Multimeter probe banana socket.

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by xc351, Nov 5, 2018.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

As I’m doing a shit load of work on my car and have no real easy points to put multimeter and use 2 hands. Can you get mini banana plug sockets to put one on the dash or someware low key to rest my probe in.

Plan b is just use a normal banana plug socket and 1 banana plug lead for the neg.

Yea it’s overkill but my old car but many times I’ve thought I had nothing only to find the hinge pin (were i generally stick my probe needs some more pressure to get a earth)

My fluke 113 isn’t the beat as it seems to dumb dumbs meter so voltage reading takes a few seconds.

Issue is a lot better with my 175/87v or 189 but they are work meters so generally stay at work were the 113 lives in the car.

2. Wozza_au

Wozza_au Member

Just pop down to jaycar and pick up some wire, alligator clips and banana plugs to make up some custom leads. I tend to use the alligator clip on a long lead for the earth.....Jaycar also do heaps of different types leads for DMM most should be uni fit.
    Another handy bit of auto kit is a large pin with a ball head, use an alligator clip on the pin shank then use it to pierce wire insulation....

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

that plan B was kinda hoping there was a nice like 2mm banana socket i could use. I Do have a female insulated bananna socket that is semi permenent postion that sits under the dash in the fuse holder. Thats attached via 2m cable to some support under the dash all pretty rough but effective

4. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Yeah, you can get mini banana sockets (I've got a fistful of new ones lurking around somewhere) - problem with them is acquiring the mini banana plugs to match when you run out and need Just One More.

So just use standard "multimeter" sized ones.

And if you're going to the trouble of doing permanent or semi-permanent installs of Earthing test points in the vehicle, do a few of them - one under/in the dash, one in the boot, even one in the engine bay if you can keep in clean. Mainly because betcha balls One Day your multimeter leads won't be quite long enough to reach where you want them to, one day... and if you're reeeeally keen you'd ponder fitting one as an Earth/Chassis connection and one on the Negative power line.

Trap For Young Players on banana sockets like you want here though - you do know that fitting banana sockets for Earthing means you then have to make/acquire Banana Plug-to-Banana Plug leads to suit your multimeter, right?

Other suggest if/when you make up your own meter leads is go for the silicon-insulated super multicore/flexible cable. Exxxy but muuuuuuch betterer for meter leads...

5. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

I have 1000 banana to banana test leads.

As for silicon rubber cable work pays for it.
    But hobby king is were I’ve bought it before I’ve tested it to 1kv before zero issues. (Place cable in water with each end hooked up to test set with return it water) same method we use to test electrical gloves.

Engine bay I’ve actully drilled 3mm (or there about) holes into my battery terminal. Simple and effective probe will wedge in there while I measure xxx.

The semi permanent banana plug is prolly 2m long. As it’s a single cab it gets were it’s needed then just twisted back into a birds nest when done.

6. mtma

mtma Member

1kV test voltage is like 200V CAT I rating.

Also I guess you didn't rip test the hobbkying leads either, they tear just from a run over by blunt fingernails.

7. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

1kv is all I need arround home I can crank it till it pops if wanted.

Work pays for the good stuff just they get mad if a 100m roll goes missing. But hoppy king sells 20m rolls which I use a lot arround here.

I also tend to use a lot of speaker wire for 12v stuff in the car. It’s flex, cheap and generally robust enough for my needs.

The hobby king arnt to bad tear wise I doubt a finger nail could damage them. But will check tomorrow I just cut a heap of it out of the car neating up my switch pannels (2 lots of 2 carlings on each side of the wheel) plus a extra little micro momentary switch on wiper stalk.

8. mtma

mtma Member

I've literally fingernail stripped it on a couple of occasions. It's a bit of cheap copper for 12V type stuff but I'd never recommend it to anybody for anything else.

The sheath they use is made of the sort of material that keeps tearing once you get a nick in it.

9. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

I shall hit the stuff ripednoutbof my car till it pops tomorrow and give it a whirl.

10. mtma

mtma Member

I'm not going to change my negative recommendation either way, it's a responsibility thing...

Back at the topic on hand, if you have some deustch size 16 contacts around they will probably work as a convenient multimeter poker point.

11. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Yea don’t get me wrong. I’m taking what you said seriously. Hence me wanting to test them further.

Yea work doesn’t stock Deutsch connectors.