MSX2

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

Ive been dabbling and thinking of picking up one of these systems, having done a little bit of stuff with it while on holidays in holland when I was young (my Cuzz had one) so have been keeping a look on various models and markets...

Ebay is OUT!!! these prices are freaking crazy!!!

Currently in holland (24 hr layover in Schiphol, Amsterdam) and having a few beers with my 1 year older brother at his house and we start talking about the MSX..

Turns out there are lots of Philips MSX models here in holland, was actually a very popular system here in holland/germany/europe..

Currently looking at getting one of the higher end models, the desktop ones seem to be the nicest.Though all come in various forms of disarray and missing boot disks etc..
    Some come with 2 disk drives, some come with only one. I am not sure id have the room to keep another CRT, but the actual unfits look pretty nice and appealing.

Some start as cheap as 100 euros, but id want to get a nice one.

Anyone on here have any experiences with these setups that could tell me what to avoid and what to look for?

cheers

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Wow, I remember using a Sony MSX as a kid. Had a lot of fun with it, but haven't seen or touched one in 30-odd years now!

Vanne likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

MSX/MSX2 is on my "want one, can't justify the cost" list. So MiSTer is going to fill that gap for me.

Vanne likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Just put an offer in on a
    Philips MSX 2 NMS-8250

comes with the whole package,
    crt, printer, only one drive though and a whole box of diskettes and crap... lol (80 euros) hahaha..

[​IMG]

pic is just for ref, this one looks nowhere near as nice as the one pictured .. :/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

T
    This Mister box is gonna be awesome.. but the only thing worries me is what sort of case you chuck around that... ill probably pick one up in the future too mate, they do look very very interesting.. and a helluva lot cheaper than keeping all this old stuff running... the only difference will be tactile..