1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mt. Kosciuszko Camp and hike

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by thebranded, Nov 3, 2019.

1. thebranded

thebranded Member

Has anyone done a camp and hike around and upto the summit of Mt. Kosciuszko? Looking for some good camp sites (tent) close to the main track. Ngarigo Campgraound is the closest i can find.

Train from Sydney to Canberra, then Bus to Jindabyne, rental car to camp ground and then drive to start of Mt. Kosciuszko hiking trail.

[Edit] This is for the xmas/new years holidays

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I'd probably skip the train to Canberra and just grab a Murrays bus. They run every hour from Central or Domestic airport, cheaper than a train, has onboard wifi, drops you straight to the Jollimont center, so easy to get a bus down to Jindabyne. Train drops you near Kingston, I think, so you're up for a uber or taxi to the city from there.

3. apsilon

apsilon Member

Yes, I've done a multiday walk around there. Are you after nearby camp grounds or camp sites on the trail? There are no established camp sites on the trails.

I drove to Canberra and stayed overnight with a mate (mostly to catch up) then on to Thredbo the next day. Booked a room there as I'd never been and thought I'd take a look around the town (don't bother, it's absolutely dead outside of ski season and bloody expensive) then left my car there and took the ski lift up and walked a loop. Stayed at the hotel again the night I got back then drove back to Canberra again.

Don't let summer fool you, it can be cold up there at anytime. I went first week of March and the forecast was for a low of 12degC. First night it got down to -8 before windchill and with an 80km/h wind there was a lot of windchill. I was bloody cold and with that level of wind noise it was almost impossible to sleep. My worst night camping ever. Second night was better but not by much.

4. Hater

Hater Member

be way better off just renting the car in Sydney and driving the whole way if taking your own isnt an option

sammy_b0i likes this.
  5. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

True, didn't think of that. Especially if they charge daily. Might as well not double handle it.

6. OP
    OP
    thebranded

thebranded Member

Cheers, i will probably take my car down, overall cost is more by train/bus plus car rental.

Camp Grounds nearby, not on the trail. More a base point to start from. After the trail might head back to Jindabyne (or other town near) to spend a night or two to just relax.

Have not done to much cold weather camping, 0c or -3c has been ok, but no wind chill. Will look more into this. What camp grounds did you stay at or just camp on the trail?

7. apsilon

apsilon Member

I just camped on the trail, or rather random spots off the trail, so I probably can't be much help. I know there are official camp grounds around the area but have no experience with them. I'm sure all the info will be on the national parks site though.

8. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

What walking are you looking at doing, if you are doing the walk to Kosci from the Thredbo Chair then yep Ngarigo is the closest to Thredbo, you are in the national park at that point so you will need a parks pass.
    If you want to do the full walk 23+km that starts at Charlotte Pass then you are better off camping on the Koscuiszko road side so Island Bend (or managed campground at sawpit creek), start from there and drive up to Charlotte's and walk from there.
    It will be busy up there during that period, my advice is walk in early from Charlotte's and go to the summit of Kosci first, if you do that you miss the hoards of people coming from Thredbo via the chair lift (the opening time and walking time means those people get there after 10)
    Take your own car, it will be so much easier also with your original plan of bus to Jindy then rent a car might run into some issues with the last part (and the bus too, they can be a bit sporadic over summer)
    Source - I lived in Jindabyne for 10 years and did the Kosci circuit at least once a year

9. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member