1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

My Astro City Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Revenger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

The motherboard bracket came on Christmas Eve.

Just put it together and looking at positioning I think the angle in the photo below is the way to mount it rather than on the game board holder.

Doing it this way I can create 3 shelves for game systems and use draw runners so if needed I can pull each draw out for maintenance.

I can get a ssd+ HDD holder for the PCI bracket so that can sit at the end at the door easy to swap.
    21350315561095024326.jpg

I'm thinking bottom PC, draw 1 PS2, draw 2 Wii & Pandora box.

Now the question will be how to make it purchase wood to go with the angle I have.

I think this is the better way to mount stuff.
    I think I saw somewhere someone that did shelving inside their candy cab which originally gave me the idea but can't find any photos etc.

MVIMG_20211228_183348-01.jpeg

2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Haven't done any work since half making the sub bracket.

Been fatigued, a bit low, it's been hot, haven't been motivated etc.

Will get around to more soonish I hope.

I got a G29 to upgrade from my MOMO so been using that recently.
    Also been playing the newer PC based arcade racing games Midnight Maximum Tune 6, Initial D Zero etc, need to get a lightgun setup the gun4ir system looks interesting, others use dmuleshooter.

Once I get back into things I'll post back with a update.

Socially things are a mess here and it's getting to me, lack of pretty much, a lot of people even family don't take a interest into me on their own, so it's getting to me as I want people to care about me themselves and my family especially don't talk to me, or its all about them and they don't ask how I am.

I can't have or keep friends if people aren't interested in me themselves.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  3. Sledge

Sledge Member

4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Still haven't done anything but plan to soon.

Life has really been screwed up here that I thought a few times about making a thread in lifestyle over it, but I don't really want to be seen as weird or asking people to help that aren't interested etc.

Social life is non existent here, no local friends, a lot of people don't care even family etc which hurts a lot.

I had my mom pass away a few weeks back (hadn't seen or heard from her in years) and I'm the one that has to do all the obligations as I was put down as next of kin, rest of the family wants nothing to do with it and don't even care about I'm coping through everything and my own social and mental health situations.

My anxiety and depression has gone stupid as a result and constantly feeling uncomfortable here even as I type this.

Haven't really been playing games, watching shows or doing anything much recently as a result.

Was introduced and tried making a friend group online in VRChat but I killed most of my chances with the above and freaking weirding them out.

Sleep obviously it's all over the place as a result so resting whenever my body wants.

Arcade I look at everyday and know I need to do more on it.

I could also really do with a social life as currently it's really getting to me and I'm in the worst emotional shape I've been for quite a while.
    WA Covid isn't helping much obviously.

I'm just in a bad position right now without any family or social friend support and everyday is a struggle.

Plan to do more projects and there's a few things I'm looking at though is hard being very fatigued and not in a great emotional and physical shape currently.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Sounds like you're doing it tough over there. All I can say is that small steps count. Go for a walk, try to keep a good sleep cycle, eat decent food, keep your living spaces clean and tidy as much as you can. You don't have to do all those things all the time but any you can tick off in a day will help and if you don't do any of them it can impact your mood for sure. Maybe look for another interest which is a bit more social in your area? Pub trivia? League bowling? A martial art? Not sure what you're into but it can sometimes just take one nudge to get you onto another track which leads to more possibilities.

adz, adamsleath, Trizae and 2 others like this.
  6. Trizae

Trizae Member

This.

Been following your project for awhile here and you're doing really great work!

Not sure what your disposition is but what Agg mentioned above holds true. It's not often talked about but everyone deals with the black dog sometimes, literally everyone. Some just have better coping mechanisms than the next, just start small and make sure you're looking after you first. These maybe things like your living area if you have any clutter etc start small and go at it bit by bit day to day, try your best to not apply too much at the one time, if you have any other things that you're interested in whether its working on your arcade projects working out martial arts start there so you have a personal outlet.

Try small steps and if you ever want to talk to anyone outside of your social circle feel free to dm m8. Hope you're having a better day than the last bud.

*edit* Also when you have your astro city finished I'll hundred percent smash you at third strike and you can be my player 2 in metal slug three and ketsui the death label ;)

BlueRaven and Daft_Munt like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea been trying to look and think of things to help go forward though hard.
    My social circle is small and nothing local which is a issue.

The arcade really plan to do that mby a little today will see but definitely over the next month I'll pick it up more.
    What's outstanding is getting stuff mounted inside the cabinet and wiring it up, then other stuff after that admin box and master switchboard etc.

Have another project I'm looking at a anime cosplay mask that's a longer term project and this time a kinda social one of it works out.
    Slowly getting my 3D printer running again for that.
    If anyone knows blender pm me as I can use someone to finish the design, was having someone help but doesn't seem that interested and only helped out did more only when I spoke to him.
    So will treat it as a commission so you'll get something for finishing the design.

