1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

multi-ap setup?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by T1tan, Jun 16, 2020.

1. tobes

tobes Member

I currently have 2.4Ghz enabled on my Telstra modem solely for a Aria Fitbit scale. You can enable legacy 802.1b support on Unifi but this seemed like a simpler option.

T1tan likes this.
  2. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Not sure if there is a limit, but you can set up multiple SSID's.

T1tan likes this.
  3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

The controller currently tells me that: "A maximum of 8 wireless networks are allowed per WLAN group when connectivity monitor is disabled".

T1tan likes this.
  4. carver

carver Member

Question for all the Unifi peeps

Can I connect a Unifi AP directly into my existing modem or do I need to buy a Unifi switch as well.

If my budget is around $350 would I be better off getting a NanoHD AP or 2 x AP lite?

5. Renza

Renza Member

Yep you can plug it into any modem, but you'll need to use the PoE injectors to power the AP. If you have a PoE switch, you can use that, too, without the injectors

Depednds on the shape of your house. if its long and narrow, i would go with two APs. The Nano HD will have higher speeds when close to the AP though

carver likes this.
  6. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Don't need a unifi switch, you can connect a unifi AP directly into your network.

NanaHD vs 2 x lite's would depend on the layout of the space you're trying to cover I guess - do you need one AP or two?

EDIT: What he said ^^ :)

carver likes this.
  7. carver

carver Member

Thanks for the fast replies.

live in a rental 3bed townhouse,Pretty small layout and currently covered by the standard gen2 telstra smart modem.

We just struggle with QOS..... this afternoon for instance

kid 1 on Nintendo switch playing online with nephew and FaceTime with iPad

kid 2 playing minecraft on ps4

me just web browsing researching AP’s and routers and web pages not loading on MacBook Pro loosing my shit. Lol

Modem syncing 47 down and 18 up

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  8. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

If you get decent signal on one AP now, I'd probably go with the NanoHD - or maybe the FlexHD if you like the look of it more :)

I don't know much about QoS though - does the AP handle that, or the router?

9. carver

carver Member

Thats a good question, I might do some more research.

Might just have to go for new router

10. Rass

Rass Member

I believe they map the QoS and queue/process as appropriate, but I don't believe they allow the changing of priorities or marking them.

edit - it's only really one part of the equation, you would need a router capable of QoS to really make use of it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  11. carver

carver Member

I'm sure the speed from my isp to router is sufficient but it just seems the router can't handle the traffic to each device and 1 device gets all the speed.

I must clarify also that all clients are wireless........ had it in my mind that a Gb connection to a AP would be enough if the AP had the brains to distribute correctly.

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I would have thought that any even semi modern wireless access point or router would handle multiple connections just fine.

The only issue that I would see as possible is if you're flooding the uplink then no new requests get out, although I've only seen things get slow, not stop. You also have 18Mbit up which should be more than enough. We have had a very similar scenario on cable (100/5) with XBox + FaceTime while other people are doing things and it's never not worked.

My first instinct is to actually disable QoS and see if things get better and the router just isn't coping (although it should). Theoretically, installing a new WAP removes the overhead of the wireless part from the modem, although if it's working as it should I can't see this being the issue with so few clients but maybe worth a try (if you've got an old modem you could always use that as a WAP temporarily).

13. carver

carver Member

Ok I just bit the bullet and bought a new Router today.

I give it a day of testing to confirm if it’s better.

At the moment I have my telstra smart modem (gen2) in bridged mode running to my new asus router.

Thanks again to all for the advice

Gibbon likes this.
  14. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

What internet connection are you running? FTTN I assume?

I had a similar setup on Optus HFC cable modem/router in bridge mode (then Telstra HFC had it's own cable modem and now Aussie NBN FTTC which again has it's own separate modem) each was running into my Unifi USG and Unifi APs which worked well across all the platforms. Prior to that I used to have my ADSL modem in bridge mode running into a DLink running Gargoyle Router and a couple of Apple Airport Extremes which also worked well. I'm very happy having dedicated devices for mode/routing/WAP since you can then swap out and/or relocate each component rather than relying on an all in one device.

Gibbon likes this.
  15. carver

carver Member

Yes FTTN

Can confirm that all is working really well, no issues with the kids on devices and my wife and I on ours.
    Speedtest sync speeds are they same and now have lot more control over whats happening.

th3_hawk, Pugs and Gibbon like this.
  16. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

:thumbup: Good outcome.

17. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

They implement 802.11e on the access points, but QoS for your upstream provider would be implemented at their edge or on your gateway device.

Rass likes this.
  18. koopz

koopz Member

There were 2 ways to begin this thread.

1. I want something something something.. please help me.

2. I want something, something cheap and shitty IOT tech. Please help me.
    (I still don't know that the shit I bought only works on 2.4G - no 5G options. Deal with it)

Additional points go to those who achieve #2, and somehow sell and maintain system and network integrity over time where the client lives in while also assisting others in this block who's wifi network need balancing.