My Astro City Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Revenger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. urbanvanilla

urbanvanilla Member

I'm also working on an Astro City cabinet. Mine has a dodgy repaint job around the control panel and front part chassis. Still debating about whether its worth taking it all off and repainting or at least just the chassis around/below the control panel.
    Not even sure how the fibreglass underlay comes into play for repainting.

I think I've seen a few listings from the guy you purchased from on Gumtree, selling a few working and monitorless versus city cabinets at the moment.

If you're looking for a replacement control panel within the country, this guy looks to be doing some really great work:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SEGA-Astro-City-Control-Panels-NEW-/121623931140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c5159e904

I also agree that you pretty much need to get more native arcade buttons i.e. sanwa OBSF 30s. This site is based in Perth but you still can't pick up from store. Shipping is relatively cheap though.

As for the rest, I guess if you have a working JAMMA wiring set up going (as I see you have the original PSU) then you're pretty set to do whatever you want, original PCBs, MAME set up via a JPAC etc. I would probably ditch the megatouch system because the games seem kind of lame but it does have the touch screen system so that could be interesting for you to work on somehow.

A good friend of mine gave me an ATi HD 4550 so that I could use CRTEmudriver and GroovyMAME which is a great way of running MAME in this kind of cabinet with the 15/25khz screen, but not sure if your Makvision is a trisync kind of monitor or more like a normal computer screen (which makes it a bit harder to get things looking authentic, but might make it much easier when you're trying to run things that are a bit more modern like Street Fighter IV, etc).

Also. in regards to your last post, I guess that's true, issues with lighting and non-windows systems, but GroovyMAME on Windows 7 x64 is pretty much the best you can get at the moment for running things close to their original form. I think the linux equivalent of GroovyArcade (the distro based on the previous GroovyMAME) actually has more input lag than the former I think. Between us though, I don't really care enough about the fine details.

Edit: ah totally missed your long post that mentions noodleshirt already, oh well. the guy does good work, worth a second mention.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Thanks for the reply urbanvanilla.

Yea he is is a great guy, he is trying to get rid of the versus willing to let 2 go for $150 for both to me to anyone I know that wants them as is, as a special. Images are end of first post

When I got this system he kept offering me to buy them off him if I wanted extra parts etc.

Just trying to get my head round everything currently and what's going to work for me with ideas I have.

I'll check out that site may be cheaper than paradise for buttons etc I'll still use them for the leds though I think. Seems stick is out of stock at the moment, also doesn't seem to carry everything I would need.

Purchasing won't start for a couple weeks but just sussing it all out so I know what's needed and can just go ahead and get when the time comes.

Megatouch I want to check out and see and email Merit once I tested the system about things. It's something different at least.

Would be cool to get the touch drivers if that's possible or if it's native etc for my own PC setup will have to see what's on the HDD and what Merit can supply.

This monitor is the VGA edition.

Also seems theres a comport connector inside I never traced wires yet which could be the touch, bit I thought that was USB.

In the end what system I end up with I'm not sure seriously thinking that all in one just for cave games then go a PC later.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

The Astro cleaning ladies and a non booting board

Yesterday was a major initial cleaning day just to finish getting the main case apart and wash everything out, not to fully polish all the scuff marks off.

So I got there to this condition of the cabinet, much the same as one of the last images.

Click to view full size!

We started stripping the rest of the stuff off the shell.
    Here are the wheels I said really need replacing.

Click to view full size!

Finally the case was in two after figuring out screwdriver heads which wasn't that hard.

Click to view full size!

Was quite filthy inside but not as bad as other cabinets I've seen.

Click to view full size!

Here is the marquee in progress quite a bit of turpentine to loosen up the double sided pads.

Click to view full size!

Then some light prying to get the marquee off, you need a lot of patience for this as these are really stuck on.

Click to view full size!

Finally it came off after 30-40 mins gentle prying work.

Click to view full size!

While my dad worked on the marquee I washed the case out with some Domestos which smelt like pool water.

Click to view full size!

Afterwards a hose down and left to lightly dry.

Click to view full size!

While I was finishing my dad was polishing where the marquee was.

Click to view full size!

Around here we noticed a lot of caked on dust on the inside and sides due to the inside being a very rough finish and we went round the whole inside with turpentine giving it a good wipe down as a extra clean no images unfortunately.

Due to the inside finish I feel it needs a coat of lacquerer or smooth gloss paint to give a smooth finish for easy cleaning and maintenance in the future, the outside we will decide later but that's priority for now.

