Moving to mirrorless... (5D vs XT1/A7R2)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Modafroman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. herzeg

herzeg Member

Lament les pixel-peepelage... :tongue:

2. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Sounds like you want Full Frame without the weight. The Sony A7 series camera's are the closest to offering this.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

If anyone wants to trade up/down from a 7D2 to a X-T1, throw me a line ...

4. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

he will find the same thing with sony a7 ... images look dull and you need to put them through lightroom to make them pop .. thats what i've found. i think thats normal for sony.

5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yep the Sony Raw files are very neutral, gives most latitude for post.

The A7's Jpeg engine isnt bad (better than earlier sonys) but i havent compared against other makers

6. lionman

lionman Member

The X-Pro2 looks like another decent option for those considering the move away from DSLR. New 24MP xtrans sensor looks pretty nice.

7. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Soooo still having this internal debate in my head.

:lol:

I think for the meantime I will keep the 5D3, sunk cost and all, still gets a bit of use every now and then, so eh.

Tossing up whether I upgrade my X100S to the new X100F, or sell it and get an XT2 kit, or look at the Canon M5 etc.

The three main features on the X100F is the new sensor, improved AF and funnily enough, the new adapters having electronic contacts. My three main bug bears, average high iso performance, slow AF performance and having to manually choose which adapter I have - heaps of shots from my last trip had funny distortion because I forgot to switch on the correction. :lol::o

But then it wouldn't be much more to get an XT-2 kit and could try out whether it makes sense to change to that full time and sell the 5D3. Or try out the Canon M5 and could keep my current lenses etc.

Thoughts?

8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I guess it come down a bit to what you're shooting and what your hoping to get.
    the XT-2 is getting awesome reviews, but may be overkill if you dont need the AF system etc. I havent read much about the others beyond a quick handson that the CamerastoreTV guys did.

I know the fuji glass is good (and you'll want the fast aperture stuff if shooting in low light or want that DOF)

M5 looks good but nothing too groundbreaking

9. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

I'm having the same thoughts right now re going X100s to X100f; mostly for the autofocus though - I feel like the S has slowed down a lot recently but maybe I was never paying attention? It's really bad in poor light.

Having said that, the numbers on the F's press release for AF are exactly the same in terms of speed as the S... I'm sure the new sensor and processor will mean it's quicker but I did read it's not as fast as the XT-2/20 still. I'm gonna have to test it out in person which might be a pain if stock levels aren't great.

I also got my X100s for around 1200 bucks when it first came out so the upped price for the F has been making me ponder the XT-20 as I'm not yet ready to sell the Nikon kit. But not sure about having 2 sets of lenses all side by side. I'd be happy enough to switch to Fuji everything if they had a faster flash sync (I abuse Hypersync for skateboarding etc.).

I read in amongst the disappointment of the GFX not having leaf shutter lenses that Fuji didn't want to bother as instant-read sensors are apparently just around the corner - the implication is that these would enable flash sync at any speed (if your flash is fast enough). If this turns out to be true, I'll move to full Fuji then I reckon.

10. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Sony a6500 + Sigma MC-11... It's pretty darn good.

11. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Soooo yep still having this debate haha. I have a very love hate relationship with my X100S, love the size and portability, the mechanical controls and feel etc, hate the usability of it (slow operation, slow AF, manually having to enable the conversation lenses etc etc), and the fact that half the time the photos are awesome, but half the time they're very lacklustre. Pretty frustrating.

Still considering whether it's worth selling up to the X100F, or looking at what my other options are.

The other thing I have considered with the release of the A7RIII is whether I could sell both my Canon and Fuji kits and consolidate into one system. I have no doubt the IQ of the A7RIII would beat the pants off Canon, so I guess the question is would the Sony body with a small lens like one of the 28/35/50mm primes would be small enough and comparable to the X100S. That would give me the best of both worlds!

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?

12. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Can't tell too much about the primes but the A7RIII supposedly does have improved AF from the A9 and the Eye AF / Face Tracking / Wider focus points on the sensor.

Reviews on youtube should give you a good idea on whether if primes can work. I think they would. Maybe an idea to go to a store to try it out.

13. Xang

Xang Member

The Sony will be better.

The Fuji will be smaller.

lonewolf1983 likes this.
  14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

^^^ nailed it