REVIEW MSI R9 280x Gaming (Now with BF4 results)

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by gazza30, Oct 28, 2013.

1. gazza30

gazza30 Member

[​IMG]

I was lucky enough to receive a package in the mail from MSI so today were taking a look at the R9 280x gaming series card. As most of you already know the 280x cards released are a revamp of the 7970’s that have been around for some time and yes they are crossfire compatible :)

Still its nice to see msi’s 280x showing off a custom pcb and cooler, we’ll take it for a spin shortly to see if its performance is still up to the job.

Special thanks to MSI Australia for the card so lets get to and take a look at what you get!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

First up the card itself and quite a looker to red and black , well it just never gets old in my book. Next to that are the packaged accessories pretty standard stuff really install manual , crossfire connector , Couple of molex and power adaptors , vga to dvi adaptor and a displayport to mini display port adaptor and of course the driver / software disk that of course i left in the box.

Checking out some more pics this time of the available video outputs on offer you’ll see a single dl/Dvi port , two mini displayports and a single HDMI port 1.4a. for full HD audio. Its nice to see a few connectivity options for eyefinity fans although another dl/Dvi port would of been nice. Probably not an issue as more and more screen makers are supporting dp so maybe i’m just old fashioned.

[​IMG]

The 280x from MSI comes with some nice clocks straight out of the box with 1050 and the 3gb of Hynix GDDR5 memory clocked in at 1500 and the Twin Frozr Cooler in the mix for some great cooling. The card supports the pcie3 standard as well as the latest DX 11.2 and AMD’s mantle when it arrives.

Complete specs can be found here

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-280X-GAMING-3G.html#specification

One of things i noticed is the size of the 280x from MSI it looked a little stubby so after a quick measure and google search it does look like the MSI offering is indeed shorter coming in at around 27cm. I took a comparison picture beside my 7970 Lightning coming in at 30cm for those interested.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Taking more of a look into the card we see MSI have kept the dual bios switch right next to the crossfire connector and on the other side as expected an eight and six pin plug. Dual Bios was nice to see considering some manufacturers have done away with the dual bios switch probably to save a few dollars in manufacturing.

Another tick is Voltage adjustment is available via AB another nice feature especially after some of us were caught out with Rev 2 7970 voltages being locked down.

Some 280 x's also don’t ship with voltage control so just be aware your overclocking may not go as well as msi’s 280x.

[​IMG][​IMG]

So lets see some numbers shall we!!

Test system used

Asrock Z87m-OC

Intel 4770 k @ 4.2 throughout testing

Corsair 2666 Vengeance pro 8gb

MSI R9 280x gaming

13.11 b6 driver

OCZ agility 3

Win 7 Pro 64bit

*Ambient temps were kept at 25-26’c throughout testing

*All cpu power saving also turned off

*Gpu tests done at stock and then at 1200 core / 1600 memory clocks

*Gpu clocks could go higher for some benching/gaming test however these higher clocks where not stable throughout them all so i settled for max clocks of 1200 /1600

First off lets check out some 3D benchmarks

3DMark Vantage @ Stock clocks

[​IMG]

3DMark Vantage OC clocks 1200 /1600

[​IMG]

3DMark 11 Stock

[​IMG]

3DMark 11 OC clocks 1200 /1600

[​IMG]

3DMark FireStrike Stock

[​IMG]

3DMark FireStrike OC clocks 1200 /1600

[​IMG]

So that the synthetic tests done and some pretty good performance out of the box but by bumping the voltage to 1250 mv in AB i unlocked some extra performance. AB does let you go to 1300 mv but i didn’t see much gain other than heat really. Temps were kept in check even at stock with the fan set to auto and running whisper quiet. You can see for the oc settings i set a fixed fan of 80% which does get pretty loud especially on the test bench but i did manage to set a custom fan curve that was easier on the ears and only added a few degrees while still letting me keep my OC clocks.

Ok so whats the point of all these synthetic tests i want some game tests. Well sure why not!!

I didn’t get my card in time for BF4 beta so I’ll add some results first chance i get so for now we’ll take a look at a few others i had on hand.

All test settings for games where done at 1920x1080 and all video and quality settings set to Ultra or as high as they would go.

Dirt Showdown

Stock on the left and right OC 1200 /1600

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hitman Absolution

Stock on the left and OC right 1200 / 1600

[​IMG][​IMG]

I noticed a pretty big spike in max fps when oc’d so i re ran several times to make sure but results remained consistent across several reboots and re runs.

Next up was Metro 2033 although it been around for some time maxed out with all the eye candy on its still pretty taxing on the system

[​IMG][​IMG]

Next up BF3 Still a big favourite amongst FPS fans

Stock on the left OC on the right

[​IMG][​IMG]

FarCry3

One of my favourites and overclocking got some nice extra performance.

Stock on the left OC on the right

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now there is a lot of talk of people crossfiring the 280x with 7970’s etc so i thought I’d give it a shot with my 7970 lightning. Sure enough plugged in the second card and bingo crossfire working.

[​IMG]

Did a quick 3D mark 11 to see how they scale with both at stock and was suprised by the strong result of 17270 marks http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7387272

Battlefield 4

Well I finally found the time to bring this little update. I used the 3rd mission in the campaign where you board a sinking aircraft carrier.

I have for this test updated to the latest beta driver 13.11b8 which worked without a hitch.
    Test rig remains the same and all testing was carried out with ULTRA Settings except Antialliasing Deferred which I dropped back to 2X MSAA instead of 4X MSAA.

