MS bans 1 million people from playing Xbox games online

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by chainbolt, Nov 12, 2009.

1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002900/10002915.stm

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Surprisingly enough, it doesn't seem to have been posted yet. However, it probably would have been better in the Microsoft Consoles forum.

It seems fair enough. You take Microsoft's game sales, they take your account. Even if you weren't planning to actually buy the game, you're still breaking the terms of service.

This article provides some specific numbers (although not necessarily reliable ones). According to that, MS has already banned 600,000 consoles in the US and Canada, and is aiming for a million.

Although it seems to have been effective, I'm not sure that this was a great idea for Microsoft. One of the big advantages of the Xbox 360 (that the Xbox 360 fanboys keep telling us will guarantee it 'winning' this round of the console wars) is that it can be hacked (while the PS3 can't). Suddenly hacking an Xbox 360 is looking like a really good way to throw away a few hundred dollars. In the mean time, Sony's got the new PS3 Slim available. The bannings may just shift more users to the PS3, which will undoubtedly please Sony.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. RHCP

RHCP Member

I wonder why the ban waves always seem to occur near Christmas?

It has definitely been a huge ban wave...and a lot of people are very upset. Personally i fail to understand their anger, they knew from the get-go what the possible outcomes were. Although, i think microsoft are being a little harsh when enforcing the bans, ie disabling windows media center and game-to-hdd installations. I realise their EULA explicity states they can do this, and the game installation wasn't an original function of the xbox, but it still seems mean :)

I've read a number of posts where people with banned consoles have immediately gone out and bought another console, then flashed it, and then proceeded to play online (Live!).......you can guess what happened:lol:

A lot of people are saying they wont buy another xbox, and will instead buy a ps3....but we all know the reason why 95% of these people modded their consoles it the first place.

Cheers, RHCP.

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I'm guessing that they do the bans right before Christmas because it helps to boost Christmas sales.

It's probably a good way of killing any resale value the consoles had, which means that pirates have essentially lost all the money they spent on the console. Otherwise they'd just get used as HTPCs or for single-player offline games. Both of those will be a bit harder now.

Some people are not particularly smart. I wonder what the record is (most consoles bought before they saw the pattern).

I guess that from Microsoft's point of view, selling games matters more than selling consoles. This will almost certainly hurt console sales a lot (because there's not such a good reason to get an Xbox 360 over a PS3) - but people who do buy the Xbox will be more likely to buy games for it. Presumably there'll be a lot of pirates who really liked some of the games they were pirating and will therefore be asking for those games as Christmas presents.

5. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

chainbolt, do you have a console?

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I wouldn't think so : )

Seems fair enough to me also, obviously as long as they are legitimate abusers of the system.

7. RHCP

RHCP Member

You are completely correct about the Xmas sales. (i was being rhetorical)

Most people have not lost their gammertags ie had their online account banned.The consoles themselves can still play games without issue, and they can still have media content streamed to them....so they're not completely worthless.

The thing is, this happens every year. It's one big cycle. In the next week or two a new firmware will be released which fixes whatever vulnerability in the emulation microsoft found. New game checking/verifying software will also come out.

Even if they have to buy a new console each year, most people would believe they're are still well and truly ahead. 3 new releases = a new console.

The only issue is with the new liteons/xboxs being unflashable (although the drive is physically the same).....perhaps this is a big driving factor behind the large ban. In time i believe this drive will be exploited like all the rest.

8. DeXtOrAu

DeXtOrAu Member

mine is modded but i found out about the mass bans. Just going to keep it off live then reflash...lol else keep of live :)

too bad if you just bought 12 month subscription...

9. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Tens of thousands, multiplied by how many games they would have pirated, then account for those that did not get caught.

No, piracy on consoles isn't anywhere near as bad as on the PC :rolleyes:

Now let's see if they decide to gimp any console games because of it.. oh wait, the whole argument is bullshit in the first place and they just CBF making games properly for PC anymore.

10. Jaff

Jaff Member

I daresay "tens of thousands" is only a fraction of the 360's out there. As you say I'm sure some were missed, however that wouldn't represent a huge amount. It's infinitely easier to pirate a game on PC then it is on a 360. For instance - average Joe user who has not much idea isn't going to be able to flash his console, however he is going to be able to Google a game with the word "download" tacked on the end and probably end up at a public torrent site.

So buy a console..........

11. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Easy? Look in any local paper, $30 and it's chipped. As for buying a console I've had one of each (or more) since the Atari days, and they still suck. Caving into the reason they are screwing us will solve nothing.

12. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

You are right, I moved it.

13. rubba-chikin

rubba-chikin Member

If you are a heavy gamer and actually go through a decent amount of games and do care about playing online you'd still come out way ahead buying 2 360's

One modded, the other stock for your online play.

I suppose you'd still need to buy the games you want to play online though.

I'm not that big on consoles (just bash out some guitar hero every now and then) - were the modded boxes allowing people to play pirated games online?

14. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Certainly were able to play pirated games online.

And good riddance to them, I pay an arm and leg for all my games, so can everyone else.

15. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Modded consoles (xbox) cost about $30-$100 more than store boxes, the games they get are about 80% less than a retail copy of any xbox game. I dont know what those people are complaining about.

Tens of thousands were banned, but there are probably hundreds of thousands of people with modded consoles. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  16. Zee

Zee Member

I'm hardly the poster boy for anti gam epiracy crew, but I agree with the general sentiment. You know the risks, so deal with it.

I'm quite happy to pay for worthwhile games, and have been known to shell out for several copies (I have 4 copies of COD4 for lan nights). If you really must get games by other means, the be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Z...

17. n2o

n2o Member

lol @ Phill, it won't be long before you're a bitter old man if you keep up the hate for gaming consoles

18. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Updated article at Shacknews:

19. FFC

FFC Member

SMH reported 600 thousand, and stated that Microsoft were aiming for 1 million or so.

20. C0ncrete

C0ncrete Member

Just in time for Christmas.