1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

MSI GS60 Ghost

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Andres, May 6, 2014.

1. MSI Notebook

MSI Notebook Member

Hi Dagi!

Yes we will have the 3K version in Australia soon!!!

Keep an eye out around July for it's release here!

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

July doesn't help the fact i want it for this years tax :/

Looks like i'm buying international...

Is the warranty international or not?

3. MSI Notebook

MSI Notebook Member

Hi NSanity

There are some limitations on the International Warranty. I suggest you contact our Service Centre on ausrma@msi.com for any questions.

I understand that you wish to buy now due to tax reasons but in terms of warranty MSI AU always suggests purchasing here for the two year coverage and pick up and return policy.

Cheers

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Picked up my Ghost Pro 3K the other day.

Swapped the Toshiba 128GB M2 SSD's for Intel 530 M2's.

Its pretty sweet :p

Dat screen.

5. cyberblade_256

cyberblade_256 Member

What are your thoughts on the idle/load fan speeds and temps?

I am tempting to get one but keep reading negative comments regarding those things.

Cheers

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

idle is fine.

GPU @ load is a bit crazy. You should have headphones.

7. tehoriginal

tehoriginal Member

^^ Mind if i get some photos of your ghost pro setup ?
    How much did u end up paying all up ?

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

I'll take some snaps later.

I primarily game on my desktop (3770k, Dual 670's, 30in Dell) - the laptop is really for work and play when i'm not at home.

For work it screams. I retrofitted 2x Intel 530 M2 180GB drives into it - but the OEM ones are Toshiba if i recall correctly - it was something of a pain in the ass to get to them as well, roughly 30-40 minutes work.

It is a significant upgrade over my previous ThinkPad T410 i5-560M (i think? 2.67ghz Dual Core, Hyperthreading w/ 8GB ram). Its thinner, lighter and the Battery lasts longer for "work" (Office Droneage and Systems administration) than the T410 and its 9-Cell did.

I've played a few games on it (World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3) at Native res fine. A few issues getting the GPU to kick in (a known problem with most onchip/discrete combo's) but once its running, it plays those titles perfectly fine.

Its *loud* when the GPU arks up. I would not suggest long gaming sessions without headphones. If you ever gamed with a GTX480 in Summer, its *that* loud.

Regarding the 3k Res.

Windows 8.1 does a better job of scaling than the OS's before it - however given that to date MS has left high DPI applications to the software vendors (rather than do it at the OS level) - its a bit hap hazard.

I don't *mind* using the Native Res when i'm on the laptop directly - however with an external keyboard in dual monitor setup, its too small for me (the laptop is a 10-15cm back from where i would have it otherwise).

I honestly think that unless you have need for the 3k res (it *is* gorgeous btw), I would probably stick with the 1080p model.

Additionally I would purchase a USB hub - such as the ones from Anker (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/251...e&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107) altho i haven't found a local supplier yet. 3 ports is just not enough imo. 4 I could live with.

I paid roughly $2700 all up (SSD's and laptop) - but i paid our companies cost price on everything so its hard to compare.

9. tehoriginal

tehoriginal Member

Solid response -thankyou.

Companies cost-price?

Where did you buy the laptop from? Whats the cheapest and best way to get this?

I would not know if the 3k resolution is required or not - to be honest I was looking at a 17" gaming laptop if anything but wouldn't mind if what you suggest it "*IS*" great.

Other alternatives I was considering to your MSI were:
    1) MSI Dragon Ed. gt70
    2)aSUS g73jh-A1
    3) Custom Sager model

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

I work for a company that buys hardware from wholesalers directly.

I paid our cost price. What i paid is completely irrelevant to what you may pay.

17in it too big imo. And nothing else is anywhere near this thin and/or light except a Macbook Pro (sucks for a lot of reasons) or a razor blade (no ethernet).

The Gigabyte P34g v2 is pretty good as well, but the build quality on the MSI is basically second to a MBP.

11. tehoriginal

tehoriginal Member

Mind if I get those pics mate ? Not sure what to expect on size and looks

12. chorrylan

chorrylan Member

I bought/imported a unit with the following specs from gentechpc.com
    GS60 Pro
    GTX 870M video (not the 3k variant)
    16GB ram
    2x Crucial 512GB M.2 SATA
    1 x 1TB Crucial M550 SSD
    external blu-ray rewriter
    Intel AC-7260 wifi
    win8.1 pro

Landed cost was around AU $4100 but I was getting it through a salary sacrifice arrangement with my employer so paid around 2/3 of that.

I would have preferred to purchase it locally (or from a shop in Vietnam where I was traveling at the time ... if had been able to find one) but couldn't find anyone who would sell anything like that spec here
    - as a single/complete package
    - before the end of the financial year

and wouldn't ya believe it ... that darned thing died catastrophically (failed to see a drive on one startup then refused to startup at all after that) few weeks after arriving.
    The U.S. MSI Service centre told me to contact MSI Australia for warranty on the basis that it has a '12 month global warranty', the local folks disagreed even though it sells here in Australia with the same warranty claim.
    The US folks said they'd get MSI Taiwan to 'sort things out' but I sent it back to the US anyway as I figured that getting the local service centre to fix it under duress likely to end up painfully for me and/or the notebook.

Having the unit fail and need repair wasn't inspiring.
    On the other hand... shipping it back cost me AU$107 and doign without it for 19 days during which the US service centre replaced the motherboard.
    Whereas if I'd bought this locally and had replaced the drives myself aftermarket or had the retailer do it (if I'd been able to find such a retailer) I suspect the local service centre would have had a similar attitude to those drives as they did to interpreting the term 'MSI Global Warranty' and it would have taken a lot more than 19 days and a lot more than $107 getting it repaired.

So as long as the repaired unit keeps on chugging away nicely for a while I think that means I'm probably more likely than less likely to buy from overseas and more likely to buy an MSI next time as a consequence of this experience.

13. tehoriginal

tehoriginal Member

$4100??? fwuarrr can get the gt72 007 dominator for less right?

14. chorrylan

chorrylan Member

but channeling monty python here... "Is it wafer thin?" Lol.
    I think you can get the gs60 for less than 2/3rd s of that ... the rest is 2tb of M2 and Ssd storage.
    I'm replacing a 17" desktop replacement, wheelbarrow requiring monster which taught me that whilst I need the storage and need to run a 2560x1600 monitor and need portability ... I rarely need to use the notebook display itself.

15. tehoriginal

tehoriginal Member

wise words.

16. tehoriginal

tehoriginal Member

.. It must be a beast though!! Can I see some pics ??