Moving to mirrorless... (5D vs XT1/A7R2)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Modafroman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Hey all, long time no speak!

So I've been threatening to ditch the 5D3 for years. It just doesn't seem to fit with what I want/need any more. It's just too big, bulky and heavy. Every time I take it out and use it, it frustrates me how big and bulky and heavy it is, but it is extremely useful being so tough and well built (like a tank!), and the images coming out of it are always just so freaking good! Definitely a love hate relationship. I do have the X100s that gets a lot more use, but that has its ups and downs, mainly AF being useless haha.

So with the release of the A7R2, it has sparked me to think about moving away from DSLRs and into mirrorless. It seemed to promise so much, high res, high sensitivity, ability to adapt DSLR lenses with native AF speed etc etc. it would be awesome to use all my canon lenses, makes swapping systems a lot easier. I guess the question is, has it lived up its promises, and what experiences have people had moving to a mirrorless set up? It's either the A7r2 or XT1 that I'm looking now at, I'm a fan of both companies.

So yea, thoughts/opinions/experiences? Cheers :)

2. 13atman

13atman Member

[​IMG]

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i havent moved mirrorless yet (original a7r on its way though), but do spend a lot of time on the Sony forums.

General consensus is that yes its a very good camera overall.
    The Dynamic range will blow your mind coming from a canon.
    IBIS will help a lot if you handheld shoot in low light.
    Obviously lots of megapixels for detail and cropping.

The bad:
    you may have mixed experiences with the AF speed of your canon lenses, i've seen good and bad reports
    battery life will suck
    its not a sports camera, high speed continuous AF will be below the Canon.

Big question is what do you actually like to shoot?

4. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Haha if only :p Something about being a grownup now and money being on trees or some such nonsense. If I could have a 5D3, A7R2, XT1, X100s, RX100m4 AND GoPro, that'd prime haha.

Yea true. I'm well aware of how terrible the battery life on mirrorless is, i'd be lucky to get 150 shots out of the X100s. I'm not expecting the A7R2 to have AF like a native canon, but if they're even reasonably usable that'd be awesome and save a lot of the hassle of moving systems. The fuji lens lineup is substantially better, but dat fullframe and resolution. I dunno, everyone always raves about the 16mpx xtrans fuji sensor, but i've never really been wowed by it, high iso shots always have that funny noise reduced plasticy kind of look about it.

These days i'm mostly just using it as a general camera, with a bit of travel (local/overseas), street and landscapes as well. So i'm not shooting sports, and i'm not hardcore landscapes or portraits etc. My needs are much more for a general, all in one, portable camera.

:o

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Do it, you have nothing to lose.. gives you a new toy to play with and you can always go back if you dont like it.

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

agreed, i'd jump on it and see what you think.
    The a7r is pretty hot right now so you'd even be able to onsell it with minor loss in cash if you had to.

i wouldnt settle for a fuji camera for anything you want really good IQ out of, but maybe i'm an apsc/FF snob :Pirate:

7. Xang

Xang Member

Fuji files are outstanding for sharpness, colour & DR.

ISO starts to fall off around 1600, a FF camera will obviously win out here.

8. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

About 18 months ago I made the switch from 5d3 to X-T1. Haven't looked back, I'm able to take the camera out a lot of places I wouldn't have taken the 5D, image quality is honestly as good or superior (at lower ISO). I can't fault the Fuji lenses, they are seriously some of the best lenses I've ever used, no real surprise considering the glass Fujinon make for the video world.

AF is still not as good as the top DSLRs but other than that I feel there really isn't anything I can't do now that I could before. been so much happier in general since the upgrade.

If you have any specific questions fire away

9. RnR

RnR Member

Bonus for Fuji is their firmware support. Old gear still keeps getting updated.

10. RichoB

RichoB Member

I moved from Canon to Fuji and never looked back, so there's some bias in my reply! :D

I was almost tempted by the a7, until I played with a friends kit and realised you still need to put heavy and expensive FF glass in front of the compact a7 body.

One of the reasons I love the Fuji system is the size and weight of the lenses. They still take an amazing image but you don't break your back carrying a bag with a body and a handful of lenses. That is if you use a bag - many times I've just thrown the small primes in my pockets and hand carried the body and had a great experience.

