Multimeter - occasional home use is cheap ok?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Bold Eagle, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Powerprobe, I need to get me one of them.

2. power

power Member

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

Highly recommend it. I borrowed one for a day, then immediately bought my own.

Paid for itself the first car re-wire I did.

4. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I have one of those, would also recommend :thumbup:

For a hobbyist or general stuff at ELV the cheapies are fine. My first ever multimeter was a DSE branded analogue unit, cost me $30 almost 30 years ago - I still have it and it still works. The $40 cheapie I have kicking around in my 4WD has lasted for at least 10 years now.

If you are actually going to use the meters at voltages above ELV then you need to spend the cash on a quality unit.

Fred Nurk likes this.
  5. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

If you decide to buy a quality meter, like a fluke, don’t buy it on eBay or be very careful. There are many fakes out there.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Fake Flukes are generally easy to distinguish from genuine units.

7. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Maybe, I’ve heard they are very good and hard to tell apart. Anyway, if you’ve never used one....

8. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

There are some reliable vendors on Ebay. Doesn't Keysight have a refurb store for test gear?

9. heller44

heller44 Member

I have a mix of fluke meters, megger, kyritsu, yokogawas and other miscellaneous crap that I use for work.

That said when my brother asked for recommendations of a meter for home, and checking dc automotive and end of line resistance for his job.. UNI-T DIGITAL UT210E

Small, decent, good dc clamp reading. Don't need to go fancy.

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I know they have one in NA region which is where I bought my older Agilent A series LCR meter and DMM from.

11. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

have a fluke. mid range. expensive. i dont need it. it's a fetish. got it from a local reseller.
    put a nice long life lithium battery in it.

12. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I also bought a new one in Adelaide when I was working at Torrens island power station as a tech. That was in 1990s, I think, I still have the 8060A and it still works, the old lcd screen take a bit to warm for all the segments to work but it’s fine, after 30yrs. Buy quality, buy once.

I have bought a few cheap fluke multimeters on this forum recently, I’m happy to fix them up and treat them as they should be, people do kind of abuse them.

adamsleath likes this.
  13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

115 true RMS here.

old one was a "23" something is borked with it. it turns on but the V,A, readings are all wrong...

14. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Open the 23 up and check the dial, I’ve never had a issue with one of those (I bought a 87 I needed to fix) but you can probably use some contact cleaner to fix the dial. Have a look around on the web, they are built to be fixed, they come apart easily and usually only have a single main board. I doubt it’s anything major. I’d guess it would be the rotary dial.

If you can’t fix it put it on eBay, someone will buy it and fix it, better than chucking it out.

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yeh tried cleaning it already. i gave up on it.
    if you were local id give it to you. :p
    its a keep sake. it was my dad's. no longer with us :(

16. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I have a Digitech QM-1538 I bought in October 2006 from Jaycar... the receipt is still in that box ($49.95) ;)

I have the temp probe and software CD for logging, but strangely not the RS232 cable. It may be in a box somewhere, but it's not something I recall ever actually using.

I've only doing low voltage stuff in Cars, RC Toys and other small electronics from time to time, most of the time I would probably get by with a light globe based circuit test, but a multimeter is very very handy to have around. This one is still going strong 13 years later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019