MS DOS Peer Server and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by GabTun, Feb 3, 2002.

1. GabTun

GabTun Member

Hi All,

I have set up an old machine running MSDOS 6 and Microsoft Networking Client 3.0 with the server patch.

I managed to get the two machines talking and can share drives off the XP machine - but when I try and explore the dos server in XP i get an error message that the action is not supported.

Is it possible to share drives on an MSDOS machine to XP? I have heard that win 98 is fine with it.

GabTun...

2. D F

D F Member

Hmm, well I tried doing that aswell. But I found that the idea of using tsr's to get the whole client working is extreemly inefficient. A 486/50 was only copying at 135k's a second, and was randomly locking up. Using dos as some kind of a server (your main box isnt running dos it it?) is only side tracking linux.. it has a samba client (windows filesharing) too you know, you just goota learn the os. The only way to start learing it is to use it. Or what ever. It will be a skill you will have for life. You will find that it is a much better solution, cause you can turn it into a mp3 jukebox, whith simple bash scripting, mabee a remote, and lcd or whatever.

3. OP
    OP
    GabTun

GabTun Member

I am hoping to use the DOS server solely as an MP3 Player for the following reasons:

Quick boot
    Stable
    Doesn't need to be shutdown
    DOS Player (MPXPLAY) has native lcd support.

Also,

I cant be bothered learning linux.
    Windows is too slow to boot (and needs to be shutdown)

I can compromise by playing the MP3's off my XP machine through the network (as dos has no problem being a workstation) but I don't want to have to have the XP machine on when I want to use the MP3 Player.

I would rather be able to upload MP3's onto the DOS box and then use it as a stand-alone MP3 Player.

GabTun.