Multi input keyboard or keyboard switch?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by vladtepes, Jul 17, 2019.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I have three computers in my study.

The most used are my Windows machine and FreeNAS machine.

It would be really handy to be able to just have one keyboard and flick a switch as I need to use it for one or the other.

I also have a Linux machine so a way of switching between three computers would be even better.

Keyboard I have at the moment is a decent USB mechanical keyboard, and I'm thinking some sort of switchblock might be the best option if such a thing exists ?

If it matters, the windows and NAS both have USB keyboard plugs but the Linux machine is older and only has ps/2

Anyway is there a solution to my first world problem please? :D

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Sounds like what you really want is an ssh client for the windows box.

3. domsmith

domsmith Member

what your after is a KVM switch.

Are you using one monitor or two monitors. how are the monitors connected displayport or hdmi

4. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

No that's what I'm doing at the moment but if I can't get the wireless network operating as it should then no access.

Yep it would seem so.
    Currently two monitors in a dualscreen setup for my windows computer - one of my monitors is HDMI and the other is displayport.

The old Linux computer has VGA video connector and I have a separate monitor for that.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Serial console?

6. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

never heard of one, will have to ask Mr Google...

7. power

power Member

why not just remote to them? do any of the remote machines do anything that is graphically intensive?

8. domsmith

domsmith Member

If you have three computers in the same proximity then they should be cabled together not connected by wireless.
    For linux and freenas you should get used to either ssh or using their web interface to control them.
    You could also use a program called synergy for windows and linux machines which is like a software version of a KVM but this would require a functional network.

If your Windows and Linux machines are both used as desktops.
    Expensive Hardware KVMs: https://store.level1techs.com/?category=Hardware
    You have to use good quality video cables if your using 4k monitors everything has to be close and best to have both monitors using the same type connection.
    A dual monitor KVM is expensive it also uses up an extra power socket.

If the linux and freenas machines are used as servers then just get a cheap KVM switch for just those and have them output to a VGA output
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39419/startech-2-port-black-usb-kvm-switch-kit-with-cables

If its not for heavy desktop use then the money would probably be better spend on a cheap 10gb network switch SFP+, three 10gb network cards and SFP+ cabling between the computers.

vladtepes likes this.
  9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

You can also use Synergy as a software solution (or any one of it's re compiled free variants), it'll act like multi monitor but you are of course crossing between computers as the mouse gets to a screen edge.

vladtepes and terroristone like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Really the main reason is troubleshooting - when the network connection isn't playing the game and I need to log in directly to the FreeNAS machine its a PITA having to drag another monitor out from under the desk, swap over the keyboard and mouse, do what I want - then same and go back to windows then same and...
    well you get the picture.

Networking? I hate networking. Don;t understand most of it...

11. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Does your freenas server have a serial port or UART headers on the mobo to add one? I would just do that and plug your USB -> RS232 converter into a laptop or get a long USB cable.

12. domsmith

domsmith Member

Another option you could just plug the freenas server into an additional video port the same monitor switch inputs and use a wireless keyboard mouse combo

https://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus?crid=27

vladtepes likes this.
  13. johnyfalco

johnyfalco Member

A Aten KVM switch is what you are after. I use one to switch seamlessly between three computers. Works like dream.

vladtepes likes this.