1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Msi Mega Pc

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Rubens, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Rubens

Rubens Member

So I ended up buying this lovely tiny p4 system off eBay for $20 in the hopes of getting it running and having a high end compact windows 98 build to replace the mish mash of other systems I have. It was sold as not working so here I am tearing it down, first issue no ram, that’s easy to fix. Everything else is intact apart from the heat sink floating inside the case. Apon further inspection the propriety plastic mounting bracket has all but disintegrated. Oh god how the hell do I find a replacement for this?
    (First photo is from the eBay listing I was a little too eager before pulling it apart.
    Not sure why photos are upside down must have happened during upload.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    BiggusDickus, t8y, sammy_b0i and 3 others like this.
  2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

perfect opportunity to... super glue together -> scan -> 3d print -> ?????? -> profit!
    --

fortunately it seems to be two pieces, not super complex.
    upload_2022-6-26_0-35-18.png
    https://techreport.com/review/5271/msis-mega651-barebones-system/

considering the size of the pieces, if 3d printing isnt an option for you, then it might be easier to fabricate some out of metal (maybe brass), then insulate them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

100%. Your pieces look broken but not granulated. Get some plastic fix from bunnings with the little primer pen, and put it back together to match the above pictures.

Try to get a copy made, otherwise see what you can do to strengthen it externally and you might get away with it.

Vanne, MUTMAN and qwertylesh like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

I’m thinking if I get some 1mm tin or the likes araldite or super glue it back together and make up a brace for the top that lines up with the mounting holes it should suffice. Otherwise I’ll just thermal epoxy the heatsink down. I guessing knowing that it’s had the heatsink come off I should probably test the cpu in another board first before gluing the heatsink on.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  5. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I'd just be running cable ties through the holes and over the heatsink before using epoxy.

t8y and JaC like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

It’s more a old socket a heatsink type, clips over those plastic brackets. The clips screw down into standoffs in the case so I don’t think I’d be able to run cable ties through the holes with the board mounted in the case and for some god forsaken reason the board has some kind of double sided tape on the back holding it to the case (possible thermal pads).

7. adz

adz Member

The screwholes look reminiscent of the mounting bracket used for the old socket 423 coolers, perhaps something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302233504012

May just solve the issue?

Vanne likes this.
  8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Create two braces (from metal) for each plastic piece, that sandwiches the plastic top and bottom, and then hook the cooler onto those. (or just a metal piece replacement of each)

Vanne likes this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

that doesnt look to hard to be able to make something up that will hold said cooler in place. board looks nice.. is that an 8x agp slot? was anything in it? whats the onboard gpu?

bloody awesome little pickup for 20 bucks mate.. cool lil resto project.

10. Vanne

Vanne Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Came with the full retail package, remote, antenna, windows xp home, all instal discs, msi tv tuner. No video card but I have a spare Geforce4 ti4200 for it and the cpu in it was a 2.8ghz P4

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Holy crap, all that for a 20?!... Good buy mate ;)

sammy_b0i likes this.