1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to mirrorless... (5D vs XT1/A7R2)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Modafroman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Xang

Xang Member

Bet poor Simon earned his wage yesterday afternoon :p

2. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

He was a good sport! It's funny because he has the exact same setup as me (5D3+X100s).

Showed me a guys website who works for them, does travel photography with a Fuji XT1 and X100 set up, wish I could remember what his name was!

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

depends what you want i guess...
    I like the Sony as it has the best IQ, and gives you options
    e.g. load up with big primes/zooms when you dont mind carrying more gear, or snap on a small prime for walkaround usage.

4. RnR

RnR Member

m43 and fujiland gives you the same options. IQ is Sony's only advantage. And then if you are just a hobbyist how much IQ is enough?

5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yeah of course the smaller sensor stuff gives the same option, hence the "and"

As far as IQ, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OF IT! :lol:

6. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

At the end of the day all three systems require 'lugging around'.

Therefore, I would personally consider true compact options like an RX100 or RX10.

7. RnR

RnR Member

lol :D

I have to admit an A7s would suit me fine. I have a few old pieces of slr glass. Cropped sensors kinda work, but also kinda don't.

8. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

All the IQs!

Yea for sure. Honestly, all four setups will give pretty much very similar results, at the end of the day. It's really just what compromises i'm willing to make.

I think I'm leaning towards just sticking with the 5D3 + X100s setup, until the next generation. Just going to deal with the stupid weight and size of the 5D3, it's the easiest and cheapest option since I already have everything I need.

Might get myself the TCL-X100 and WCL-X100 to give different focal lengths on the X100s.

9. lionman

lionman Member

I moved from 5D2 to XT1 when the Fuji was launched. No regrets. Fuji have a great system with the X mount. Lenses are just beautiful.

Sony have an edge in IQ but they didn't have the lenses I wanted when the A7 launched (similar time to the XT1) and still don't really. In 95% of scenarios then difference in IQ negligible to me.

I bought a second hand XE1 for penuts to and its also great, with the slow AF being its only real downside. Plenty of situations that doesn't matter so it still gets plenty of use.

There are two main points with a move to Fuji from canon which are worth noting. One is the control layout is very different. A DSLR is really designed for quick adjustments while the camera is to your eye. With a Fuji that be achieved but it lends itself more to adjusting at your chest then raising the camera and shooting.

Second is the size. A DSLR is big and shaped for the hand. A XT1 is small in comparison and you can't hold it the same way. At first I bought the vertical grip but I have found I have gotten used to the smaller size now and use the grip less often.

These are just a couple of things I have noticed. YMMV. I love all my Fujis. I just wish I could afford more of their lenses!

10. BGH

BGH Member

Reviews seem pretty mixed as to how much AF improvement was gained from the v4 firmware update to the XT1.

Any real world users care to offer their opinion of the latest firmware?

11. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Ok so I gone and left all my Canon bodies behind.

With the XT10 (I don't have a XT1 body to test right now), I think the A7RII with metabones III and 24-105 F4 IS Canon, focuses just slightly behind an XT10 with a 18-55. Neither are slow in good light, about on par with a 6D. The sony with native FE glass is faster.

12. triggerfishman

triggerfishman Member

I have a XT1 body along with a 18-55, 23mm, 56mm and a 50-140mm.

Focus is very snappy. I shot a wedding with a 56mm and it handled it well. The 50-140mm is the fastest to autofocus though :)

Focus is quite lens dependent on the Fuji XT1 system. This is definetely not a spray and pray camera ;)

Firmware 4.0 does improve focus in single point focus speeds significantly on the 18-55 lens. Before that I was on V3 with this lens.

13. lionman

lionman Member

It's certainly improved.

Performance is a bit snappier. Tracking is still not that useble compared to a DSLR. It works but you wouldn't want to rely on it. Still not a sports camera. For slow moving subjects relative to the frame its decent. I don't really have any lenses that would make use of it though like a longer zoom lens.

The user experience over all with the AF though is much improved. Much better low light focusing. A lot less hunting. Less OOF shots.

14. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

So, bit of an update. Just got back from a trip to Canada/USA. Took both the 5D3+24-105mm+17-40mm and the X100S+19mm+33mm adapters.

Ended up using the X100s *much* more. Only took the 5D3 out on 2 days, where as I took the X100s out 17 days (the rest of the trip). It's just much more portable, easy to handle, lighter and I could stuff it underneath my jacket, even with both adapters in my pockets, and it would hang just fine around my neck all day. The 5D3 is just unwieldy in comparison.

I must say though, i'm actually pretty disappointed in the photos from the X100s. The 5D3 files just have a much better 'look' about them in general. I think it's just a combination of the full frame DoF, colours, noise performance and sharpness.

I don't think the X100s lens is very sharp, until you stop it down to like f5.6-f8, and noise performance from the sensor is pretty poor, ISO3200 looks shit, especially if the lens is at F2-2.8, you just get this blurry, noisy shitty image. Even more disappointing since ISO3200 = actual ISO1600 on the fujis. In comparison, you can shoot the 5D3 at ISO6400 erry day and get much more usable files, even with the F4 lenses.

The X100s files also have a much more 'snapshot' look about them, OOC. I'm sure it's the fact that it's an APS-C sensor, and whether processing will make them better, IDK. It's funny because everyone raves about the fuji OOC jpegs... meh?

I will say that the adapters did breath life into it, I enjoy the camera much more with the 33mm adapter, that field of view works a lot more to me than 23mm.

The other thing is, everything about the X100s is slow. It's slow to focus, it's slow to take photos, it's slow to switch the viewfinder on, it's slow to review photos, it's slow to change settings, it's slow to operate the menus, it's just slow. Some people might like that, it makes them think about the photos they take etc, but that really doesn't work for the style of photography I do these days (travel/day to day).

So now i'm torn and don't know what to do. Going on another trip to SE Asia in a month or so. Not sure whether to grin and bear it with the 5D3 size/weight (maybe getting a new strap might help, like one of those peak designs sliders?) and the X100s+Adapters. Or if I should look at something like the new XPro2, hope that the new sensor is better, hope that the interchangable lenses helps a bit, and deal with the APSC-ness? Or the Sony?

IDK.

:o

15. Digit

Digit Member

Rent the Sony over a weekend, with a metabones and maybe the 55 zeiss, go for a walk or three and see how you like it.

16. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Just do what I did. Make the jump to Sony already. Get it with a metabones adaptor, and use your Canon lenses first, and then get native E mount a week in so that you can actually have a small kit.

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I'd also go straight to an a7 series body (I have for my general purpose shooting - keep my a-mount Sony's for specific purposes)

18. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

Try an a6000

19. Xang

Xang Member

Oh wow. The FF body outperformed the X100s, but the X100s was lighter and easier to carry. Who knew?

How is this 7 pages already?

20. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

it's the lenses/colours/ergonomics that complicate things

and although nobody here will admit it because they are all men who hunt bears naked in the snowy mountains, it's also the styling of the fuji cameras :)