Multiple AP using the same SSID

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by jas0li, May 21, 2019.

1. jas0li

jas0li Member

Hi all,
    Not sure if this if this is the correct forum to post this.

a friend gave me a couple of rukus 7372 AP, and was wanting to add them to my network so that i get better wireless signal at home.
    this is what i thinking of doing router to the rukus AP (1 upstair and 1 downstair) so that i can get better signal
    the question would be is it possible to have the same SSID for both APs??

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

You should be able too.. most other brands support that.. I highly doubt rukus would buck that trend

3. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

If you have the capability of a controller setup, you can also play with roaming options.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You don't need support for it, you can just make the SSID the same.

You'll just need to adjust the power levels for the routers so they don't overlap too much.

Support for roaming between AP's is done through the operating system of the device, easy to adjust the aggressiveness on a computer, but I don't think you can adjust it on a phone which makes lowering the power of the access points more important, otherwise it won't let go of the AP with low reception.

5. Sunder

Sunder Member

There's two ways of passing between APs.

The enterprise formal way, is called Mobility Domains. In this case, your device sees only one AP, and the AP controls which one you are paired with. It even maintains sessions between APs. Google have recently made this available to home users, but are calling it WiFi Mesh: https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi_learn

The other way is just to have two APs with the same name and password, and your mobile device chooses which one to connect to. Technically, you could call one AP "Upstairs" and one "Downstairs" and set whatever password you want on them, and your device should still move between them according to the algorithm, so having the same name and password isn't that much of an advantage In fact, seeing which one you're paired to might be handy. And as above, it doesn't always work well depending on the operating system.

Edit: Just checked for you, it seems Rukus does support 802.11r (Fast Handoff) https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000006475

[​IMG]

Article is about how to disable, but I'm sure you can figure out the reverse.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    darknebula likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    jas0li

jas0li Member

thanks for all the suggestions.
    will give it try :)