Mouse pad vs no mouse pad?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Question, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Had a succession of Officeworks pads which lasted about as long as you'd expect. Tried just desk but turns out it's rougher than I though, like driving a sports car on an unsealed road. Now have a Roccat Alumic, very happy :)

2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I have an original Logitech G5, still on it's original feet and it's not had a mouse pad for as long as I can remember.

I also can't remember the last time I saw a mouse pad in my office and those mice usually get replaced only with a new machine which is about every 4 years or so in our place and there doesn't appear to be any major complaints about the mice.

But maybe I'm wrong and I should order new feet for both my work and home mice and see if I notice the difference.

3. orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

I just use a notebook I had lying around. The notebook has a fake leather (Moleskin type of notebook) and it works really well.
    Works well for my run of the mill Dell optical mouse.

4. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

I have a couple of pads, Razer Goliathus control & a pair of Tek Syndicates Zweihänder desk mats, I would never run a good mouse without a good pad. the desk mats are brilliant keyboard and gel wrist rest stay exactly where I put them, it used to be an issue on the smooth desktop.

5. danyell

danyell Member

I can't recommend these enough. 5 years and no lifting at corners etc and cheap!

6. grrrr

grrrr Member

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

no pad.

desk surface is fake leather, tracks and glides well. no complaints.

8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

High Five for everyone with Razer Goliathus pads!!
    I've used 2 since 2009. First a standard size control edition, and currently a large speed edition.

It's a Goliathus, or it's nothing.. I really don't know how Razer can do a mousepad better than anyone, but still can't do a mouse for shit.

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm used to using the desk, but my current desk is heavily laquered and just too shiny for an optical mouse, so I now use mousepads.

I just get mine made at Vistaprint. They are about 5mm thick, look like the same shit they make stubby holders out of. After about a year the fabric on the edges of this one is just starting to fray. Very nice to use.

This is my current one.. upload your own image, whip out your Visa, and its in the mailbox about 3 days later in my experience. $11.95 + post, best to get a few items to save on post.

[​IMG]

10. Bravs

Bravs Member

I've graduated from using an A4 paper and now use a piece of cardboard at work :) also can be used to write down messages and all.

11. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

i really liked my razor golithus until it starting fraying on the corners.

I bought the new razor* one off ebay super cheap with the sewn corners and it works fine.

TBH if you're find without one, then don't bother getting one.

*could be possibly fake

12. Glacy

Glacy Member

If you need a mouse pad recommendation, grab a Steelseries QcK. I got mine @ EB games for $9.

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

ive had s&s steel for over a decade now. it is a tiny bit worn...but ive just rotated it 180 degrees. voila! my pad is hard textured plastic. i can forsee ill have it for another 10 years

14. Rory K

Rory K Member

Seconded, I've got a big old Goliathus Alpha that's still going strong, haven't found anything that comes close to it.

15. japes

japes Member

Goliathus is basically Razers only half decent product.

I'd recommend a Steelseries QcK+ to anyone. Currently using a Zowie CM and would like to try the new GS-R.

16. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Okay, can anyone recommend anything other than the steel series QCK or QCK+? What makes them so good anyway?

Are there any other affordable options? Kmart probably has a "home brand" mouse pad...would it be any good?

What are some places to get affordable mouse pads? I saw EB games mentioned...what about places like big W?

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I have a huge hyperx mousepad. it's damn good

Have previously had goliathus speed and control - don't get the control ones, they're craptastic.

18. havabeer

havabeer Member

surely you can find a cheap one on ebay or something. in my view a good mouse pad isn't going to turn a cheap mouse some phenomenal piece of equipment.

19. OP
    OP
    Question

Question Member

Sure, but i dont want a mouse pad that feels like crap either.

20. m3k

m3k Member

i've got an aluminum mouse pad that raz0r one- its honestly been the best purchase- none of that curling or anything- looks amazing on my desk- mouse feet dont wear out or peel up because it glides smoother than textured pads, it also cools your wrists in the summer, its a big heat sync :p

oh and want to clean it? bita isopropyl and a rag GG clean as a whistle