Moved from pure to NordVPN and just setup wireguard from pfsense = Fast.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by davros123, Apr 13, 2021.

1. davros123

davros123 Member

Hi folks, PureVPN's "lifetime" deal ended for me and despite being alot cheaper than Nord, I decided F8ck Pure for saying "lifetime" is 5 years and went with Nord on one of their 2 year deals.

Turns out to be faster than Pure anyway esp. when I use this tute to setup a wireguard interface from pfsense 2.5 https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/m0989o/nordvpn_wireguard_setup_works/

Getting close to my max (~220Mbps) to HK. Nice.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i was on Pure and their speeds were good at the start, but towards the end of my 2 year subscription, it was crawling. Since moved to Windscribe, and they've been good so far (in terms of speed)

3. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  4. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

You might be able to get better if you do multi load balanced VPN connections. I've done this with mine. Won't help with latency though.

How are you finding the stability of Nord with v2.5.0? For some reason it is flaky as hell for me, but had no issues under 2.4.5.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  5. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

I moved back to 2.4.5 and single openvpn connection :) I'll leave 2.5 for a later day....much later !

I am thinking about making multiple vpn clients and bridging them ...I started it but it hurt my brain.
    Do you have any links you used to do the setup with Nord?

6. Symon

Not really, I just stumbled my way through it. The second VPN interface and connection is set up the same way as the first. Easy way to do this is once you have the first VPN set up, go to VPN > OpenVPN > Clients and click on the copy icon beside the existing connection, then just change the Description, and wallah! connection done.

You just need the additional steps below -

- got to Interfaces > Assignments and assign your new connection to an interface, and rename it to whatever you want.
    - set up a gateway group in System > Routing, make sure you set both VPN interfaces to Tier 1 if you want them to load balance
    - under Firewall > Rules set the gateway for your physical interface (usually LAN) to this gateway group instead of WAN
    - finally go to System > General and set unique DNS servers for each VPN interface as well as WAN. I don't know why pfsense requires this, but it does. If you only have two VPN connections use Nord's primary DNS address for the first and secondary DNS for the second

All going well you should see them load balance with a speedtest.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  7. callan

callan Member

While BSD itself is a carefully, conservatively curated operating system with a long, respectable lineage, some recent code ported to run on BSD has been shoddy, slapdash piles of crap.
    I'm surprised about your issues with wireguard though - I was under the impression that wireguard was ground-up pretty tight code. Does Wireguard run in the kernel ring?

8. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

Have a read of the linked article from ars ...it was a cluster f*ck involving a very shady arrangement with a very shady guy

9. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

Thanks mate - sadly not working for me...even had a strange hang on boot asking for an Auth: - I'll keep messing about with it.
    [​IMG]

10. Symon

Here's mine, with Nord and Proton VPN's set up in a load share. Also been playing with paired Proton VPN's to Singapore, no real reason other than just fiddling.

Annotation 2021-04-15 083632.jpg Annotation 2021-04-15 083740.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

Thanks for persisting with me...Issue was that I um, forgot to put the password in when I copied the vpn client. :)
    All good now. Much appreciate the help to get this going

Symon likes this.
  12. Symon

No worries, glad to have helped. Did you get better speeds?

13. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

Yes, it is testing better in speedtest... 150-200 were it was ~100-130 before.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Symon likes this.