Things may have changed a bit, but last time I played with an a7 kit I realised how much that FF glass changes the weight of the kit.

Just something to keep in mind, either way both systems are amazing.

11. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Technically, you don't "need" to put put heavy and expensive glass when shooting FF.

The reality however is that manufacturers don't put out lenses for every conceivable budget and performance level. So it's up to us to choose a system that fits our needs best.

12. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

As a Sony user, you won't be found wanting from an IQ standpoint.

The biggest adjustments will be ergonomics and battery life. The 5D is chunky but I do miss the superior handling as the A7II can feel a little cramped at times. You get used to it of course, but the smaller body plus mediocre menu system won't be as comfortable as what you're used to.

On the other hand, an A7 + 55/1.8 combo is seriously killer in terms of IQ, size and weight.

13. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I have a 5D2 and a Fuji X-T1 and my biggest bug bear with the Fuji is that it seems to get the auto WB wrong an annoying amount of time ... definite colour shifts in a lot of shots..

When it gets it right ,it's amazing, but it gets it wrong a lot more often than the canon does.

14. perz

perz Member

Had the chance to move from my D610 over to an a7ii but I just couldn't do it.

IF I only took the camera out for say travelling and just your casual camera then sure, I would've in a heartbeat but alas, I use it for parties and gigs where the D610 wins out for me. :upset:

My main gripe is the lack of the second sd card + horrendous battery.
    Once they fix those two things, I'll most likely invest in the system.

15. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Seriously thinking about moving to an A7R II at the moment as well. I'd probably sell off all my Canon gear (5D2 + lenses), as from what I've read AF with the adapter is very hit and miss.

I could probably make do with the Sony FE 16-35 f4 for the time being (I pretty much only do landscapes these days), so would probably get that at the same time. I presume Zeiss will continue to release some attractive lenses for it (hopefully some more wide primes).

TBH, the only thing stopping me at the moment is the comfort zone factor - having used Canon for so long, it's a bit of a mindset change.

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

the DR will blow your mind and yeah the zeiss stuff is nice.
    They are releasing a few more wide primes i believe which i'll probably contemplate for my A7R

For me it wasnt a huge shift, already used to the menu's and get to use my old glass with Sony adapter.

I hear some of the Canon glass is pretty snappy depending on what you have exactly, may be worthwhile keeping some after testing.
    Lose out on niceties like eye-AF etc though, not a big deal for landscapes

17. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

But X-T1 is APS-C..

I am looking at doing the exact same thing at the moment, Fuji for me I think will be the one I am looking at, I have sold the 5D3 a while ago now, and looking for my replacement, Fuji has cash back deal at the moment ($100 on body and $200 on X lenses) so that has pushed me over the line.

18. mrthong

mrthong Member

Go xt1 or xt10 if you're on a budget. There is not a big range of lens for Sony cameras unless you adapt. Majority of the Sony lens are expensive as well :'(

19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Ha, i really should read more!

Lens range is expanding but yea a bit limited, thankfully those that you can get are pretty outstanding.
    You'll find any fullframe OEM/good quality glass is pretty expensive too :)

20. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

This is the thing the guy at Ted's couldn't understand. He was really trying to push his Sony agenda on me. Which I was willing to listen to, as I'm curious.

So after the cash back deal ($300 back), I can get an X-T1 for $1350, with a 18-55mm f/2.8-4 OIS lens..

And hes trying to push me down the a7 route "because there are awesome specials on it and the X-T1 is 'old' tech", I'm thinking "sweet, so what prices?"

$1300 for just the body.

"Oh wow is that for the MKII?" - I asked very optimistically

"No..." - now I'm not sure what planet you have come from, but an a7r is not newer than a x-t1 and certainly is not even in the same price range at the moment, why would you bother telling me this, the a7 will need at least 1K of lens on it to make it comparable.

Then proceeded to tell me about the awesome 5 year pack they can offer me.. LOOOOOLLLLLL... get out mate, no wonder brick and mortar are struggling.

I understand the up-sell, but when I am correcting staff that 'work' at a camera shop then they are not doing their jobs correctly.

He did how ever say that the Sony with lenses on it from an adapter are super quick for focus and IQ was just as good.

I find this hard to that, every adapter I've used, there is Always something lost in translation, be it weird AF issues, forward focusing, or IQ loss. Can anyone report on personal experience?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015