After a few hours work this is what we ended up with.

Click to view full size!

Then I went home took the Megatouch board with me.

I tested the board out first by stripping everything off it, I get a single beep and nothing else and power button won't turn it back off.

From Googling the board has a custom bios and I found some technical stuff about the whole system.

Click to view full size!

I took the hdd, put in another system imaged it first and then tested it on that system as the boot device.

It started booting.

Click to view full size!

Eventually got to a GUI.

Click to view full size!

But this is as far as I got to, connecting the I/O board to USB stand alone with power connected and trying again it started booting then reboots with a maintenance configuration message in a loop.

So It appears to may need that specific motherboard configuration.

Whether the touch controller which is a Com port device works stand alone on a PC I don't know, controller and screen are still at dads.

If all else fails I could possibly sell the parts off stand alone to get some money back for those with megatouch systems.

I couldn't access all the linux files as I was running linux and didn't have the user privileges but noticed quite a few references to Penthouse Foxxi Boxxi around the file system which Googling tells me it was a gem cascade game where eventually a picture of a cover girl gets uncovered as you connect the gems.

So what's next, testing monitor and giving the inside a coat of lacquerer or getting someone to spray one on so its no longer rough and easy to clean in the future.

As for led's I now know I need 2 solutions one for if I use a pc, if I use windows and one for everything else.

Not everything is clean yet so most things and all metals still need cleaning and polishing, only the core bulky shell parts are clean but I am going to work on that first before doing the rest so we can start to put it back together.

Feel free to message me, pm etc link this around or whatever.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Have some updates.

We tested the monitor yesterday, looks to be dead, appears the filaments or something lighting up the tube is gone.

Power is getting to the board as the led on the control buttons lights up and there's a little crackle from the screen but thats it no glow and no picture etc.

The place where I got it from the guy has a versus city well a few of them, but one he is willing to go without game board etc that has 1 working monitor he says is perfect one on its way out both are original nanao, it seems the cabinet is complete and fully working with all controls etc, he has a game board in there atm but has it listed as is without the board for $500 and would prefer it to go to me for parts for the Astro.

Only thing is I'll be stuck with a versus city cab shell and mby buttons once I go RGB, this way which the versus city without the gear inside may be worthless to most people.

This may be a way out as I know monitors aren't cheap and if I was to buy the stuff myself separate it would cost more.

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Also yesterday I grabbed the touch controller its a 3M Microtouch EXII-1010SC-01 older drivers are available for XP and Linux and may work on above os's.

So there's hope getting that controller working.

Plugging it in testing the HDD again still didn't boot up and kept restarting for maintenance so its mobo hardware dependant. Without the USB I/O controller I can get to a GUI telling me there is no I/O interface.

The motherboard beeps once when turning on and thats it not even holding the power button will turn it off, Ill do more research and testing sometime and verify again.

So seems I'll be left with a bunch of parts in some areas I could mby resell.

No need to show images in this post I did take some yesterday but mainly as reference images.

Update: Megatouch HDD Assets

Searching the hdd for assets I have located all the megatouch assets images and sound files.

Including all the foxxi boxxi images you uncover while playing as they are all JPG files.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  5. lupin

lupin Member

6. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Just linked that to my dad who has the monitor to see about things.

Still tossing up a few things with the Versus City.

I contacted Urbansprawl on pm who did the recent Blast City worklog in here as we had been chatting on pm well before I posted my thread as I wanted to chat with a owner of a Sega cab about a few things before I got into it myself and just check in to see stuff with ideas and stuff.

He has 2 blasts and got one built up with a monitor from one of them the second he may try to get rid off to someone or scrap as I asked about it just to see what he is doing with the one he scrapped for parts just to get a idea myself.

So good we have options here and will see about things.

I toyed with the ideas of backing up the assets from the megatouch HDD though the images are small and nothing good to my tastes so to say in them, you can get better on google image search. But overall it was interesting to see how the assets are done.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

First extra purchases arrived today nothing special, the big important one I'll be doing later with all the control parts.

Today just got a original 100 Yen coin mech (I still need the microswitch), an extra full Jamma harness and 2 Jamma fingers all from Highway Entertainment.

The Jamma harness I will probably take bits off it I need and use the rest as spares which was the original intention as well as having a harness I can compare with. The harness itself has all the wire coding on it which is nice.

