Must have Guitar Pedals

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Ravennoir, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

So Ive been learning for a while, and thought I would start looking into pedal effects, but the list of all the different ones is huge

So I thought a thread might be good for the experienced players to share with all us noobs :)

- What do you recommend as "Must Have" pedals
    - Which brands do you like (and why)
    - What sort of price bracket would they slot into

Thanks guys :thumbup:

2. nickeax

nickeax (Banned or Deleted)

title

To me the question is like, which lollies are must have. Effects pedals are audio lollies and none of them are must have. ;) I own a few pedals, so all I can do is give a run down on them and what I think of them. Here goes...

Delays-ays-ays-ays: I have the Livingstone delay (it's the Aldi one) and I really like it. It's nice and warm, the kind of warmth that I get from my old Yamaha SPX90. So, IMHO, well worth the price if you can find one. I also have two analogue delays and they are both similar. There's an MXR Carbon Copy and an EHX Deluxe Memory Man. These both have a nice warm and slightly faded reproduction of the original (which is what you want). My digital delays are the Boss DD-7 and a Digitech Digital Delay. They make very nice, clean copies of the signal and possess many useful features, like looping and precise control over the delay time. VERDICT: Either one of the digi delays is a winner in my book and their modelling of analogue units is spot on. Don't bother with expensive, yet featureless analogue delays, go digi and pwn the world.

Modulation: The Dunlop Univibe and the Fulltone Choralflange do it for me in this department.

Fuzz
    I think it was Jimi Hendrix and Mick Ronson whom inspired me to get fuzzy. My first fuzz pedal was the Fulltone '70 and it's still a favourite of mine. Based on a very late 60s Arbiter Fuzzface I believe, it reacts differently from amp to amp and responds really well to variations in guitar volume. It's what I'd describe as a warm fuzz without any spikey bits, but that's what I wanted! Next I bought an EHX Big Muff Pi and I think it's great for searing, ringing power chords from driven amps and bridge pickup lead work. Once again, it's not a spikey fuzz, but has lots of body and a thick driven tone. For the real spikey, marshmallowy 60s fuzz tones, I bought a MGM London fuzz. It's good for that 'Satisfaction' primitive buzz saw tone! And then there's the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, which is in a league of it's own! The variations possible with this pedal are immense, and I often find myself toying with the controls for lengthy periods, chasing that perfect tone. The trap is, it's capable of much more than just fuzz. You'll find yourself dialling up nice warms drive tones and edgy distortion, which makes it a trap for wasting time! I also own a Biyang Fuzz which is a nice pedal, but it's very close to the Big Muff, with the addition of a three mode selector switch. I haven't spent a lot of time with the pedal though, so I'll leave my comments about it at that.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I understand everyone has the ones they like to use, Hopefully with a few different views, there might be some that might appeal to others

4. Pancakes1983

Pancakes1983 Member

These days I only go for pedals that have the pure pass through, i.e. when they are off it's a straight connection to the amp, i've found having 4 - 5 boss pedals that don't have this feature cause's the clean channel to sound murky.

5. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

I have a few less-common personal favourites, but if you like fuzz, the Danelectro Foxx clone is too cool and too cheap to pass up.

6. Alex.W

Alex.W (Banned or Deleted)

Well to be honest.. theres a few pedals i think every guitarist should have on his pedal board.. or at least in one of his gear cases...

Boss TU-2 - Its THE Tuner. Hardly anyone uses other tuners (unless they got it cheap/free) the TU-2 is unbeatable.

Ibanez Tube Screamer - Everyone (almost) has a use for it. Even metal heads use it to add tone, not so much distortion... Many of our favorite crunch sounds are TS based..

Boss DD-X - Easy to use, reliable, quality delay. Anyone who uses delay has used one or another brands equivalent.

Crybaby wah - if you use wah and dont want to spend HEAPS but want to spend enough for a quality pedal, you will end up with one..

I use all of those pedals.. Well actually i rock a Boss Gigadelay.

On top of that, i use a Line6 M12 for all my modulations and some other weird things (compressor, gate, some of my other distortions)

7. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

There are plenty of more accurate tuners out there.

8. break

break Member

Volume Pedal.

I've normally used the inbuilt one in various floorboards (Line6 Floorboard-II and Peavey Sanpera II), but it is the single pedal I couldn't live without.

9. Edstructicon

Edstructicon Member

MT-2 - makes any amp metal :D

Still need to get my hands on a decent wah, probably a cry baby.

10. nickeax

nickeax (Banned or Deleted)

I can highly recommend the Fulltone Clyde (non-deluxe).

11. Boneman

Boneman Member

My own choices based on what Ive owned/used. Sure theres boutique stuff and better choices, but this is what I suggest -

Noisegate - ISP Decimator

Tuner - Korg PitchBlack , T.C. Electronic Polytune

E.Q. - Boss GE-7

Boost/OD/Dirt - MXR GT-OD, Maxon 808, Boss OD2 , Ibanez TS9, Digitech Bad Monkey. (some of these can be modded to sound better, Analogman etc.)

Phaser - MXR EVH 90 , old Phase 90 script logo , EHX Small Stone

Flanger - MXR EVH 117 , EHX Electric Mistress

Delay - EHX Memory Man/Boy ($$$$$) , Digitech DigiDelay , Boss DD-3

Chorus - EHX Small Clone

Beware once you start buying, you will get bad GAS. :leet:

12. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Too many choices, depends on what music you play, who you want to cover, etc...

