1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to laptop only as my main computer, what options for storage

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by drunkntigr, May 26, 2019.

1. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

I'm traveling a lot now and most of my work is done on the laptop.

Bulk of work is excel and e-mail and finance software, so not creative.

I have a powerful desktop PC I build myself, I still want to be able to easily access the files without much lag.

Should I just keep the desktop and have it running 24/7 and share the hard drives with the files or should I take the hard drives out and put them in a nas (about 6 2-3TB hard drives).

Seems Windows 10 doesn't like sharing the whole hard drives on the network and I used both a lenovo and a macbook.

What are my options, and if NAS, what is the go to now and moderately priced? I have an old synology 214se and it is slow AF and the OS is horrible and has way too many confusing options.

2. money_killer

money_killer Member

i run a qnap ts451 no issues serves my needs.

Jazper likes this.
  3. romanx

romanx Member

Shift your excel, email and finance files into Onedrive. Stuff you're accessing regularly.

Put whatever else you have on either pc or nas, because you sure as sh*t don't need 12TB+ for excel files...

zeggie likes this.
  4. NSanity

NSanity Member

I just put a 2TB Samsung NVME M2 drive in my laptop.

I still have my nas though, and a VPN back home.

5. sanjay

sanjay Member

This. OneDrive is amazing and the online versions of Word, Excel etc shit all over their Google competitors (plus it is way easier to load up the docs in full-Office if you need the basic but asinine things that neither of them support).

Might be worth getting an Office 365 subscription too, if also for the extra OneDrive storage.

zeggie likes this.
  6. romanx

romanx Member

I have a subscription for home, that puts onedrive across both my desktop and laptop, office, and I can access those files on the work pc via the web browser. And I have the onenote app on my phone so I can add tid-bits into there as I need to.

We're using it more for clients at work, giving them team drives and that allows them to give some access to certain folders via one drive as well. Works well for a few who are based across multiple locations and mobile, and making the terminal servers redundant (almost).

7. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

But online version of office need an office 365 subscription don't we?

We use free version of google drive around the office

8. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

And google business for email hosting or whatever they call it these days, google aps for work?

Though something about web based sheets and docs just doesn't make it seem like the real deal.

Using google drive but as always can be sync issues here and there, in both windows and mac. onedrive perform any better? might as well get an office 365 home subscription.

9. issa2006

issa2006 Member

Data storage can die any time.

Do backup at least 1 a week.
    Id recommended 2 usb good qualty sticks.

1 first stick

Setup a backup (free software) so you click on desktop icon. It backup files to usb stick.

Then get a small 2 nd stick, (metal cosair) put it on keyring.

Backup at least 1 a week rotating sticks.

If you get notebook stolen, you have a copy on keyring (buz lunch n notebook in car.. Bang theft).

Also a 2nd stick protect you from. Encryption virus/malware.. (incase you backup infected files to stick).

Also if 1 stick dies, you csn use other while you get to buy new one.

The bonus of offline backup.. You can set it up to keep old documents thst you deleted on pc. But you can find them on stick.

Dropbox good too.

Warning on mnve in notebook...

Better notebook that use a m. 2 in thrm also have a heatsink on them.

If you just slap one on.. It can and will overheat, in summer, and will die (iv seen this happen with a 960evo) in a notebook.

(pull out older sata hdd, put in a m. 2 in slot. No heatsink..

A safer bet would have been the cooler sata 860 evo m. 2.

Iv also had a 2tb sshd overheat and die in summer in a old alienware mx11.. Too.

(it was on desk in house when it overheated overnight n died).. Got to 98 .. Hdd disappointed, let notebook cool down for 12 hours, it reapearred.. Work for 1 month, then permanently died.. (warranty).

I had a 950 nmve die (overheated) under a 980ti on a x99. Case.

Now i put on heatsink on them.. And blow so. Air over them.

A notebook insides can get toasty.. Much more than a desktop.

You want reliably most if its for work.

Mace likes this.
  10. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Sounds like cloud is the way to go, there are plenty of options out there, only issue is there is an ongoing cost associated, which is fair considering that you're using someone else's bandwidth and storage space.

If you don't like cloud or don't want to roll your own, then a NAS of some description with either a VPN or App that allows remote access is probably your next option. Most NASes these days will have either the ability to run a VPN server directly, or at least have an App of some sort which will allow you to access files from outside home.

11. JaCe88

JaCe88 Member

Depending on how much data you have, OneDrive might be a good fit with Office 365 (especially if you needed Office anyway!). You can even set your old NAS to create a weekly download of your OneDrive if you are worried you might lose internet access one day or something.

Depending if you need access to everything all the time, you may need a larger drive for your laptop. I put a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo+ in my laptop so I could mirror my whole OneDrive but given a lot of it was not needed all the time, I ended up not mirroring my archive folders (because I probably don't need access to my high school notes now that it's been over ten years since my HSC? nor do I need my high school photos!) and just kept the space 'flexible' for Steam :)

(or you could just save the money and get a 1TB m.2 SSD and be selective in what you mirror on upfront)

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"There's something about using an OS and not flipping ones and zeros inside a CPU that doesn't make it seem like the real deal".

It's just software, friend. Layers of abstraction.

13. JaCe88

JaCe88 Member

It's all in the mind. Once you get past your initial concern with it, it'll become second nature and you'll wonder why more people don't move to the cloud!

14. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

It's all the same. The only difference is web-based is on a dedicated host and accessible on any device. Think back to server and dumb terminal concept, because that's what it is.

15. mtma

mtma Member

I had been using Excel online in more recent times, having decided the value of the O365 sub wasn't there given the online versions of the software do most of what I needed.

But Excel online turned out to be really thin on the data analysis features I use Excel for. Things like naming cells (like what? this isn't an asinine feature!) as well as auto trending and fitting et cetera. were not available or limited in functionality.

I would consider it to need work before reaching professional contender status, but it's free for now so really...

Google sheets I'm pretty sure names cells, but I'm not sure about how good its other functions were as I only used it as an information sharing tool in the past.

Nonetheless it wasn't impossible, I brought the good old $ still works.

16. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

been trialing all, it seems onedrive doesn't download all the files locally to your computer unlike google drive does - is this true or am i not doing one of the settings right?

google drive you can set where you want the google drive folder to be in windows 10, with one drive it all seems to be controlled by the built in app and it just seems to store files you access locally where it pleases - not sure why it deems to store downloades as a onedrive sub folder in the windows download folder?

not sure why dropbox is so expensive too....

17. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

We use Sharepoint on Onedrive at work and it certainly does keep copies locally, have been able to access them when the internet has been down. Not sure what you need to change though, sorry.

18. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Worked it out. So apparently microsoft have a few onedrive products, the non business ones:

Included in Windows 10
    "OneDrive by Microsoft corporation" is the Window Store app version included on windows 10 and runs as a program where you can only view your onedrive files, if you want to edit you have to 'download' them to a local focal

Not included
    "Microsoft OneDrive" is the one that can store files locally (option to keep them offline or online and is like google drive) this is not installed natively on windows 10. This is the one that is actually useful.

here's the info link https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-a645c151f2ba#ID0EAACAAA=Which_app_do_I_have?

But honestly, really microsoft? Get a UX designer lol.

I guess this is why niche cloud storage software companies still exist.

19. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

:lol: don't see why that would be confusing....

20. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

No wonder they missed out on doing android...