I really just needed to make up to the minimum purchase price after that 100 yen mech so thought an extra harness for the plugs and some needed fingers I couldn't go wrong as nothing else looked interesting to me at this stage.

The Jamma fingers I will need for when I run a PC etc.

The mech might need a little tweaking to get perfect but will sort that out when I actually have something running to test etc.

All the 100 Yen coins unfortunately I didn't get with my order, they are some of the spare change I had when I went to Japan in 2004 I still have the rest of the change 10 yen 500 yen 5 yen 50 yen and others here in a bag still.

My dad is going to drop the monitor into Jomac tomorrow, I'd go with him but need to just finish cleaning for inspection on Thursday morning.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Haven't had a reason to do a update until now in which there are some 'issues' to work through unfortunately.

But first I updated all the initial posts and will probably link some info later on things like Jamma harness pinouts store stuff etc etc for those who may use my post to help them. So any advice what I should add for that stuff is welcome.

Ok now onto a update which unfortunately isn't the best news situation moral wise.

We took the monitor into Jomac last week the next day got a call it was fixed, went paid for it and brought it back and tried it on a computer as I presumed it was the Makvision SVGA model as this is what I had been told and most research led to as it had a standard D-Sub connector and I presumed the Tri-Sync version had a different connector on it.

Monitor came on asked to check cable plugged it in on 800x600 on linux 60Hz refresh rate, a picture came on for a few seconds then everything went dead again with the monitor ticking as was mentioned to me.

My dad called them up and emailed them and got back a message this morning 3 am that it was told it's a Tri-Sync that can't do VGA resolutions and has no protections so the output and some power stuff was blown but its a relativly easy fix but this stuff is on the side for them as he is really busy with industrial stuff, all relvant info is above on the chassis model info sticker is in post #8, it states on the monitor 15-38Khz 50/60Hz half way down.

Also the megatouch system that came with it didn't have any kind of converter attached, the monitor ran straight off the inbuilt D-Sub port on the mobo, whether the bios was customised with resolution and sync rate I don't know.

Googling for info about the model number isn't telling me much at all, but those with the SVGA version can run 800x600.
    If I we did something wrong without realising then I'll accept this and costs and learn from it.

Whether the monitor has a persistent issue still which wasn't diagnosed and fixed by Jomac much like my dads car a month ago with the injectors I wouldn't know.

I hope to hear back from the guy I got the cab from with any info he can provide about things with the megatouch system that came with it and anything else as well as anyone here with knowledge about this stuff is appreciated.

Here's where things get are starting to get iffy moral wise and may end up hurting me emotionally and this project.

When we got it back my dad initially didn't want us to test the monitor at all, but just to store it until we were building everything up which would have been a month or two from now, likewise we could have had the same issue then.

He has also said that he is not going to go and take it back and get it fixed again until I supposedly know what I'm doing and know all about this stuff and we are installing everything properly.

Also it seems he has some moral and stuff about me doing this as you can see above,

He isn't keen on me using a proper monitor he would prefer me to use a normal cheap sub $200 computer LCD like BenQ. (That alone would need a lot of work to get it in the cabinet and a custom bezel etc)
    He had suggested that I waited until the monitor was checked out before deciding if I wish to go ahead or not with this cabinet refurb and doing anymore work and put anymore money into it.
    He has made points about using old stuff and costs of getting it working.
    This morning he sent a email half blaming me for not doing enough research on things or knowing what I was doing. I knew about Tri-Sync converters etc and if I knew this could have been Tri-Sync and not pc compatible I wouldn't have tried to test it.
    He has also asked me in the email this morning to give him a costing of how much this refurb is going to cost total for just the core setup with a parts breakdown.
    He has also made multiple points about this potentially costing 'more than its worth' and not worth the time or risk for old stuff.

Now here is the thing, I was prepared for quite a few costs and issues to pop up before starting this and have stated that many times I knew it may run a total of 1-2k to get finished but the costs spread over a year or so buying things here and there. I also knew monitor the was the biggest hurdle and that it could end up being messy sorting it out.

Also when my dad gets a itinerary of costs its obvious he would strongly suggest that I don't proceed with this and that he will choose not to help on what he feels is a cost blowout project with no real benefits, and try to pick up something basic without all the features within a budget instead if I wanted something similar or just go without while whining about costs and how I can't really afford it and that should use money elsewhere etc.

Overall I started this as a project for myself, I'm not a kid anymore as I'm 32 and was prepared to put in the work and effort to get this done. Sure I don't drive so I need him as transport etc and some advice etc on things.