Stock settings on the left OC 1200 / 1600 on the right

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pretty good performance i think and very playable frame rates. BF4 is pretty tough on the GPU though as I found out and the 1250mv I had used for all my other testing was no longer cutting the mustard I needed 1290mv to maintain my OC clocks of 1200 / 1600. With the extra voltage it did heat up and max gpu temps peaked at 82'c while the vrm's peaked at a toasty 100'c.
    At stock settings the card peaked at 71'c and the vrm's at a more comfortable 77'c.

Conclusion
    Well for a minor refresh I’m still impressed overall with the card. I had a few issues to start with but looked like it was a software issue with AB not applying voltage unless i forced constant voltage which probably makes the card use more power and add a little extra heat.

Cooler does a pretty good job however the vrm’s can get a little toasty at times. Having a look I’m not sure the plate/heatsink covering the ram and vrm adds to the cooling or just locks in the heat. Either way the card never throttled once during testing so i guess all is fine.

Overclocking was decent at 1200 / 1600 and the fact they are crossfire compatible with their older brothers the 7970 is another win , new drivers look good to no issues installing or enabling crossfire.

:thumbup:So thats a thumbs up from me thanks for looking:thumbup:

If you like the review or have a question post away happy to help if i can .

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Nice review mate, 7970 performance for this price is nothing to sneeze at.

When are you jumping to a 290x? :D

3. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Thanks Jack yeh pretty good price for the performance you get great time to upgrade.

As for the 290x already got one should be here tomorrow :thumbup: then off to work the following day :(

4. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

Good review!:thumbup:

However why 2 games have strange results after overclocking. I am really surprise to see a big jump in FPS in Hitman and Farcry3 after the OC.

5. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Thanks for the comments mate I noticed the big jump in max fps in hitman also and that was using the inbuilt benchmark so results where easy to repeat. Even after several reboots and reruns the results where the same.
    I think more than likely its just the driver I did almost identical testing when I did my asrock motherboard review a little while ago using a Msi 7970 Lightning.

Farcry3 was a nice surprise as well with a nice boost after the OC and that was after the standard reruns and reboots to make sure things where consistant. Digging this new amd driver!

While Max fps is nice I tend to be more interested in the average fps as its what you'll mostly going to see when gaming.

If anyone wants to share some 280x results bust them out keen to see what you guys are getting. :thumbup:

6. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

nice review :thumbup:

any news if the new card line-up will be added to the never settle reloaded bundle?

7. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Cheers mate not 100% on game bundle for this card i saw nothing on the box or received no redeem card etc. I'll double check for you :thumbup:

8. booj

booj Member

Nice one Gazza :D

I have no info (yet) on the AMD bundles with the new cards. If/when they do announce something I'm sure it will get a lot of attention.

9. frashed

frashed Member

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

Wondering why my Matrix Platinum won't clock past 1185mhz (fine with default voltage). Trying to hit 1200, and even with 1.3v I'm getting artifacts in Valley.

Bloody annoyed.

10. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Thanks mate cheers for the heads up on the bundles fingers crossed they do they where pretty popular last time round.

No idea why it wont clock past 1185 mate my sample did 1200 easy 100% stable in everything i through at it. Some benchmarks or game tests could go higher. Make sure the voltage your setting is actually taking effect. Use both AB voltage monitoring and Gpu-z to double check that voltages are applied under a 3D load. You may be having the same issue i had.

11. frashed

frashed Member

Hmm I'll check it out in GPU-Z tonight. Though I'm using GPU Tweak and not AB. Cheers mate.

12. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Noisy card in games ? My sons Gigabyte is noisy as hell so looking to change it.

13. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Hey mate don't have a gigabyte 280x to compare but the MSI 280x is pretty quiet and I had it on a test bench just make sure you have good air flow as it dumps the heat in the case and you should be fine.

14. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Able to let me know what settings you had in AB to get those clocks ?

Picked up this card today and its great but for the life of me I can't o/c the bastard very high. What is the go with the bios switch as well ? Thanks.

15. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Cool mate hope you enjoy it. As for clocks i didn't need more than 1250mv on the voltage slider in AB for rock solid 1200 core clocks and memory easily did 1600 you might get away with even less voltage so give it a shot. If you have trouble OC'ing check your voltage is applying my voltage would not apply unless i ticked the box for constant voltage in AB options.

My second bios is identical as far as i can tell just a backup incase you decide to flash a custom bios and muck it up, flick a switch and bingo back in action :thumbup:

16. XcomSam1

XcomSam1 (Banned or Deleted)

Very nice 3D11 xfire score.

17. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Thanks Sam was just done to show the two different cards run fine in crossfire both cards where at stock.

I'll be adding some BF4 performance testing in a few days when i get home :thumbup:

18. frashed

frashed Member

Interested to know how you get on with BF4. I've noticed fluctuating low gpu usage (60-70%) on 13.11 Beta8 - reverted back to Beta7's and gpu usage back at 99% solid.

Also locks up and/or throws a DirectX error with 1200 clocks for me. @1185 it's fine.

19. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Thanks for the driver tips have seen lots of people having issues with BF4 hopefully they get sorted soon.

1185 is still pretty decent. So increasing voltage isn't helping your clocks? Try a few benchmarks to test clocks while increasing your voltage. Bf4 might be a little to unstable at the moment to be a good stability test for clocks.

20. frashed

frashed Member

I've run 1200 in both Valley and Furmark at 1.3v. Valley gets through no issues. Furmark will throw artifacts quick smart - should I let this bother me? I know how intensive it is compared to real-world gaming.

Right now I'm even getting green 'snow' on Desktop/general usage. No issues with single-link DVI (and only 60hz). I'm happy to wait for WHQL drivers before I decide to send my card back.