MSI B560 Memory Try It! Competition

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by headin2001, Jul 17, 2021.

1. headin2001

headin2001 Member

MSI B560 Memory Try It! Competition

[​IMG]

What is up Overclockers,

Just popping in today to announce a competition being run by MSI Australia/NZ based on the new B560 platform. It's currently running since the start of the month, and will finish up on July 31st 2021, winners announced on August 9th 2021.

Competition Page Here: https://au.msi.com/Landing/b560-memory-try-it-overclocking-competition

MSI have a pretty sweet stack of prizes up for grabs and anyone with a MSI B560 Motherboard and basically any half decent kit of DDR4 RAM can participate. (I'm in it for the Monitor personally :) )

It's not often we get many of these competitions in the previous years, so jump in for a chance while you can. MSI have created a Blog to help guide you on how to enter and what to use, check it out HERE

Prizes:
    1st Place Champion: MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD 165Hz G-SYNC Gaming Monitor
    2nd Place: MSI CH130 X Gaming Chair
    3rd Place: MSI CORELIQUID K360 360mm AIO Liquid Cooler
    Next 10 Runner Ups: US$30 Steam Gift Cards

Into the Competition

The competition is super simple to enter, and it's all purely based on achieving the highest memory overclock you can!

What you need:

Any of the following Motherboards from MSI's B560 Line-up:

2-DIMM:

MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI
    B560M PRO WIFI
    B560M PRO
    B560M-A PRO
    B560M PRO-E

4-DIMM:
    MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI
    MAG B560 TORPEDO
    MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI
    MAG B560M MORTAR
    MAG B560M BAZOOKA
    B560M PRO-VDH WIFI
    B560M PRO-VDH

RAM:

Take your Pick. My suggestion is any Hynix DJR Based kits. From G.Skill, a 4000C18-22-22 kit is choice or there are multiple higher binned kits available, Kingstons 4600 HyperX kits are a given, and Thermaltakes 4000+ based kits.

Samsung B-Die based kits are still relevant and can hit 5000mHZ plus, but could take a bit more work.

Time to setup:

If you want, you can be lazy and just run XMP....... LIKE A N00B!!!!. Or, you can start by pressing that Memory Try It! button in BIOS and seeing what lofty heights you can take your memory and kit.

MSI Australia have kindly provided me with an MSI MPG B560i Gaming Edge WiFi motherboard and a kit of juicy G.Skill TridentZ Royal memory to give some guidance on how their Memory Try It! functions, plus I'll give some tips on memory tuning.

Disclaimer: Overclock at your own risk. Setting incorrect voltages can an will kill hardware.
    Memory overclock greatly increases your risk to killing a windows install. Back all files you care about before beginning, because believe me I lose a windows install many times in a session when things go wrong.

Now, before you get going, you need to get your base voltages correct.

There are 3 main voltages that effect memory overclocking using intel's 11th gen Core processors. These are VCCIO2, VCCSA and VDIMM. VCCIO2 directly feeds the memory controller, SA a secondary. VDIMM is well.....for the memory themselves.

I something like the following, this should have you humming all the way to 5066 with the correct RAM and also a strong CPU IMC:

[​IMG]

CPU SA Voltage (VCCSA) - Sweet spot between 1.4v and 1.6v on most CPU's
    CPU IO2 Voltage (VCCIO2) - Can range from 1.35v to 1.6v. Suggest keeping as low as possible
    DRAM Voltage (vDIMM) - 1.5v to 1.65v perfectly safe for daily.

Setting Memory:

There is a couple of ways to do this. I suggest starting with enabling XMP to begin. Small thing, but something so many newcomers and builder forget to set.

Give it a test from there to see if you are stable, making sure you lock those voltages above in. If you have a copy of Thaiphoon Burner, you can hopefully run it in windows to find what IC your memory is built on.

Next up, you can try the Memory Try It!

MSI have provided a myriad of presets to get you into memory overclocking simply. Some will work, some won't but the more you try, the quicker you can find the best setting for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When setting, the peset automatically sets your DRAM Voltage, plus the Primary memory timings in the Advanced DRAM Control Menu

This is the timings for the 4800C19 Preset

[​IMG]

and for the 5066C20 Preset

[​IMG]

For manual Memory overclocking, there is an abundance of straps to select from. Given the the B560 Platform doesn't allow BCLK tuning, it's best to tweak the best to set your selected memory speed and then delve further into the timings to maximise your system performance.

[​IMG]

Quick Tip: The 11th gen RocketLake processors, GEAR 2 mode is limited to only working with the 133 BUS clock. So some straps just will never boot ie, 4200, 4400, 4600, 5000, 5200.

Next Step:

Jump onto the competition page : https://au.msi.com/Landing/b560-memory-try-it-overclocking-competition

To enter, there is a screenshot requirement of 4 CPUz instances, HWInfo64 (to confirm CPU temp is over 25deg, plus you will have to upload the validation file to CPUz. Read the blog for an in-depth How-To.

[​IMG]

From here, you just need to fill out your details. Add the screenshot and links and you are on your way to a pretty good chance at a sweet prize.

I will update a bit more shortly with some performance differences I found, plus a bit more on tuning to maximise your setups.

bob(nz), glnn_23, nCrypt and 4 others like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

More to come.......

3. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

nice write up!

But having been on AMD for Zen2 and now Zen3, only intel stuff i still have around is Z68/2600K combo!

i would be interested in seeing how far these 4266 C19 royal Bdies i have can go!

Last time i was into heavy mem clocking was back when 7700K Silicon Lottery was in fashion, and we were all pushing 3200C14 Bdie kits too 4000 c12 with 1.88-1.91V!

Elmf likes this.
  4. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

nice!

now redesign the msi bios to not be such a pain to navigate...

i love my mortar max enough that i also bought one for my offspring, and it has my homely zen2 crankin', but the bios is about as tidy as that drawer everyone has in their kitchen, full of all the somewhat useful things that have no specific appropriate other home to inhabit
    asrock boards ? not so fabulous, but they have a bios that i can intuitively navigate

/end thread crap

nCrypt likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

Its not that bad once you get used to where it all is. Time is still ticking so get in there if you have a board. Chances are looking pretty good so far.

6. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

Quick update, MSI have extended the end date to the 31st of August. Plenty of time for more to join :)
    See you on the results list

7. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

Last few days now. Did anyone here have a go?