1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Mrs PoMo's Eggplant Parmigiana (by request)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by PostModern, Sep 18, 2002.

1. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Mrs PoMo's Eggplant Parmigiana

Notes/description
    Layers of eggplant, mozarella cheese, tomato sauce and basil leaves - baked.

My reward or treat for things well done, babies conceived and Valentine's Day :)

Caution: Time consuming (in fact, the antithesis of the September Cook-Off).
    Caution: Extremely delicious.
    Caution: You will cook this more than once and it'll taste different every time.

Ingredients Required

2-3 Medium/Large Aubergines (Eggplant)
    1Kg Very Ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes.
    Olive Oil - lots
    Salt - lots
    Garlic 4 cloves (or more :))
    Fresh Basil. (Dried will NOT do)
    1Kg Mozarella Cheese (knobs, NOT grated)
    1 bottle of red wine for the chef (this takes ages)

Equipment Required
    Paper towels. Lots.
    Many Dinner plates.
    Frypans - large and/or several
    Baking dish
    Butter knife
    Sharp knife
    Sauce pan

Instructions

Eggplant Slicing and prep

1. Slice aubergines into 12mm thick rings.
    2. Sprinkle all cut surfaces liberally with salt.
    3. Spread the salted aubergine slices on the dinner plates. Stack the plates and place an empty plate on the top. Turn the stack over (carefully) and lay on an angle on your sink's draining board. Placing one end on a shot glass should provide enough of an angle. This will allow the bitter juices of the eggplant to be drawn out by the salt and drain away. Leave them this way for at least an hour. You can leave it draining while preparing the tomato sauce.

Upon completion of this task, open the wine bottle. Never before.

Sauce
    1. Peel the tomatoes. I (PoMo) find this is best done by plunging them into boiling water then retrieving them with a spoon and peeling them with a butter knife once the skins are soft. Mrs PoMo only goes to this trouble if I've been extra good. ;)

2. Combine the tomatoes, 1/4 cup of Olive Oil and 4 cloves of crushed garlic in a saucepan. You may need more or less than the 1Kg of tomatoes, depending on how many aubergines you have, how thickly/thinly you slice them and how deep vs high your baking dish is etc etc etc... it's an art, but the ratio of 1/4 cup Oil to 1Kg tomatoes is golden.

3. Break up the toms with a wooden spoon while heating over a medium heat. Once boiling reduce to a low simmer and leave simmering for at least 1/2 an hour. Not only does this make the sauce taste great, the inviting aroma that fills your house will raise the level of expectation and stimulate the apetites of everyone in the house :)

If you've timed it right, peeling the tomatos and setting the sauce simmering should have taken half an hour. Relax with a glass of wine while slicing the mozarella into 10-12mm thick slices. The amount of cheese you'll need will of course vary with the amount of eggplant you are using. Also in this time, you can wash and pick the leaves off the bunch of basil.

Cooking the Eggplant

One hour after setting the plate tower on the draining board, you can remove the plates one at a time and remove the squished and salty eggplant slices. Pop the plates in your dishwasher if you need them for serving (alternatively, if you are unspoiled, hand wash them while the dish bakes).

Wash the slices thoroughly to remove all of the salt. Dry the slices with paper towel or clean (preferably new) tea towels.

Heat up as many frypans as you have on the stove and give each of them a liberal coating of olive oil. Fry all of the eggplant until it is soft and golden brown, turning once only. Drink some wine while this goes on. It takes a while. As each batch comes out of the pan(s), place them on several folds of paper towels on plates. Layer towels and eggplant slices. Most of the oil will soak into the towels but it shouldn't really worry you too much if it does all come out, coz olive oil is yummy :)

Baking
    Check that you have ready:
    - Fried slices of Eggplant
    - Big batch of tomato sauce
    - Enough slices of mozarrella
    - lots of basil leaves
    - baking dish
    - preheated oven 200ÂșC

Cover the bottom of the dish in a layer of sauce.
    Add a layer of Eggplant
    Layer of basil leaves (not a complete blanket, about 2 leaves per eggplant slice)
    Layer of cheese
    Layer of sauce etc
    Finish with a layer of cheese and decorate the top with a pattern of Basil Leaves.

The resultant layers should look like this:
    Code:
         + +
    \==========/            = Cheese
     |+ + + + +|    	+ Basil Leaves
     |^^^^^^^^^|            ^ Eggplant  
     |~~~~~~~~~|            ~ Sauce
     |=========|
     | + +  + +|
     |^^^^^^^^^|
     \~~~~~~~~~/
      ---------

(not to scale :p)

Bake for 20 mins (assuming the sauce is still hot when you're layering, longer if not) or until the top layer of cheese is all melted.

Serve with a nice salad (such as smoked cheese, blueberries, small-leafed lettuce and tossed with raspberry viniagrette or whatever you like) and some crusty bread. Another bottle of red should also be opened.