The implications of things here could end up hurting me if he chooses not to assist anymore or taking things into his own hands feeling he has to save me from a bad decision and me losing a lot of my money etc.

Basically thats all there is to update on, so advice etc?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  9. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

What the fuck...

My opinion is worth little as I dont know the relationship between you and your father.

I got the impression that this was something you were doing with your old man as a father/son project. If I got that kind of attitude I would tell my dad thanks for your help, ill take it from here.

10. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

When I do projects my dad likes to kinda do stuff for me believing I cant do it properly myself and knowing he is better as stated somewhere above and granted I can be a bit uncoordinated and a clutz at times and not do things as nicely as someone else, painting, soldering, fabrication etc etc.

This whole thing was something I was wanting to do for years.

Sure at the moment I have this hurdle to work out monitor wise which isn't as smooth as I would like but that's just the major part of things and once this is all done the rest is easy.

Thing is I don't know the monitor capabilities as well as I should etc sent some messages out on Aussie Arcade just now someone said max was 640x480 for Toshiba screens.

Also sent a email to Wei-Ya asking about the C2929 chassis I found out about them today etc googling stuff from the chassis sticker they seem to be the makers. So interesting what they come back with.

The thing is there is lack of documentation in this area and I don't know if there is other issues that have been overlooked when it was being repaired which could happen.

My dad is just being overprotective of me regardless of my age, any parent here reading this could see that as well he is just concerned I will blow loads of money on this and end up wasting money and time with nothing to show in return.

Also he is probably frustrated and confused at things if it seems that I'm getting him to do all the work etc and other things going on for himself as well as all the various info etc about all this arcade monitor stuff would confuse him and hence be 'too complex' so its not worth it in that regard.

Especially that was early in the morning and Jomac's email to him may not have taken a few things into account with what chassis etc I was using being 3am and he had been working 14 hours straight, so obviously my dad seems to have slightly read more things into it as he also forwarded me the email.

The thing is I have never ventured into this territory before so I don't know as much as I could and info isn't easy to come by especially when there are different products like monitors. But I am learning and researching and the monitor is the big thing.

From what I can see that monitor covers the full range of stuff being a 15-38Khz monitor I don't know about that spec at the moment and was hoping to get something going initially using the pc resolutions and look into that stuff later to be able to show stuff correctly.

I half agree at this stage to leave the monitor as is and just do more research on it and just proceed as planned with the refurb to at least get the cabinet built up.

I'll have to have a talk with my dad on the phone about things.

11. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

On the monitor - if you've run it too high a resolution then you can cause physical damage but it shouldn't be irreparable. Jomac is the best in your half of Australia and should be able to advise.

On costs - as per the poster above I don't know how things work with your old man but trying to put a hard cost on it is hard because I guarantee you will come across more things. Things will stretch unfortunately.

12. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Thanks for the replies yea I understand things change with costs and expected things happen, I guess he wants a x figure roughly for just all the important hardware I'm getting, sticks buttons game system etc.

When I do projects my dad likes to kinda do stuff for me believing I cant do it properly myself and knowing he is better as stated somewhere above and granted I can be a bit uncoordinated and a clutz at times and not do things as nicely as someone else, painting, soldering, fabrication etc etc.

This whole thing was something I was wanting to do for years.

Sure at the moment I have this hurdle to work out monitor wise which isn't as smooth as I would like but that's just the major part of things and once this is all done the rest is easy.

Thing is I don't know the monitor capabilities as well as I should etc sent some messages out on Aussie Arcade just now someone said max was 640x480 for Toshiba screens.

Granted about the damaging of a monitor but I don't know if 800x600 for a few seconds untill it went off would have done that.
    So this is what I do need to find out currently and anyone with knowledge I'm keen to hear from pm etc.

Also sent a email to Wei-Ya asking about the C2929 chassis I found out about them today etc googling stuff from the chassis sticker they seem to be the makers. So interesting what they come back with.

The thing is there is lack of documentation in this area and I don't know if there is other issues that have been overlooked when it was being repaired which could happen.

My dad is just being overprotective of me regardless of my age, any parent here reading this could see that as well he is just concerned I will blow loads of money on this and end up wasting money and time with nothing to show in return.

Also he is probably frustrated and confused at things if it seems that I'm getting him to do all the work etc and other things going on for himself as well as all the various info etc about all this arcade monitor stuff would confuse him and hence be 'too complex' so its not worth it in that regard.