Small steps are hard currently but yea I need to try to go forward.
    Just wish my social life was better.

BlueRaven and Trizae like this.
  8. Trizae

Trizae Member

9. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

10. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Today mounted the sub bracket to side of the coin box.
    Don't know of I'm going to bolt through the bottom or double sided tape.

Now is working out how to mount the components, I want my PC, PS2 and Pandora mounted.
    Thinking a shelf system but don't know yet the design ideas?

Sub fits in nicely on the bracket.
    Will need to get some screw inserts for it, so I can screw it to the bracket.
    MVIMG_20220328_153313-01.jpeg

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Looking good OP. Once again your workmanship shits on mine. Out of sight, out of mind. :)

DM me if you want to talk.

Trizae and BlueRaven like this.
  12. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Top work on mounting the sub man, your bracket design worked out nicely.
    Screw inserts... you're overdoing it again mate :p
    Bit of velcro tape and you're all good, that's not a 12" or 15" driver you're dealing with there! Makes it easy to remove for service/replacement when you blow it up too. :)
    I've been focussed on new full-time apprenticeship and kicking myself back into the whole work week routine so haven't been online much, but I'll ping ya on discord over the weekend.

Daft_Munt and Trizae like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Started looking at putting everything together and working through what's needed.
    Its not a quick task it seems.
    And there's not much to show currently.

First I need to make a plate for the end of the sub stand for the stepdown transformer, filter and terminal and or padding underneath.

MVIMG_20220427_154525-01.jpeg

I painted the speaker grills (not the best but better than it was) and installed stuff loosely.
    I need to finish the wiring in the other speaker when more sleeving arrives as well as fix up a hex thread that the kneedit broke.
    Wiring took a few attempts with keeping the pins in the plugs.
    Sounds good though.

MVIMG_20220430_145404-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20220501_130540-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20220501_130552-01.jpeg

Wired up the plug and tested the light need to mount it still.

MVIMG_20220501_130520-01.jpeg

Now onto questions.
    I did mount the sub with Velcro like BlueRaven was saying but on it's side / back that could easily pull apart, plus putting the sides together I want the sub secure.

So here is the sub wood, what size thread inserts should I use thinking m8 though there's also tnuts etc, anyone into wood that can advice best insert to use for this?

MVIMG_20220501_191930-01.jpeg

Also looking at the power board placement.
    The game shelf will come once I do this stuff.
    Suggestions welcome.

If anyone wants a chat or reach out feel free to PM me.
    Social life etc is still hard and struggling and why I'm working on this and my 3D printer which is and will be getting huge updates.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    BlueRaven, adz, Trizae and 1 other person like this.
  14. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Those speaker covers look good!

15. BlueRaven

Not an expert on fastener inserts but from what I have seen, many types of rivnuts/nutserts require an installation tool for best results and are more suited for use in hardwood or reasonably thick sheet metal.
    If you use them in soft MDF without a proper installation tool, they might end up spinning in the drilled holes.
    Then you've got the hassle of trying to remove them and epoxy them back into place without ruining the mounting holes (although I suppose you could just use some kind of adhesive from the get-go to avoid this).

I reckon T-nuts are the way to go. Super easy to install and more than adequate for your purposes in terms of the amount of shear force that would be necessary to rip the bolt out of the nut.
    If they can hold big heavy vibrating woofers into professional speaker cabinets (a common application) I reckon they'll do just fine for this.

Or you could just add MOAR VELCRO! :D

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I ordered inserts and will bond them into the sub.
    My thoughts are transportation with the arcade on its back in a trailer or something in the future or whatever plus not having to open it as a result.

I have a few ideas for what needs doing its just slowly getting there.

Plus I have more ideas and uses for my 3D printer with the arcade later.

sammy_b0i and BlueRaven like this.
  17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

As awesome as your work has been, please dont allow scope creep in. It drives me crazy at work.

BlueRaven likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Haha the scope has been pretty open as everything has been rough ideas until I get to them and flesh them out.

Things like sub, transformer and power board mounting I'm working out currently and more things will need to be worked out as I get there.

So there probably may be areas I could make a bracket, housing or something and other cooler stuff with the printer.

But don't worry I'm working on completing this thing and started looking at mounting all the core stuff then I'll do more admin panel etc.

Which this stage is a huge step towards finishing and getting to the mods admin panel master switchboard or whatever.

BlueRaven likes this.
  19. BlueRaven

Ah, didn't realise you were thinking of transporting it laying down with the sub basically hanging from bracket, although that makes perfect sense now I think about it. :lol:

If it were my project I probably would have just bodged something up with a bit of that perforated steel strapping used for bracing timber wall framing, screwed straight into the sub cabinet and outer cabinet.
    I like what you've done with the bracket assembly though. And nice job mounting the speakers btw.

20. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea was thinking ahead with the arcade.