Had a slightly odd experience recently and thought I would document it. I had an old laptop that came with Office 2010 installed when I bought it second-hand. I know it's an older version but it works fine and doesn't require me to pay every month like current subscription-based ones do. Anyway, I now have a new laptop and wanted to transfer Office over to it, but I don't have the original install media or the product key or any proof or purchase or contact with the person I bought it from. So I'm boned, right? Seems not. The first step is to find the product key, which Microsoft go out of their way to make non-obvious. Why is it not simply in the About tab of any installed Office application? Anyway, googling reveals several dodgy-looking bits of software which claim to recover keys but as it happens a few days earlier I had been contacted by AIDA64 to see if I wanted a media license to use their program for future reviews and I'd said yes please. So 2 clicks later, I had my product key! Too easy. Now for install media, or more accurately some kind of installation file I can download. The key I have is for "Office 2010 Professional Plus" which sounds like it might be a bit strange so I hunted around on Microsoft's website trying to find media - just as I'm writing this now I realise a Google search turns up much more useful info. Anyway, that led me to this page which recommends entering your key into this page which will verify it and give you a link to download media. Except it just gave me about 3 different errors and kept insisting I talk to online support, which I figured meant the Professional Plus version was a bit weird or something. So eventually I gave up and fired up the online support thing, they responded quickly and had me send them the product key in an rtf file. They confirmed it was fine and got me to try again, same error. Now here's the odd bit. The support droid asked if she could connect to my PC to help me solve the problem. I wasn't super keen on that but given this is pretty much a fresh installed PC I kinda had nothing to lose and had already spent a couple of hours trying to get this working so I said OK. I had to go through the process of approving some applet install and entering her technician ID and blah blah blah. Then she was connected to my desktop from remote. So, at this point I bet you're wondering what arcane Microsoft support engineer wizardry she whipped out from her big bag of secret Microsoft tools, right? Some kind of specialised knowledge that only the most highly-qualfied engineers dare attempt, and certainly cannot be trusted to the likes of me, a lowly customer. Sure. What she did was.. OPEN A NEW BROWSER TAB AND DOWNLOAD A COPY OF THE FILE FROM WAYBACK MACHINE. In Chrome! Not even in Edge! Here's the URL, but don't click it unless you want 650MB of Office 2010 install file: http://web.archive.org/web/20121031...italrivercontent.net/office2010/X16-32250.exe That was going to take a little while, so I asked her in the chat window if all she was going to do was enter the product ID when that file finished downloading, and she said yes. So I thanked her, booted her off, deleted the remote applet thing, entered the product key when the file finished downloading and now I have Office 2010 on my new laptop. Actually I spun up an EC2 box on AWS, wgetted the file to there, uploaded it to an s3 bucket so I always have a copy of it and downloaded it to my PC from there, partly because that whole process took less time than it was going to take to download directly, and partly because I kinda felt like flexing my nerd muscles after such a tech-support travesty. Anyway. Seemed strange but hopefully useful to those with the same requirement in future.