WahWah
    Delay
    Distortion (Depending on amp)
    Overdrive (Depending on amp)
    Reverb (Depending on amp)
    Chorus
    Flanger
    Tremelo
    Ocatve
    Phaser
    Ring Modulator
    Noise Gate

the list goes on...

I like to dabble at everything, here is what i have:
    Volume - Dunlop DVP1
    Tuner - Boss TU2
    Wah - Dunlop 535Q
    Phaser - MXR Phase 90
    Ring Modulator - DOD Gonkulator
    Octave - Boss OC3
    EQ - MXR 6 Band
    Flanger - Boss BF2
    Chorus - Boss CE1 i think
    Tremelo - Boss TU2
    Delay - Boss DD6
    Noisegate - ISP Decimator G String

All into 4 channel Marshall JVM

13. joshi

joshi Member

are they memory boy/man worth the money?

14. Quinn

Quinn Member

I know my rig is never complete without the following:

Big Muff - big FAT distortion works every time
    Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer - tone, baby... tone!!!
    Boss CE-3 Stereo Chorus
    Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator
    Boss DD-2/DD-3 Digital Delay - one set to delay length and switch, the other set to momentary mode to hold on for repeats
    Crybaby Wah - don't leave home without it.

15. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

I don't really think any pedal is essential depending on what amp you have and what sound you're after.

If I can be bothered plugging stuff in, it will be a delay, some kind of warm boost and a volume pedal.

Delay - Not too fussed, my Boss DD-7 did the job well for a decent price.
    Boost - Home made tube boost
    Volume - anything does the job

Wah's shit me, but I own 2 :lol:

16. dasbok

dasbok New Member

I've got a Memory Boy, and I love it, but also realise, I never use one delay by itself at a time. (wait no, I lie, used it on its own before, sounded awesome as well then)

When combined with a Digitech Digital Delay, it sounds good.

Just got to remember, they don't have a "huge" range of time (500ms I think).

17. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

18. CB434

CB434 Member

Not a fan of Behringer but two "cheaper" pedal brands I am a fan of are Biyang and Danelectro.

The Biyangs are in metal casing and true bypass. The Danelectro are plastic casing, buffered bypass but have low noise. Both have really good tone IMO and low noise (or other bad points) for the price. I chose a Danelectro EQ over a Boss EQ for lower noise.

For example.. for the Biyang OD.. you are getting a Tubescreamer clone in a metal casing, true bypass, which includes 3 op amp chips (for your modding choice) in a socket (no solder required).. and a 3 way switch for 3 different OD voicings. So it's like a modded TS9 but a fraction of the price. I payed $60 or so for mine, so I could have gotten 3 of these compared to one TS9.

The worst thing about Biyang is the name, and the fact that they are Chinese, everything else is top notch. They even use the same op amp chips as the high end pedals.

The Danelectro Cool Cat series is true bypass and metal casing. For example the Cool Cat distortion is an improved Boss DS-1.

There are clips on youtube of all of these pedals to compare. In alot of cases, the differences are small.

For the record, I think you can get away with these cheaper delays, chorus, OD's or EQ pedals (we are spoiled for choice these days, compared to 70s and 80s) but one thing not to skimp on is a wah.. like a Dunlop, EB, or Vox, you really get what you pay for in those, compared to the cheaper ones.

I like the higher priced pedals as well, but for those looking to save some cash, it's nice to be able to get 90 or 95% of the tone for a fraction of the price. Having a good ear for tweaking knobs helps make up some of the difference as well.

MI Audio, MXR (Dunlop), Keeley, Boss, Digitech etc etc all make great pedals. Although the higher up you go, the more "boutique" it is, meaning higher price for less features and less value for money. For example there are some OD's out there for $300-400. Hand wired and blessed with cat urine, with the right enchantments said while the moon is in the right part of the sky but in the end, still a guitar pedal.

The Biyang OD was a god send for me.. because if I wanted to mod a proper Tubescreamer and send it over to the USA it would be extra funds, with no way of testing the mods.. with the Biyang I tried all 3 op amp chips and found I DIDN'T prefer the one that is commonly used in TS9 mods (JRC4558D). The "SRV 808" one. Was too fuzzy with my setup, the one I liked more was smoother when used as a boost for higher gain. More like Satriani. And I figured all this out without having to send it overseas or pay high $$. For someone else, especially if you were wanting to make a poor mans fuzz pedal, it'd be perfect.

We are spoiled for choice these days. I'll probably get a higher end OD eventually, but need to get pickups mods, speakers mods and other more important things first. :) Tone chasing for the win.

19. atmo

atmo Member

If you're unsure what types of effect you want in your loop, I suggest starting with a multi effect unit, something like a Boss ME-50/70 or Zoom G2.1/7.1 (second hand if possible).

I started with a second hand ME-50 and just added pedals to the loop until I had enough that I didn't really use it's functions any more, at which point I sold it for roughly what I paid for it.

20. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

My chain always includes:

Wah - Crybaby From Hell at the moment, upgraded from the Weeping Demon. Keen to try a Buddha Wah out though.

Overdrive - Crowther Hotcake at the moment and I doubt I'll change anytime soon, upgraded from the Ibanez TS7.

Distortion - Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion at the moment

Modulation - T-Rex Twister chorus/flanger

Delay - Ibanez DE7 in Echo mode but I'm not fussy, anything analogue will do me.

I can recommend any of these pedals.