Multi Boot

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by pearla, Aug 15, 2002.

1. pearla

pearla Member

How do i configure a multi boot with windows xp and me???? i have an 80 gig hard drive, i have xp pre-installed and have no desire to reformat the whole lot and start with me and then install xp on top. i have created a 5 GB partition in FAT32 for the me os but have no way of installing it.... its prving to be a bit of a prick. can someone please help me out???

2. c0rr

c0rr Member

you wont be able to dual boot unless you install ME first then install XP afterwards. All win 9x based (win95/98/ME) operating systems cant setup a dual boot.

3. Kaji

Kaji Member

Couldn't you create a new partition, install 95/98/ME/2K in that partition, and then edit the boot.ini folder?

(note: I couldn't do this. 98 wanted to format the exisiting partitions, and I had problems fixing the boot.ini. Anyone else done this?)

(from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q289283 )

The boot partition of a dual-boot configured computer must use the FAT16 file system, unless you are installing Windows Me, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows 98 and Windows 2000 on the same computer. In this case, the boot partition can be FAT32. If you are configuring any combination other than Windows 2000 and Windows Me, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows 98, and the boot partition is either FAT32 or NTFS file system, you must back up your data, and then format and repartition your hard disk to FAT16 before you set up a dual-boot computer.

So, if XP is NTFS, you'll need either a) delete, re-partition, format or b) use some fancy 3rd party partitioning software, which I have no idea about. ParitionMagic gets named a lot - no idea what it can do, tho. FDISK/FORMAT works fine for me, and should work fine for anyone, if they plan ahead.

4. OP
    OP
    pearla

pearla Member

i have created a partition in the boot sector of the hard drive of about 5 gb with fat32 - But how do i actually go about installing windows me. it wont let me run the wizzard from xp, and there is no way to boot into dos and run it from there - running from the command line from within windows doesnt work either

5. Kaji

Kaji Member

tried booting from CD?

6. Tech Guy

Tech Guy (Banned or Deleted)

You cant boot from an ME cdrom, it doesnt work, you will ahve to boot rom a botable floppy disk with the cdrom drivers, then you should be able to install the OS...

7. Kaji

Kaji Member

Ah, didn't know that. I just assumed that since 98/2k/XP all can boot from CD-ROM, ME can as well.

Oh well. It IS Windows ME, after all :p

8. OP
    OP
    pearla

pearla Member

how do u put cdrom drivers on a disk and if i do and it installs me will it install over xp... i really donjt weant to have to do a total reinstall.... itd be a ****

9. Splash Damage

Splash Damage Member

you DONT have to reinstall windows xp
    all you have to do is rewrite the MBR after succesfully installing WinME, you can do that by booting into the WinXP Recovery console, from the WinXP cd then typing 'fixmbr'
    if you find theres no option for WinME in the boot menu, you'll have to manually edit the boot.ini file in xp

as for installing WinME, in WinXP create a boot floppy (theres an option to make a bootdisk when you format a floppy) then boot from it, i'm pretty sure it has cdrom drivers on it, install me from there....

good luck

10. martymil

martymil Member

Yes you can install win me from cdrom (I thought i'll clear that up )

You must have a dud original or a fake