you might get a model with more RAM as 4gb is a little light. My wife's cousin has had OPPO for ages and she loves them, so it's probably just an individual preference thing for the O/S...

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

following, my mum wants a new phone with big screen

4. doug81

doug81 Member

5. stiben

stiben Member

I recently bought my wife the A52, she was finally switching over from an iPhone too!

Excellent phone especially with the deals on OzB. The only "mod" you'll need is Nova Launcher ;)

Very long battery life, plenty of cases to choose from on eBay.

doug81 likes this.
  6. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

I just upgraded from a Moto G7 Plus to the Oppo A52. I use dual sim for work and personal number, Telstra and Boost.
    The last three phones I've had were Moto G series for the dual sim and clean OS.

The main reason was because the A52 supports VoLTE/VoWifi. Shitty mobile reception on in the work building and was sick of having to walk outside to take calls.
    Very happy with the phone. Just need to get used to the different button locations, keep bumping the volume etc without noticing.

Dual sim, dedicated SD slot, NFC, finger print reader, face recognition unlock. For the price I have no complaints.
    Only thing it doesn't have that would interest me is wireless charging.

Selling my Moto G7 Plus, only 12 months old with original box etc. Excellent condition. PM if interested.
    Otherwise have no issues recommending the A52, been using for a couple weeks now.

7. chook

chook Member

I have a Moto 5GS and love it. My son has a 6G something. They are great phones and the closest I can find to vanilla Android. I am still recommending the 7G and 8G phoens to people and would buy one if my phone needed replacing today.

Stooge007 likes this.
  8. kally

kally Member

Amazingly my Moto G8+ finally updated to Android 10 today!

9. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

Been using Android 10 on the A52 since I got it, ended up installing Nova Launcher, as I couldn't turn of a couple of things I didn't like with ColorOS launcher. Other than that it has been rock solid and can definitely recommend. The VoLTE/VoWifi works great with both Telstra and Boost sim.
    ColorOS/Android 11 due to start rolling out to Oppo A52 in December.