Options

You can cook the tomato sauce ahead of time and have it ready to go. You could doll up the sauce with herbs or wine or what have you (if you were, say, using tinned toms). Also a jar of ready made pasta sauce can be used, like Paul Newman's stuff. If you were hard-pressed, you could, I suppose, use grated mozarella, but the texture wouldn't be right.

Garlic quantity is up to you. Mrs PoMo reckons 4 large cloves, no more. I'd probably ruin the whole dish by using lots lots more. :)

PS: Mrs PoMo also wants me to stress that it is my (PoMo's) idea to drink a whole bottle of red while cooking and that she never has more than one glass... A glass what? I ask :D

Last edited: Sep 18, 2002
  2. HoldenAngel

HoldenAngel Member

There is only one word for this recipe - fabulous!! I made this for dinner last night and I will definatly be making it again. Here is how it turned out:
    [​IMG]

I was surprised at how easy it was to make, just time consuming. Oh and the advice of the bottle of red wine is a gem. I had some Brown Brothers Dolcetto while making everything and it definatly hits the spot.

Thanks a million for taking the time out to write up this recipe!

3. OP
    OP
    PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Damn nice, ain't it? With simple foods like this, the quality and freshness of the ingredients will make all the difference. If you have nice home-grown, vine ripened tomatoes, young, fresh aubergines and freshly picked basil grown in a sunny position in rich soil.... *wipes drool* ... it will taste superb! Good Olive oil and a nice cheese help too.

I'm glad you liked it HoldenAngel. I'll let the Mrs know.

4. ShroomKing

ShroomKing Member

*I hereby resurrect this thread*

I've a nice eggplant plant growing in my veggie garden ...
    About four big eggplants ...
    I've been treating it with care ...
    Lots of water, worm castings, touch of dynamic lifter, Miracle Grow, water crystals, no pesticides ...

Looking forward to attempting "Mrs PoMo's Eggplant Parmigiana" :)

5. knowsfords

knowsfords Member

I remember requesting this, so thats what the egg plant that had been in the fridge for a few months that I found mid last year was for :Paranoid:

I'll buy the stuff for it next week :p

6. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Got me my eggplant draining now; I have been waiting forever to make this without carnivore hubby being around to complain!

7. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Why salt and drain the eggplant?

8. Shawry

Shawry Member

"This will allow the bitter juices of the eggplant to be drawn out by the salt and drain away."

9. miicah

miicah Member

My girlfriend makes this and swears by it, nice to have a proper recipe.

10. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

That's a ridiculous amount of oil. I used half that and still had to skim the crap off the top.

[​IMG]

In future I wouldn't use any as the cheese, and what's left on the eggplant, is plenty enough.

Kind of bland, needs seasoning :thumbup:

11. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Wow!
    Mine wasn't oily at all. I did add a small amount of red wine vinegar to the sauce, which can help that a bit. But come to think of it, I only used half the cheese called for. Mine wasn't cheesy enough, and maybe that's where the oil comes from!

12. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

If you have some more time to consume, you can flour, egg & crumb the eggplant slices before you fry them.

These are actually awesome by themselves as a vege schnitzel but is also a winner in an eggplant parma :)

13. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

Wouldn't this be more of a vege lasagne? For it to be a parma it would need to be battered? And maybe substitute the chicken with tofu.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. AERO

AERO Member

oh i was thinking of makin this last week but i never got the chance too. might do it tomorrow. though mines quiet simple.

slice and salt eggplant, wash off and crumb it, cook as you would a schnitzel, then make parma's out of it. great vegiterian recipe. though i do love my meat. if i make i can post pics of mine if u like.

mine will look similar to this (google image) http://www.anthonyspizzamcdonough.com/images/eggplant_parmesan_dinner.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  15. AERO

AERO Member

well decided to make these today will link the photos :)

these are my eggplan t parmi's. havnt made em in like 8 years so forgive my noobieness. (tomorrow its cannelloni :p)

slice salt and sit / then wash off the salt. [​IMG]

crumb like most schnitzels [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fry as per schnitzel [​IMG]

all fried and drain a lil [​IMG]

parmi sauce and cheese [​IMG]

serve up with some form of side. though i should have not been lazy and offered a salad. i went for the pasta side [​IMG]

i did 3 whole eggplants so i got a few done for tomorrow etc.. :p

16. OP
    OP
    PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Looks like cheap cheese? Never had one come out that oily!

17. Tekin

Tekin Member

Whoa....go go thread resurrection!

I'll have to give this a go, since it seems to be revived every few years it MUST be good.

18. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

It's amazing! I'm still smiling, thanks to PoMo for posting!!

19. OP
    OP
    PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

The only thing I miss about my ex.

Bless you :-*