MTP Drivers Messed Up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by isaakk, Mar 18, 2016.

1. isaakk

isaakk Member

Hi all, very rare I need to make a thread for troubleshooting help as Googlefu can usually get the job done, but this little problem has me stumped.

Basically, I installed W10 sometime last year and disabled the Windows Update service in anticipation of problems like this, but last week enabled the service again and let it run through updates. Now my Nexus 5 won't connect properly & refuses to come up in This PC, make transferring files very frustrating (FTP server on phone or SMB). Phone still comes up in Device Manager as both ADB and MTP device (have tried replacing ADB drivers with standard MTP, doesn't work).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What has me stumped though, is why I cannot do anything regarding uninstalling/updating/disabling the MTP driver. Right clicking gives two options - Scan for hardware changes & Properties. Properties has Update/RollBack/Disable/Uninstall all greyed out. Checking Event Viewer, seems like it's just in an endless loop of trying to install/migrate, failing, trying again. Have installed Windows10-KB3010081-x64.msu, did not help.

[​IMG]

Anyone have any experience with something like this? It's quite frustrating & i'm not sure on how to solve it.

Cheers.

2. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I remember having this issue with MTP back on Windows 8.1. Uninstalling the ADB driver package from programs and files fixed it. Not sure if that's your situation though.

3. OP
    OP
    isaakk

isaakk Member

Thanks for the reply, don't think that'll work in this case though as the ADB drivers were installed manually using the standard Google Unified inf driver file, not an actual installer.

4. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Download Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) and follow the "full driver installation"

Step A should involve using usbdeview to remove all related drivers.

5. OP
    OP
    isaakk

isaakk Member

Ahh, that's a good plan. Will run through it and see if it does the trick. Thanks :thumbup:

6. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

no worries. The instructions are pretty clear with usb deview. Just unplug the phone/tablet and run the software. uninstall any drivers that are related. The vendor names will be things like Google, Nexus, Android, LG etc etc

And i hate to say it, but follow the instructions and try not to jump the gun. From memory i plugged in my tablet straight away and the next step is like "dont plug in your device yet" :/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  7. OP
    OP
    isaakk

isaakk Member

Doesn't want to play ball, ADB works perfectly fine, MTP just does not want to work. Tried plugging my phone into a different machine also running W10 and it had the same problem, so methinks it's either a Windows 10 problem, or something with the phone itself. Have a OnePlus Two arriving in the next day or so to replace the N5 so will wait and see if the same problem pops up with that before chasing this any further.

Very frustrating, that's for sure.

8. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

9. OP
    OP
    isaakk

isaakk Member

10. OP
    OP
    isaakk

isaakk Member

For the record, the OnePlus Two worked fine with MTP for two days then randomly started doing the exact same thing as the Nexus, no matter the PC it was plugged into. Factory reset it and returned to working again, only to stop working again once plugged/unplugged a couple of times, giving a Device Failed To Start (Code 10) error in the device properties.

I have since concluded that either my Windows 10 installation or motherboard are the culprit, and will be able to know for certain when my new Z170 board & 6700K get here. Doubt it's the Z68 as the person I purchased it off a couple of months ago had zero issues with it, and I have had issues with Windows messing me around in the past.

We will see. If it's not board/OS related, it has me stumped.