My 2nd P180 Watercooling project (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Omarko, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Omarko

Omarko Member

Hi guys

I have decided to take up on another project on my P180, as some of you may remember I already had a Swiftech Ultra plus water kit in my P180 with the RAD hanging of the back of the case.

This time, I decided to take another approach.

Two loops:
    loop 1 for the CPU
    - HWlabs GT Stealth XFLOW 360 Rad (got it because its thin)
    - D-Tek Fuzion block
    - DDC-1T with Radiical top
    - Excellon tubing , nickel barbs, all 1/2"
    - 3 x Vantec Stealth-2 fans on Scythe Kama meter bay fan controller
    - T-line with filler port (did not install the port yet)

loop2 for the GPU
    - Swiftech MCR220-QP with RADBOX
    - DDC-1T with Radiical top
    - Still deciding on the block , prol EK or DD full cover
    - Excellon tubing , nickel barbs, all 1/2"
    - 2 x NING JIE fans (rebagged Yate loon), very goo fans , nice and quiet, powerfull
    - T-line with filler port (did not install the port yet)

Because the P180 is so tight for space, I have decided to make few modifications to change that.

The pictures are HERE. (56K warning, optimised for high res)

As you can see from pics, I have removed the middle section in the bottom chamber and the front bit which allowed me to install a fan at the front of the HDD bay, and I adjusted the rails on the HDD rack to push it away from the fan little bit.

I have also cut out holes to route the cables from the back. The ripple RAD needed 3 holes on the top, which was the hardest part of the project.

Also a small modification was made to the Glacialtech GT-F1 fan card. I have painted it black and created a shroud for it so its sucking air from outside and blowing it on the GPU.

The result can be seen on the last few pics all the way on the left.

I will install the GPU loop in next couple weeks once I get my GPU block and will post more pics.

Also the T-Line needs a filler port mounted on the top of the case so it goes down nice and straight.

2. Blue_muppet

Blue_muppet Member

Very nice, I have P180 case and for the most part its fantastic, but that fan between the PSU spot and the HDDs down the front annoys me, better off taking it out like you have and putting a 120 in the front where there is the spot for it.

The dremel work up the top looked rough but with the fans in place it looks pretty pimp.

Would you consider cooling the northbridge?

3. OP
    OP
    Omarko

Omarko Member

Drilling holes in the top was the hardest part ... yes, it is rough :( I wish I had better tools but its covered now so you can't see anything .. Plus the case will sit under my desk (not ideal for the exhaust but can't do anything about it).

Although the holes are little bit smaller than the fan internal diameter, its ok, because there is about 1.2cm distance between the RAD fins and the fans and its all insulated around the edges of the rad so there are no air leaks and the airflow is maximised. I hope I explained myself clearly lol ... its like a one big shroud there.

I have considered cooling the north bridge but since I don't overclock so much, I won't do it. I have 2 x 40mm quiet fans that I will put on top once I install the 2nd loop.

Unless .... you guy think it will add to my e-penis , in which case I will order the radiical chipset block and put it in the first loop :)

4. [SMAK]Critter

[SMAK]Critter Member

stop inspiring me to watercool dammit... I used you getting out of it to hamper my ambition to do it...

looking good...:thumbup:

5. h4xx0r

h4xx0r Member

Good one Omarko... i just installed my damn watercooling, now you're making me eye the top of my case so i can drill a hole in it

Curse you Omarko, Curse you.

cheers

h4x

6. OP
    OP
    Omarko

Omarko Member

LOL ...

thats how I felt when I saw the triple RAD in a P180 pics ...

I can't wait to get the full cover GPU block and install the 2nd loop. I will use different coolant colour and I hope there wont be too much tubing in the case... we'll see ....

I gotta say ... its working quite nice ... I get delta of around 18C for a C2D at 3.2Ghz with fans at 800rpm which is INAUDIBLE.

7. [SMAK]Critter

[SMAK]Critter Member

what was the delta on your last setup that you werent very happy with?

8. OP
    OP
    Omarko

Omarko Member

I can't say I was not happy with it... it was bit worse then my current set up , but then agian, it was different set of components.

9. INerTIal

INerTIal Das Uber LemMinG

How has taking the middle fan plate out of the bottom of the case affected the structural integrity?

And how did you get it out?

10. OP
    OP
    Omarko

Omarko Member

the metal sheet are very strong, I see no difference ....

you have to drill out the bolts on top and bottom ... its very easy ...

11. INerTIal

cool, might do it to mine.
    Thinking of getting the p182 when the black version of that hits australian shores though.

12. azz

azz Member

As far as I know, already been shipping in Black P180 boxes for a few months.

Workmate got P180B and it was a P182, with external fan speed selector and WC holes. Love the cable management on the mobo tray too.

13. INerTIal

Yeah, I just checked U-mart's site and it would appear they have now got the p182 black in store. so will be getting one once my finances can flex to afford it.

14. peterz

peterz Member

I bought a P180B about 3 weeks ago and it's a P182 :)
    Has the watercooling holes, fan speed selectors, cable management, etc..

Too bad some of my PSU cords aren't as long as they should be ! :(

15. INerTIal

Dayum, mildly annoyed at that. Oh well. planning on turning my current p180b into HTPC box anyway.

16. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

i'm debating on whether to mod my P180B to have the cable management (which is the main feature i want) or sell it and move to an Antec 900 which would be a cinch to fit watercooling in... unlike the P180.

17. OP
    OP
    Omarko

Omarko Member

well guys .. the block is on its way and I;ve got all the other parts :) so I will be posting few more pics up soon with two loops :)

very exciting !

18. sparkiekosten

sparkiekosten Member

Mem cooling

Nice job on the water cooling.
    Where will you fit the other rad?
    I guess the piccies will reveal all.:)

Now for my question :confused:
    how did you fit your ram cooler in there?
    I have one of those ram coolers but my graphics card gets in the way of the bottom clip.

19. OP
    OP
    Omarko

Omarko Member

to answer your question about the RAM cooler, I have simply CUT OFF the clips and use a simple rubber band to hold it on the base, its very firm and my case does not get moved around. I have to say I have to down volt them to maybe 9V or so as at 12V they are getting too loud to my liking.

I have installed the EK BLOCK on the 8800GRX last night ... I will try to complete the loop this afternoon if I manage to get off work early. Weekend is looking to be a busy one so might not have time to do it then ...

Will post pics as soon as its all finished.

PS: RAD for the 2nd loop will be at the back of the case using a RADBOX.

20. OP
    OP
    Omarko

Omarko Member

I installed the 2nd loop .... its still bleeding but I added couple pics (all the way at the end - page 11) LINK to PICS