Motorola 360 / Smart Watches

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by rkaid, Sep 4, 2014.

1. rkaid

rkaid Member

~11pm, the Moto 360 should break at the event in Chicago; Im insta-ordering.
    These devices inticed anyone else here? Searching proved not a mention of the device, or anything on the format.

Silent alerts, quick dismissing of notifs, music control, GPS for running, etc are the bits im digging, and the 360 is easily the best thing on the horizon. Close links to Google too :)

2. yoink

yoink Member

I had the LG one, but it runs out of battery in less than 1.5 days, quicker is you use it heavily. The software is ok, but not spectacular. They are also really big and clunky. I sold mine on eBay, and went back to my pebble.

3. OP
    OP
    rkaid

rkaid Member

Good feedback ta. I charge the phone every night, i cant sleep with a watch on (or clothes daaaaim) so charging every night isn't an issue.
    Was in position to get a pebble a few times.

4. ronald_r32

ronald_r32 Member

The flat tyre at the bottom the moto 360 would bug me :thumbdn:

5. minireza

minireza Member

Any news on the release yet.. The event should of been finished by now and nothing on the net yet?

6. yoink

yoink Member

Another big thing was the fact that the screen is either always on (ie: lights up the room like a night light), or completely off, in which case you need to tap it to see the time.
    The pebble is much smarter - screen is always on but it doesn't need backlight, and you simply shake it to get the light on. It would be good if they implemented the shake feature on the always off screen... One thing I found curious was that having the screen always off did not improve the battery life by much.

7. ronald_r32

ronald_r32 Member

Been pushed back
    Source
    it's currently 6:45pm 4th September CT. So expect something at 3pm AEST

8. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Moto 360 review

Battery life still a concern. But it looks good. $249USD

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  9. joshpond

joshpond Member

I've read elsewhere that under heavier use they had to charge by 4pm. Maybe the next gen will be better.
    Josh

10. yoink

yoink Member

Ars review is up

Pros

• It's pretty
    • Auto-brightness (Something that the LG G really needed)

Cons

• 1/2 the battery life of the Lg G (which was one of the worst aspects)
    • Slow processor (circa 2010 TI, WTF?)
    • Has issues with Bluetooth (Something I didn't notice on the LG G, mind you it was paired to a Nexus 5 (LG) phone, this might be good on a Motorola?)

11. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I really liked this idea of the Moto 360 and was ready to treat myself but this is a real disappointment. Bah.

12. OP
    OP
    rkaid

rkaid Member

. it gets through a 13h day when used like an incidental watch, not a phone.
    . there's said to be no noticing of slow downs with old chip
    . the last update fixed the BT issues mostly. I read many smart watches loose connection every now and then. Its a few seconds to reconnect from phone.

For a first gen device, I still reckon its within the margins of accepability. Theoreticaly I love the concept of wearables, time will tell.
    I couldnt resist and ordered for $390 through eXpansys.
    When a second gen comes along, or I don't like it, expect it to be for sale on this forum :)

13. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

I do wish they put more thought into the release (building a good stockpile and working on the supply they knew they would have for it). For now I'm holding off and waiting for an AU release, but with the Aussie Dollar as it is, it won't likely be much different from what the above buyer is paying.

14. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Well, I ended up getting one
    I got the Stone band, Silver Colour. Made a brief video of it.

It was almost done processing when I posted this link so hopefully it works.

I'll take it into work tomorrow and see how things go. So far it's pretty awesome. Charging time is quick, I would like a alternate way to charge it if I was at a place without a wireless charging pad. At work I think there is a windows phone wireless charger, I might check to see if it's the same specs.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  15. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Seems a bit quiet here about this smart watch! It's fashion wise the best out there imo. Made another video, this ones about changing the leatherband colour. I stained my stone band to be brown.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Kogan have this currently for $369 delivered.

17. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Watch is now available in JB hifi and harvey norman in varying amounts of stock (currently low) for $329 locally.

18. joxer

joxer Member

Went to jb to check it out, no stock.

Saw a galaxy gear live, bought it for $150.

About to try it

19. joxer

joxer Member

ok so after 1 day of use with the gear live I can see a few issues.

1. battery life

this is a biggy, it's just terrible, one day of not doing much and you'll need to charge it before the end of the day. I'm talking 8am to 5pm and it was down to 40% and I barely had time to play around with it.

2. charger

You have to clip this stupid thing onto the back so you can plug in a micro USB cable. It's kind of dinky and looks like an afterthought. I would have thought either an integrated uUSB (smartwatch3?) or magcharge cable would have been better. Especially given the need to top up power constantly, you really have to carry around that little dongle which you WILL lose or break.

3. software

There's not much out there really, and I can see the user base being frustrated with incompatibilities with tizen, etc. This is something that will be common to all watches until Wear gets better (and it will). But some interesting apps I can use and have installed are calendar, audio recorder, remote camera shutter for phone, blackjack, internet browser, calculator, flappy bird clones, find my phone, weather, maps, keep, watch faces. The touch interface is also a bit daft and I can see the way you open/close apps will change (at least it better). Using the OK Google thing for everything is annoying and given its accuracy you're likely to want to bypass it anyway, But you can't (and you should be able to disable it). The start menu is at the bottom, it should really be at the top of the menu.

In terms of looks and feel, I have a smallish wrist and it fits ok with lots of adjustment. I sense it needs a lot because the in built heart monitor is quite sensitive and the watch needs to be firmly seated. The screen turns on constantly from movement which can be distracting and power consuming. There's no way I can see to change it to only come on with a tap for instance. So bring the watch up to look at the face will see the screen automatically come on. The home screen is also a loss being passive rather than active and customisable.

For $150 for a 1st gen device though, pretty good. Once the software settles I can see the cheap hardware being able to see these things go for about $50 within 3 years via OEM. It's the sideloaded apps I can see being useful with small, efficient home brew being the key.

Oh also the other thing, notifications can appear to be hit and miss if the BT doesn't get it, rendering the whole point of the 'silent notification' thing a bit moot. I should note also when the watch vibrates it does carry a bit of a sound like a phone, and therefore not silent, you couldn't get away with it in a quiet meeting if the thing was going off due to a phone call. I guess the plus is you can dismiss it quickly with it on your wrist.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  20. Doso

Doso Member

Got my moto360 yesterday from the good guys for 315.

I'm impressed with it so far. Motorola has gone with simplicity with this device and I really like that, yes you can't type out messages or anything too advanced with it but it complements my Nexus 5 perfectly. Battery is also good getting an easy 1 day out of it.

Will report back later with more