Moving to the Dark side // Or finally seen the light

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Ripper, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Ripper

Ripper Member

Ok -- I've decided it's time to retire my Soyo Sy-6BA+III mobo with my P3 600E @ 852Mhz. The fact that my system locks up when trying to copy a file to floppy, despite numerous clean installs of WinME and Win2K and a new floppy and cable, has driven me to this (although I can copy fine from DOS -- wierd).

Anyway -- I've decided to go AMD T-Bird (1.2GHz) and for now forget DDR-based mobo's as I would like to re-use my Micron CL-2 RAM. Here's my question. Thought I'd go with the KT-133A chipset-based offerings and have narrowed it down to 3. Which do you recommend and what are your experiences on the following mobo's?

IWill KK-266R, Epox 8KTA3, and last but not least Asus A7V-133

Leaning towards the IWill with RAID, but the Asus keeps calling me. The Epox is very intriguing due to price and feature-set, but the others offer 1MHz increments in O/C'ing.

Also -- any compelling reasons whay I should go with an 815EP-based product ala Asus Cusl2 "Black Pearl" or IWill BD-133u?

I will be moving my P3 600E to my Asus P3V4X and taking the C600E (at 900MHz) to another system -- so I will still be an avid P3V4X owner!! :)

Any input would be most appreciated.

Moderators -- please move if required -- although I would like my P3V4X/Via friends to respond and this seems to be their new "hang-out"

Last edited: Jul 23, 2001
  2. Nemesis

Nemesis Member

ripper,

i am in roughly the same boat man, i am planning on turning to the other side :). I Currently own a P3V4X with a P3 650 @ 866, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD GeForce2 MX, SB Live, 17inch Acer 77c etc etc, but i am looking for something a little more "snappier" and something that will provide a little more of an "overclocking challenge" :D

i am probably going to be getting a 1.2 Ghz 266FSB AXIA Athlon
    a Epox 8kt7a+ with RAID (i think thats what its called) - so im gonna go DDR
    512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM
    2x 30GB HDD Seagate Barricuda 3 7200rpm (for RAID)
    16x Pioneer Slot-load DVD
    12x10x32 Mitsubishi Burner (has BURNPROOF ;) )
    Leadtek GeForce2 Pro 32 Meg
    19 inch Acer p911 Monitor
    10/100 net. card
    and a 300watt Full Tower case

I fi were you, i would decide if you were ever planning on using RAID - if not - get the asus, you can always get an addin card later (they are only $120 or so), but if you want RAID straight away - grab the Iwill :cool:

3. MacroP

MacroP Member

I've just done the same thing last week. What board I got was an Epox 8KTA3+Pro from gamedude for $250 and a 1.33G TB.

This board is awesome IMHO. This is the pro version which has 1MHz increments up to 180MHz. Yep thats right-180MHz. You can set the CPU core voltage up 0.4V above default too. VIO and AGP voltages can be changed to extreme values as well.
    Has Raid aswell (+ versions), 4 USB's,6 PCI,1 ISA,4 DIMM sockets
    and a cool AGP card clip.
    There are plenty of tweaks in the BIOS. There is only a few jumpers on the board but these are never touched.
    Excellent bang for buck if can wait a week for delivery though I'm in WA.

Edit.... Whoops. Ripper, I just realised you are in the US. Should be able to get this board pretty cheap over there among others.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2001
  4. Nemesis

Nemesis Member

:)

that is very good to hear, as that is the board i am looking to get, but i will probably only get the 1.2 gig athlon, 19 inch monitors, 60Gig worth of HDD and 512 MB DDR ram, you gotta sacrifice something ;)

5. runequest2

runequest2 Member

why not get the ASUS A7V133 and use the built in raid promise controller?? why would you need an addin card?

with my A7V133 and 1.2 Ghz i can overclock it to 1.37 Ghz using the retail heatsink/fan and default voltage although I only use it everyday at 1.33 Ghz. so i would consider it as a good choice for overclocking.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2001
  6. Nemesis

Nemesis Member

Doh !

/me didnt realise the ASUS AV7133 has RAID :rolleyes:

7. thematrix

thematrix Member

I've read that the Iwill kk266 board and A7v133 are top boards amongst the KT133a chipset. Also, for the price, the Epox 8KTA3 is a deal and a pretty stable board. Personally, if I had to upgrade from my MSI K7Tpro2a, I'd go with the Iwill. However, since DDR chipsets are getting more mature, I'm thinking of moving in that direction. Of course, I've got to finish playing with my dualie board. hehehe:p I'm thinking of "dumping" my p3v4x for a DDR board. :D

8. Addict4

Addict4 Member

If I was switching to the darkside yeah go DDR at least you will prolly be able to upgrade.