1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

My Astro City Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Revenger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Nice to see the monitor up and running!
    Well done mate, even if there are still some kinks to iron out it's great progress. :thumbup:

2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Work is continuing slowly as I lost motivation to do wiring after soo much of it but a little a day or so.

Here's the player 1 to Kaimana still need to wire up and sleeve the player two wires to this.
    MVIMG_20211028_143909-02.jpeg

Here is the control panel, need to do a bridge to player two start with LEDs and button, ground.
    MVIMG_20211103_140816-01.jpeg

You can see how tedious this is and why I decided to back off a little as it was a bit to boring and just didn't want to force myself.

But it's getting done bit by bit and very clean wiring.
    First picture looks a bit of a mess currently but I assure you it will be very clean and sleeving and soldering all the wires takes a while.

So currently where I am and I'll be starting on the led connectors soon where I'm going to redo the cables shorter so they are flat runs between buttons.

adz likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Little more work today to show off.

Player 1 breakout board is done, I replaced the broken terminal connectors, it's soldered into the plug end for buttons as I looked at various ways and this seemed the best way given what I was dealing with and didn't want to have two separate wires going into each port which would be messy when changing configs.

The soldered wires underneath have a bead of hot glue on them for support not shown.

Need to do player two but will need to mount the boards before that so I can get alignments etc.
    MVIMG_20211104_173237-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20211104_161710-01.jpeg

Also I clipped off the Kaimana top pins safety etc as they are prone to bending, as I'm using the header underneath and if I get anything like the Brook Ultimate Fighting Board in the future, it's all using the header, so I can swap the Kaimana's between devices that way
    MVIMG_20211104_162624-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20211104_173216-01.jpeg

So this is the level of detail I'm going to when doing this.

Should have player 1 wired up soonish as I need to wire it to the CP wires I did.

Thinking of buying the pins for the led plugs and just clean wiring that rather than soldering wires together would be much neater, will have to see what pins they are.

Overall slow progress not as fast as earlier with wiring as I've backed off pushing myself but it's getting done.

adz, Trizae and elvis like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

The pins for the Kaimana are JST PH 2.0 according to Sandy at Paradise Arcade Shop, so I ordered a couple kits, will be end of January or so but can wait and I can use it temporary wired with the current wires just won't as neat as what I'll be doing eventually.

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Wired up the UVC today to a VGA plug I got yesterday and ran it through the J-Pac testing modes the UVC can output and my findings are below.

The findings are interesting.

Here are the Dip switches on the UVC and here are my findings through the J-Pac.
    snip.png

Modes through J-Pac,
    6 on / 7 on / 8 on - signal
    6 on / 7 on / 8 off - no signal on monitor
    6 on / 7 off / 8 off - no signal on monitor
    6 off / 7 on / 8 off - signal
    6 off / 7 off / 8 off - signal

Direct all modes seem to work though the H Sync Polarity may be artifacting a little.
    24khz through the UVC the J-Pac won't recognise.

So appears its the H Sync Polarity from the input that needs to be negative through the J-Pac and better for the monitor with converters etc, when Sync is separated and I assume my PC is positive with the active HDMI adaptor, whether I can get negative through the active HDMI and CRT Emu driver I don't know.

Trizae likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Wanted to post a update on what's going on.
    Work has unfortunately stalled.
    Still recovering from being sick and have fatigue, low energy levels etc.

Wiring on player 1 is nearly done, have the grounds to organise and rewire as I messed up then that's ready to test the Pandora box and single player games, player two will be after once I work out where I need to mount the breakouts etc.

I'm getting another donor Jamma harness, it's just easy to take the coloured wires of that, plus this one comes with buttons I probably won't use for anything, was the same price as a harness without buttons.

I'm getting a YPBPR to Scart / RGBs converter, the RGBs outputs I want to test how well they are on the monitor.

So I'm not going to have this thing somewhat basically complete by my birthday on Thursday which I had hoped, being sick, fatigue and energy / emotion levels are to blame.
    If I was working at the level I was back in June then there would have been some hope.
    Also the more I do, the more work I realise needs to be done in areas.

The arcade will be completed.
    Here is the current situation of everything.
    Monitor works, sitting next to the arcade on a table.
    Control panel, mostly wired player 1 still some more to do.
    Back panel, needs modifying for speaker sockets.
    Speakers need to finish modifying the speaker mounts.
    Fluro starter is here and have a tube so need to mount speakers first.
    Coin mech needs finishing.

Then install as needed and so extras and the admin panel etc.

So there will be no targets to get this done, it's when I feel up to it and not feeling soo messed up.

The whole lack of energy, fatigue and stuff due to mental health and stuff is very real and I hate being like this as well as having the issues lack of social life, relationship, friends etc, especially around this time of year.

adz, CRTified and Trizae like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I pulled myself to finish Player 1 buttons over the weekend and have been testing the pandora box despite having 3 buttons out of the 8 working, others are 4-5 then aux buttons not wired up harness side yet.
    Also put the threaded inserts onto the speaker mount with kneed it just letting it set for a few days before some light sanding and painting.

Will need to go to Bunnings get some angle for a replacement harness mount bracket at the CP.

Need to work out how to mount the breakouts, was thinking project boxes but then I could do a plate or something instead ideas?
    Will show a pic soon of it.

