MōVI - "a digital 3-axis gyro-stabilized handheld camera gimbal"

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by JoJoker, Apr 6, 2013.

1. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. Azrael

Azrael Member

3. OP
    OP
    JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. jars121

jars121 Member

I had contemplated making a thread, so happy to see this up here. I forget if it was Philip Bloom or Vincent Laforet, but someone had written a blog post about the upcoming NAB in Vegas, saying that there was a device coming out that would completely change the cinematography industry...and it wasn't a camera! I wonder what he was talking about haha ;)

5. !nsane

!nsane Member

6. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

$15K for the M10 doesn't sound that bad when you consider the price of a fully kitted Epic or Canon Digital Cinema camera...

Hope my boss can get one of these soon in the shop... will finally have some motivation to do some cardio

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Ill be running by yourside.

And agreed, to hobbyists it seems exxy.. but for a business this is a cheap investment into what can enable you to do so much.

8. jars121

jars121 Member

I wonder if it comes with free rollerblades?

9. ToanIsAnIdiot

ToanIsAnIdiot Member

10. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Wonder what this would mean for the wedding industry. No more videographers with the whole strapped in robocop outfits.

11. lucid

lucid Member

I think Freefly are the first to offer a 3-axis brushless stabilizer that could hold a large camera like the Epic. It's probably why they can charge that much but kudos to them for coming up with the idea of adding handles to it.

But like everything else that has come out of the hobby scene, there are a bunch of other people with the same expertise and know how. There's already about 6 different Movi clones that are about to be released for a far more reasonable price.

Here's a few of them who have websites up.
    http://www.monkey-gimbal.com/
    http://www.besteady.pro/
    http://rotorview.se/stabilizer/

12. nafan08

nafan08 Member

You can get a 3 axis gimbal to hold a full frame DSLR for around $500-$600.
    Is it as good maybe not but not far off. They are carbon fiber just a Chinese version, When I can afford one I will get one the Chinese one that is :)
    If you know what you are doing you could just make one It just made out of RC gear ;)

13. lucid

lucid Member

Have you got a link to show one of these working? I've found quite a few 3-axis frames on some chinese hobby sites but none with example videos. Most of them require you to source your own gimbal motors and controllers which aren't too easy to get a hold of that supports a DSLR.
    Apart from a couple still in development, there doesn't appear to be any reliable 3-axis controllers. Plenty of 2-axis ones though which can be paired for 3-axis.
    I'm going to start out with a cheap $199 2-axis gimbal kit to play around with my nex5n and see if I can add the 3rd pan axis later on.

14. nafan08

nafan08 Member

The only ones I know of are with servos. Brushless motors require more power and the control board for them are not designed for Dslr's but maybe an electrician could fix that issue.

You can get a motor to handle the load of a DSLR but you may have to do the windings yourself to make it happen. I don't know enough about it to give that stuff a crack.

I think 360deg servos one a pulley should be fine.

15. lucid

lucid Member

I think I know the one you are talking about. The cinestar clone by rctimer. You can get a brushless conversion kit for them. Servos don't provide fast enough correction the way brushless can. I found out all of the aerial footage using the cinestar servo gimbals have been post stabilized. Probably why they are moving over to brushless.