My comments above were things I had been noticing and my thoughts on what I expect the 'usual' outcome would be and has been in the past on things

Also as stated I kinda need transport of stuff and assistance in other areas as I don't have anyone else for that, no friends etc, i lost them all and cant meet anyone new etc.

Especially that was early in the morning and Jomac's email to him may not have taken a few things into account with what chassis etc I was using being 3am and he had been working 14 hours straight, so obviously my dad seems to have slightly read more things into it as he also forwarded me the email.

The thing is I have never ventured into this territory before so I don't know as much as I could and info isn't easy to come by especially when there are different products like monitors. But I am learning and researching and the monitor is the big thing.

From what I can see that monitor covers the full range of stuff being a 15-38Khz monitor I don't know about that spec at the moment and was hoping to get something going initially using the pc resolutions and look into that stuff later to be able to show stuff correctly.

I half agree at this stage to leave the monitor as is and just do more research on it and just proceed as planned with the refurb to at least get the cabinet built up.

I'll have to have a talk with my dad on the phone about things.

13. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Just got off the phone with my dad luckily he was half asleep.

Seems he just got confused about everything and mentioned what I knew etc that I sent a email off to Wei Ya etc today and asked for a photo of the Toshiba sticker so I can research the tube info for the specs of that.

I also told him what I knew about Tri-Sync and freq ranges etc I have learned a little off until now. I also mentioned the monitor was going to be the most messy part to sort out if it needed to be fully replaced or learning its capabilities etc and that these things can happen, everything else is fairly easy from what I can see.

He seems fine with it all now and is just concerned of if we did stuff and the monitor etc kept blowing but yea in the past the above would have happened that I was mentioning.

I know my post above was just me venting some frustrations on everything I had been noticing while trying to get my head round things.

So from here we continue the cabinet that plan is unchanged and on the side research more of the monitor etc.

So next work is just doing up the inside ourselves with some touch up paint that looks similar etc and a varnish coat to smooth for cleaning, non standard stuff that will make the cabinet be easy to maintain in the future as its inside stuff and not normally seen we can do that ourselves ands doesn't matter too much if its a little different with the varnish from stock.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Edit: Small update: Wei-Ya are going to send me some info tomorrow. Over at Aussie Arcade they told me to cop this on the chin as being new to all this I wouldn't have known, I'm using that thread for tech stuff hopefully this worklog will be a bit much to keep updated at multiple places.

I'll have the tube info in a couple days and schematics of the C2929 chassis etc tomorrow then we can work out what is what.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I mostly worked out stuff over the last few days so time to update this thread.

Firstly didn't do any work yesterday except take photos of the monitor planning to do some tomorrow.

Secondly I said I had plans for a kinda LCD for the marquee, I looked at the manual and there's some marquee holder screws at the top of the back this is meant to be for transparent card holder panels as you can screw them on like this.

I could make a holder that sits on the top and screws on just like the actual holders but with with a LCD in it it'll be removable so no hard modding done and can be replaced with a actual card holder if needed.

That would be after I get a working cab setup if I do do it but nice to know its possible.

Ok so now onto monitors the tube info is: Toshiba A68KJU96X

[​IMG]

Sega Info:

[​IMG]

I'm still not sure the monitor's capabilities but appears from a quick look to run 24Khz ex Daytona etc machine.

So the monitor or should say tube is more likely a trisync original or something than a multi frequency one.

I'm not too sure the best way forward from here so advice is always welcome.

In the end I'm wanting to run Mame, various older consoles through emulation etc.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  15. lupin

lupin Member

-24 at the end of the part number means 24 htz.

16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Ahhh yes the Sega model number.

Basically I knew it was 24k but don't know if it also can do 15k or whatever.

The thing is is this suitable for mame and older emulation purposes snes, n64, psx, neogeo and others? And worth me getting it refixed etc or should I find multi purpose 31K monitor?

Also how would I connect this thing up once fixed and make sure it doesn't die again.

I'd be using xxxx in one and a PC etc.

I kinda need to know how to proceed from here and what I should do.

17. lupin

lupin Member

As said before if you want to connect to a of then just get a j-pac. There it's just a matter of either a arcade vga card or a ati card with soft 15 or custom drivers.

If your going to ditch the monitor then it won't matter much.

Personally there is no way I'd replace my monitor in my Astro with anything else. The picture when there set up correctly is awesome.

18. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

We did some work today and got a initial coat of paint on the 2 insides of the case the top front we will do later, too tired as I am in evenings so will zombie out on GTA and do another post later about it all.

I know roughly what I want in that area with the ultimarc stuff I-Pac4 and possibly the LED interface and spinner, trackball interface later but will sort that out and inquire with them once I get closer to the build. I looked at their various options and the pros and cons of each thing and to me this seems the best and most flexible way to go about it for my requirements even if it's not the easiest or simplest where I would have to sacrifice some ideas.

As mentioned I'm planning a XXXX in one system possibly this or something like it to begin with.

Also the chassis has a VGA connector so in order to use something that used the Jamma harness I would need to convert the signal through that or a VGA scan converter.

Also I don't know much about setting this stuff up and running this as I have never done anything like it before so appologies if I don't seem to 'get it' and trying to find my way around, what will and won't work for my needs and how to really do it properly to my requirements.

Also I'm not sure the tube is fixed 24Khz which from my research some tubes are and can't do 15Khz.

So I don't know much about all of this or even running a snes emulator, physical PS2/1 etc on this stuff so this is why I'm asking around and trying to research.

So appologies again if I am very noob to this stuff.

19. lupin

lupin Member

Just buy a multi board and get everything working through the harness. Look around there are much cheaper basic multi boards than the one you listed. Or alternatively find a cheap board of any game for testing. If you plan on moving to a pc for emulation I'd wager that you won't use the multi board after swapping over.

Then when the time comes take out the board and plug in a j-pac. J-pac does the vga to cga conversion for you and into the jamma harness.

20. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I have PM'd Lupin describing my situation a bit more not to clutter up this thread with back and forth stuff.

I'll say publicly I'm still trying to figure out what the actual specs of the tube are, no-one has given me any info to go on with this some say that toshiba is a tri-sync the sega part number says 24Khz some say its fixed 24, and the chassis uses a D-Sub connector not Jamma also I have other ideas for how I want to use buttons etc than using a J-Pac as stated above, also there are quite a few scan converters on ebay which would probally be more sutible to my uses once I know what im dealing with and capabilities of everything.

Until I actually know what is going on in simple terms breaking down everything into easy to know tech chunks what each component does and is capable of etc and why etc instead of product and stuff recommendations I can't do much.

I have emailed Jomac asking for any info in a easy to understand and learn form.

So now onto painting and I need to put a disclaimer here for those easily upset of non stock mods and things differing a little from standard.

If you are easily offended and upset by alterations and things differing from standard please turn away from this thread, unsub now and don't come back cause from now on to project finish things will be be slightly different than true intended design.

If you are curious and want to know and see what happens you're welcome to stay.

I will try to keep the cabinet as stock where I can for the actual shell but things will differ, the admin panel mod is the only physical case modification apart from paint I plan to do which is very discreet and integrates into the main case look and design.

So now all pics taken with my phone i can get better later if wanted, first I bought paint which I need more off pricing is in second post, gloss black and gloss varnish for the inside of the shell.

Click to view full size!

This was the back before painting I sanded, wiped it lightly with some 180 grit and a couple other places harder just to prep the inside.

Click to view full size!

From here we painted and this is what it looked like after.
    This piece still looks natural in a way but more enhanced color after painting.

Click to view full size!

Here is before starting second piece, this needed quite a bit of rubbing down, underneath is black as standard on these cabs when I sanded it the black showed as you can see and orange dust which needed a damp cloth to clean up.

We also masked the labels to keep them intact, those that automatically came off due to the years we have put aside to put back on later.

Click to view full size!

And my dad starting work on the second piece.

Click to view full size!

Here is the first bit a little dry as you can see a second coat in some areas is needed.

Click to view full size!

Here is both pieces together at the end just placed, we're not screwing anything together until later once work on all the case is done, the scratching on bottom of the cp is just the flash and lighting.

Also this pic below appears very patchy due to lighting conditions as it was night with a fluro above but we are doing a second coat in areas.

Click to view full size!

Overall very happy with the initial outcome the paint is better in person, the 3rd top front piece will be done soon and I'm thinking of same color, inside not the smoothest or best but does the job. We will be doing a second coat in places and varnish afterwards.

Between before and after its looking much better my dad wants to paint the outside but I don't know especially with getting new stickers printed etc which I have no idea the costs of those etc and color matching and outside needs to be done properly.

Last edited: May 10, 2015