Trizae and BlueRaven like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Some updates.

Not much had happened over the last month various reasons, fatigue, inspections, my birthday which way emotionally painful and summer heat.

But last few days done a little more.

First of the speaker mounts I need to fix a couple inserts I messed up so now awaiting more inserts from China so that will be January or so.

Fluro I plan to look at this weekend cleaning with Brasso.

Monitor and back panel was fitted in, this is so I can do the next stages.

MVIMG_20211208_141009-01.jpeg MVIMG_20211208_141047-01.jpeg MVIMG_20211208_233428-01.jpeg

Can anyone guess what this is?

MVIMG_20211210_153018-01.jpeg

It's the sub stand and will house the powerboard and supply under it, photo of it is upside down for the uneducated.

The way in thinking of bonding it is pop rivits and jbweld.

The bottom of the image I need to cut out a slot on on the top that are 3cm roughly so the sides go onto the coin box which I'll pop rivit in same as how the coin box is joined.

The bottom I'll screw into the base of the shell to keep that down.

How I'm going to secure the sub to this I don't know ideas?

Hope you like my idea on the stand.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  9. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

How the sub psu etc stand will go together, how I'm going to mount the sub to this I am unsure.
    The 2 bits sticking out at the bottom will be mounted to the sides of the coin box.

MVIMG_20211214_182558.jpg

adz and BlueRaven like this.
  10. BlueRaven

The stand is a good idea mate, nicely done.
    I always like getting stuck into a fabrication project to distract me from things that are stressing/worrying me. Focusses the mind. :)
    I don't have a clear mental picture of how this bracket will be installed inside the cabinet...
    but if you want the sub to hang from it and you don't mind drilling some screws into the sub cabinet, maybe you could put some keyhole slots in those longer rails?

11. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Thought about drooling into the sub itself (meant drilling I wouldn't drool into it :Paranoid:) though I'll have to dismantle it as it's glued together or something so would be hard to do.

How it attaches to the coin box is just the straight bits will be pop rivited into the sides or screwed depending.
    Will need to take the coin box back out to do this but that's fine.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  12. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Mostly done for the initial construction.
    Need to mount it to the coin box sides and base, put the sub on, test for vibrations and adjust anything for that, jb weld it to be more solid etc.
    But here's how it will sit, BlueRaven now you can see how it will sit inside the cabinet :leet: I knew fron the start how everything was goiong to go.

MVIMG_20211215_144307.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    adz and BlueRaven like this.
  13. BlueRaven

Oh so the sub just sits on top of the frame?
    Easy as, velcro tape. One long strip down each of the coin box rails.
    If you use the proper 3M stuff the cabinet would have to take a severe knock to dislodge the sub.

14. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea sub will sit ontop of this.
    Mainly concerned about if its ever transported with moving with the sub coming loose etc.

Also my PC is too big to fit in so wondering options.
    Was thinking a open frame and came across these, $30 shipped for a tray not too bad then I can just mount that in where the game board goes. (Just ordered one)
    s-l1600.jpg
    Gotta love the description making it sound like its something thats equisite and better than it actually is.
    Its cheap so don't expect too much but will do the job for me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  15. BlueRaven

"Full protection of graphics cards and electronic devices, can be firmly superimposed". Very good to know. :D:thumbup:

$30 delivered is pretty cheap though.
    Reminds me of the time I made my own rack mount tray out of an old generic mid-tower and a spare 2U rack shelf.

Rack_12.jpg

Fun project, but the one you ordered will be a lot less effort, and it looks a fair bit nicer too!

16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea thought about buying a cheap case and hacking it up.
    Looked at the different options even a mini PC, SFF etc.
    For the price can't really complain and I'll need to mount the drives etc.

Slowly getting there though only doing a few minutes at a time due to motivation, fatigue and wanting to think things through a bit more on some things.

17. BlueRaven

No rush bro, make your own timeline and revise as needed, focus on your health (mental and physical) first as that's the most important thing. :thumbup:

Re. mounting drives, will it all be solid state?
    Easy if so :D

18. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

One will be a SSD the other will be a standard drive as I need those terrabytes to store the sets haha.
    Shouldn't be too hard to mount them to the game board wood next to the tray, plus have some drive holder frames laying around.

Main thing is just energy, motivation, focus etc, not really playing any pc games and haven't for ages as a resault, though I do go onto VRChat a bit at times with some people.

19. BlueRaven

Yeah I tried to get into the discord thing, cbf tbh, I've decided it's not really my thing. But ping me on steam whenever if you feel like a chat.
    I've been in a bit of a weird mood re. gaming of late too... not really "bored with it" as such, just seem to keep finding better/more important things to do with myself... *shrug*

Anyway, one platter drive and one SSD should be easy to secure. :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Ordered some bolt and screws for the sub stand, my bain is slow at times due to how I feel so wanted to ponder a bit and decided m8 for the base m4 where it joines to the coin box.
    So start to mid Janurary will be updates on this when stuff srrives and that board.
    If the board isn't that great I can just get one of those flat trays or mod thios tray I'm getting then a PCI-E flex cable and mount the graphics card paralell to the mainbaoard thats a space saving option but will see, this should be fine.