1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Move existing Win 10 install to Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Zee, May 30, 2018.

1. Zee

Zee Member

I have someone with an existing PC, they have a new iMac, there are still some things they need the Windows environment for, and want to copy their existing Win 10 directly over to Bootcamp.

For some reason, Windows 10 doesn't actually let me make an full backup ISO - it only offers to make me a recovery disc, but only with a CD (WTF? Is this 1997?), so, I need a way to make a backup ISO of the Win 10 install which I could point Bootcamp to when setting it up.

Don't suppose anyone knows a way to do this? Not averse to paid for software it it makes life easy...

Z...

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Do a system image of Windows 10 using the backup utility, install Windows 10 on your Mac using Bootcamp with the same partition size and apply the system image backup to the fresh install.

3. everybodies

everybodies Member

or better use Parallels , it can make a virtual machine with existing windows 10 install, best of all it doesnt really take any space to do it, it doesnt copy everything into a virual machine it just uses existing install

4. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

I did try this, but Windows does not actually see the backup image. It simply does not recognise it exists on any othe rmachine than the one it was created on.

Z...

5. flu!d

6. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

flu!d likes this.
  7. flu!d

No probs Zee.

8. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

We finally settled on a clean new install in the end. I just copied all her files across and just set it up as the old unit, I think it was easier in the end than messing around trying to do a backup/move. Took about two hours with the Bootcamp setup, downloading and installing Office 2010 and getting the MYOB stuff sorted (which is why she has not yet moved to OSX). I may be undoing all my work in about 2 months, as she may be moving to Xero... So glad I pay for 100/50 interwebs...

Joys!

Z...

9. flu!d

I was gonna suggest just backing up the entire user profile and transfering it over.

When it comes to migration tools built into the OS, Microsoft's probably about the worst there is.

10. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, historically for me, a new wWi dows machine is a nice with a USB drive, a bottle of wine, and a lot of copying of files after install. OSX really makes it easy.

Z...